Covid vaccination

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
@Kellyr
While your figure of the average death rate may have been true at the beginning of the pandemic, the figures have changed. The link below shows the statistics for the week ending 15 th Jan. The death rate has been horrendous, but if you scroll down to fig 5 you will see that this death rate is on a graph showing it by age. I cant find the exact numbers, but a quick calculation says that the percentage of over 85 yr old is only just over 40% and there is a worrying number of 45-64 yr olds

And it isnt just the death rate you have to look at. The death rate represents the NHS failure to keep people alive - which is mostly the older ones, but the hospitals do not just contain people over 80. There are large numbers of working age people who are in hospital because of covid too. If the hospitals become overwhelmed with patents they will not be able to care for these people properly and they are more likely to die - including the younger ones. They will also not have beds and staff to care for people who have heart attacks, appendicitis, road accidents etc. Staffing levels are already at the stage where staff can no longer give 1:1 care to patients in ICU.
The point of vaccines is to keep people out of hospitals

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
@canary well said! The jabs are far more effective than the annual flu jab.
Anything that can help the world get out of this mess and save lives must go ahead. I personally think we may have to have regular booster jabs in the first few years as new strains emerge. I see it as every persons duty to the whole of mankind to get the jab when offered

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
im glad about that at least you will both have protection together
@jennifer1967 At least I can now look forward in 3 weeks to having someone come and sit with my Husband while I go for a walk for some exercise and maybe carers to give me some support. I have resisted so far but it is getting to be too much on my own with trying to do everything for him and having to get up 3/4 times in the night. I feel my own health is suffering now and that it's going to be helpful to me or him. I was just beginning to feel better about things at the end of the year when this new variant was identified and that really spooked me again.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
something to look forward to. my husband has his first jab tomorrow but will still have to shield until the gvt says he doesnt have to so second jab maybe more freedom. we cant have anybody in. hopefully my son-in-law will take him if not i will put him in a taxi. he will be fine and get taxi back

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
@Kellyr
While your figure of the average death rate may have been true at the beginning of the pandemic, the figures have changed. The link below shows the statistics for the week ending 15 th Jan. The death rate has been horrendous, but if you scroll down to fig 5 you will see that this death rate is on a graph showing it by age. I cant find the exact numbers, but a quick calculation says that the percentage of over 85 yr old is only just over 40% and there is a worrying number of 45-64 yr olds

And it isnt just the death rate you have to look at. The death rate represents the NHS failure to keep people alive - which is mostly the older ones, but the hospitals do not just contain people over 80. There are large numbers of working age people who are in hospital because of covid too. If the hospitals become overwhelmed with patents they will not be able to care for these people properly and they are more likely to die - including the younger ones. They will also not have beds and staff to care for people who have heart attacks, appendicitis, road accidents etc. Staffing levels are already at the stage where staff can no longer give 1:1 care to patients in ICU.
The point of vaccines is to keep people out of hospitals
But theyre already not treating pple with other diseases. My local hospital has rapidly decreasing covid cases now but theyre not broadcasting it. This will no doubt be the case in large numbers of places. Then theres the question of the PCR test. The World Health Org recently urged caution in how its being used...very high testing cycles flagging up in many cases clinically insignificant amounts of covid but these pple instantly become covid 'cases' and then go on to be covid deaths if they die within 90 days. ..it was changed from 28 days in August. I think theres alot of confusion about most of this

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
. The World Health Org recently urged caution in how its being used...very high testing cycles flagging up in many cases clinically insignificant amounts of covid but these pple instantly become covid 'cases' and then go on to be covid deaths if they die within 90 days. ..it was changed from 28 days in August. I think theres alot of confusion about most of this

@Kellyr There is a lot of information on social media etc which is inaccurate, which is causing confusion for some people. In August England changed the way it reported covid deaths to bring it in line with the other devolved nations. It now publishes the 28 day figures daily, plus the 60 days figures weekly - see this BMJ article:

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3220

It's not clear where you are getting your information from but I suggest that you read through the attached link as it contains helpful advice about making sure that information is accurate before you share it:

Have you seen some information and you're not sure if it's accurate? Use SIFT:
  1. Stop. (Don’t accept or share a claim until you’ve checked it out)
  2. Investigate the source. (Check if the source i.e. the website/newspaper/person is trustworthy)
  3. Find better coverage. (Use fact-checking sites like this one to help you if you're unsure if new information is trustworthy)
  4. Trace claims, quotes, and media to the original context. (Check - Did they really say that? Can you find the original article?)
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/thr...ple-affected-by-dementia.121035/#post-1772934

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
I don’t understand why the 70 to 75 age group are now being vaccinated when according to data published today, no regions have vaccinated all the over 80’s yet. And I was a bit disconcerted to hear that the statistics refers to jabs being offered rather that actually carried out.
Yes that was cunning wasn't it,as you say offered

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
When vaccines are offered you have to take up the offer and make your appointment. I took my offer up on a Monday and received my jab on the Friday. I was given a choice of time. It’s not until someone takes up the offer and has the vaccine will they know it’s been accepted. This could take a couple of weeks.

How quickly an area gets through the four stages depends on how many residents in that area are in these four stages. If there is a low 80+ then they can move on down. Mine was offered through my doctor so I presume they are working through their patients by age. I’m 75 and have had my dose two weeks before the given date of completion 1-4 . So I would imagine my surgery are on track to complete on time. My surgery is not a large one and I am semi rural. I have a friend aged 82, same surgery as me and she had her jab three days before Christmas followed by the second on the 11 January., the 3 week space between, I will have to wait 3 months for my second one.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I don’t understand why the 70 to 75 age group are now being vaccinated when according to data published today, no regions have vaccinated all the over 80’s yet. And I was a bit disconcerted to hear that the statistics refers to jabs being offered rather that actually carried out.

Bear in mind that the vaccine is not mandatory so the move to the next priority group will take place when all those in the previous group have been offered it, not when 100% have been given it, as there is unlikely to be a 100% take up rate. There are statistics available to show the number of vaccines given and the take up rates too.

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
This is getting upsetting. Mum still hasn't been offered her vaccine despite appointment letters now being sent to those in the 65 to 69 age bracket. It's because she's classed as housebound and will receive the vaccine from a district nurse, but the district nurses haven't received any supplies of the vaccine yet and have no idea when it will arrive.

If Mum didn't have dementia we could have requested that she be sent an ordinary appointment and we could have transported her there. However, she wouldn't have understood or remembered the contents of the letter and would almost certainly have lost it before we managed to see it and so she would have missed her appointment.

They are guaranteeing that all over 80s in her area will have received the vaccine by Friday. Obviously this isn't going to happen. It's really upsetting and I'm feeling quite shakey.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
@Kellyr There is a lot of information on social media etc which is inaccurate, which is causing confusion for some people. In August England changed the way it reported covid deaths to bring it in line with the other devolved nations. It now publishes the 28 day figures daily, plus the 60 days figures weekly - see this BMJ article:

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3220

It's not clear where you are getting your information from but I suggest that you read through the attached link as it contains helpful advice about making sure that information is accurate before you share it:

Have you seen some information and you're not sure if it's accurate? Use SIFT:
  1. Stop. (Don’t accept or share a claim until you’ve checked it out)
  2. Investigate the source. (Check if the source i.e. the website/newspaper/person is trustworthy)
  3. Find better coverage. (Use fact-checking sites like this one to help you if you're unsure if new information is trustworthy)
  4. Trace claims, quotes, and media to the original context. (Check - Did they really say that? Can you find the original article?)
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/thr...ple-affected-by-dementia.121035/#post-1772934
I just looked at the Government website and it said how the 28 day thing had been extended. With alot of the guidance it does depend how you translate it. I also read in multiple reliable places about the WHO's advice on the PCR test and the issues with it have been widely known for quite a while. I also look at the covid Worldometer for info on cases and deaths in other countries and this throws up some suprising info. Interestingly when I looked at the ONS website a couple of weeks ago, at the death figures for 2019 and 2020 (up to Nov), there was hardly any difference in the numbers. When I looked again for this info not long after, it had been deleted and replaced with weekly stats and mortality rates. This was on the very day they announced the apparent excess deaths for last year which seemed rather odd. I think even so called official stats can be changed and manipulated so we're all abit in the dark quite frankly!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has had his jab this afternoon. i am also on the housebound list but im not to cat 6. its just taken a week for my doctor to give permission for housebound team to give me a blood test. i need to just sit things out until its my turn. if im in the house and my husband is shielding the rate would be low anyway as not mixing with anyone. its a scary time which has heightened fears. hang in there Milvus. she will not be forgotten

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
One of my daughters, age 58, got a phone call late morning - can you come to a hub this afternoon, answer was 'yes' , just got email to say she has had a Pfizer and is now waiting 15 minutes before driving home.
Not in Greater Manchester, in an adjoining county.

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
I've contacted my mother's MSP who also happens to be the deputy first minister of Scotland, to say that her health visitors can't vaccinate her at home as they have no supplies of the vaccine. He has replied asking for details and promises to do something about it. Result (hopefully)!

Update: the MP's office contacted the medical practice who told them they haven't received supplies of the vaccine. That's exactly the problem I took to them in the first place! So basically we'll just have to wait.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
I just looked at the Government website and it said how the 28 day thing had been extended. With alot of the guidance it does depend how you translate it. I also read in multiple reliable places about the WHO's advice on the PCR test and the issues with it have been widely known for quite a while. I also look at the covid Worldometer for info on cases and deaths in other countries and this throws up some suprising info. Interestingly when I looked at the ONS website a couple of weeks ago, at the death figures for 2019 and 2020 (up to Nov), there was hardly any difference in the numbers. When I looked again for this info not long after, it had been deleted and replaced with weekly stats and mortality rates. This was on the very day they announced the apparent excess deaths for last year which seemed rather odd. I think even so called official stats can be changed and manipulated so we're all abit in the dark quite frankly!

Whilst every death is a sad end to a person's life, it is inevitable, with annual UK all-cause mortality in the years 2015 to 2018 of around 600,000 annually, averaging in the order of 1650 persons per day.

It is so important to make the most of one's life & loved ones whilst one can, but for nearly 11 months now this has been stopped for those most needing that love, the only category of person, if I am not mistaken, who has been denied the possibility of a family member bubble.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
Whilst every death is a sad end to a person's life, it is inevitable, with annual UK all-cause mortality in the years 2015 to 2018 of around 600,000 annually, averaging in the order of 1650 persons per day.

It is so important to make the most of one's life & loved ones whilst one can, but for nearly 11 months now this has been stopped for those most needing that love, the only category of person, if I am not mistaken, who has been denied the possibility of a family member bubble.
@Lone Wolf if you havent already done so, please write to/email your MP and, or the MP in the constituency of your carehome and ask them to support the bill to make family members of residents, Essential Family Carers which has been drafted. I cant send links but its being done via the Human Rights Committee and H Harman MP.