Covid vaccination

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
What intrigues me in the higher priority grouping for vaccinations is that, apart from front line health workers, selection is entirely by age

The younger clinically extremely vulnerable (excluding under 16 and pregnant who come lower done the list) only get priority by being added to the 70+ age group.

This implies that age overrides clinical conditions in terms of potential severity of infection, yet the elderly are just told to be careful unlike the clinically extremely vulnerable who have very strict guidance.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i think the extremely vulnerable should have gone up with care staff and care home residents. my husband is 72 so hes had to wait for over 80s care staff and over 75s but they have to have some kind of priority system and every person could make a pitch why their loved one should have the jab before anyone else.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The younger clinically extremely vulnerable (excluding under 16 and pregnant who come lower done the list) only get priority by being added to the 70+ age group.

This implies that age overrides clinical conditions in terms of potential severity of infection, yet the elderly are just told to be careful unlike the clinically extremely vulnerable who have very strict guidance.

There is a lack of data regarding the mortality risks to the clinically extremely vulnerable because they have been shielding. JCVI advice relating to vaccination priorities states "Current evidence strongly indicates that the single greatest risk of mortality from COVID-19 is increasing age and that the risk increases exponentially with age" however they also refer to available data with regards to the clinically extremely vulnerable as 'likely to be underestimating the risk':

Individuals considered extremely clinically vulnerable have been shielding for much of the pandemic. This means that available data is likely to underestimate the risk in this group. Many of those who are clinically extremely vulnerable are in the oldest age groups and will be among the first to receive vaccine. Considering data from the first wave in the UK, the overall risk of mortality for clinically extremely vulnerable younger adults is estimated to be roughly the same as the risk to persons aged 70 to 74 years.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I don’t understand why the 70 to 75 age group are now being vaccinated when according to data published today, no regions have vaccinated all the over 80’s yet. And I was a bit disconcerted to hear that the statistics refers to jabs being offered rather that actually carried out.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Second doses are being given at around 2k/day.
End of session left over use?
2021-01-31_094112.png

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations .

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I think a lot of it must be with logistics. I’ve just had my first dose and I’m under seventy. It looks like all the local gp practices have taken over the local university and are doing as many people as quickly as possible. If you are housebound it must be trickier to get the vaccination to you. My mother in law who is 93 was supposed to have her about ten days ago but apparently there was a problem with supply. Not sure if she’s had it yet.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
it depends how big the hubs are. im going to be waiting longer as they will have to come to me.but im not till cat 6 with the unpaid carers who they class with underlying medical conditions so i dont get it any faster but glad my husband is getting it tuesday

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The logistics of keeping to a strict timetable are horrendous, even at a local level.
My CCG is working out of 4 hubs and also using mobile teams.
The published plan is:

1. Phase 1: Care home residents and staff (over 3,400 people)
    December 2020 to January 2021
  2. Phase 1: People aged 80 years and over plus health and social care workers (over 14,000 people)
    December 2020 to February 2021
  3. Phase 1: People aged 75 years and over (over 7,000 people)January 2021 to February 2021
  4. Phase 1: People aged 70-74 years plus those aged 16-69 who are clinically extremely vulnerable (over 15,000 people)
    January to February 2021
  5. Phase 2: People aged 65-69 years (over 9,800 people)
    February to March 2021
  6. Phase 2: People aged 16-64 in an at risk group, including carers (over 21,000 people)March to April 2021
  7. Phase 2: People aged 60-64 years (over 14,900 people)
    March to April 2021
  8. Phase 2: People aged 55-59 years of age (over 13,500 people)
    March to April 2021
  9. Phase 2: People aged 50-54 years of age (over 13,500 people)
    March to April 2021
  10. Phase 3: People aged 18-49 (over 70,000 people)
    Target date - end of September 2021
A few phase 2 people in priority 5 have been vaccinated in hubs before phase 1 priority 4 was complete, they received Pfizer which was of no use to the mobile teams who had limited AstraZenica.

The problem of people only being able to be given a specific vaccine will raise it's head again in a few weeks when second jabs are going to be given to the higher priority groups whilst the lower groups are still receiving their first.

I await my second Pfizer jab some time in the next 9 weeks, plus time for it to be effective means I'll be lucky to get full protection before Easter.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dislike reading that list. Because of our age and the fact that OH does not have a diagnosis means that although OHs neurologists think he should be shielded (so he has been, albeit unofficially) , it means that we are both down in phase 2 level 7.

I think we will be lucky if we get full protection before Autumn

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@canary
The neurologist can discretionally put your OH on the official list.
A marker will be put on his NHS record meaning he will be group 4 phase 1 and should get a local invite from his GP and also nationally if you live within 45 minutes of a national hub.

'Definition of clinically extremely vulnerable groups

!. You have one or more of conditions listed below, or
2. Your clinician or GP has added you to the Shielded Patient List because, based on their clinical judgement, they deem to you be at higher risk of serious illness if you catch the virus.

Scroll to end of list to see
  • other people who have also been classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, based on clinical judgement and an assessment of their needs. GPs and hospital clinicians have been provided with guidance to support these decisions'
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...xtremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19#cev ,

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@canary
If you are registered with his GP as his carer you should be in group 6 phase 2.
If he gets an invite you could accompany him as carer and grovel politely to a senior looking clinician hoping it's at a time when there are spare doses.
Have your NHS number ready.

More details on mitigation of carers is in proposal posted in

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/covid-vaccination.125655/post-1770330 .

If you follow this link you will go to a post higher in this thread and you could get confused, if you do just close all browsers and re-enter site.

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
@jennifer 1967 it is difficult isn't, we all have different circumstances to deal with. If you are a full time carer and receive Carers allowance, you get priority, because the person you are caring for would have no one to look after them if you were ill, but that is the same for Carers who are retired and not entitled to Carers Allowance. If you qualify for Carers Allowance you would be of working age so younger than full time carers in their 70's and 80's.
I took my Husband for his vaccination yesterday morning, I had booked the last appointment of the allocated morning session to give me as much time as possible to get there. They asked if it was one or both of us, I said that unfortunately it was just my Husband. They checked with the other Doctor doing the vaccinations and it turned out they had 3 spare vaccinations (the Pfizer vaccine) between them, so they were happy to do mine while we were there. Such a relief, not so much getting the jab but not having to get us both back there at another time. We are both over 75 so not jumping the queue.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I live in the NW which is apparently going at a fast rate through the population, but I know of several people over 80 who are still waiting yet other friends aged 68 have had theirs - neither have any medical needs. It seems a bit bonkers to me but I’m grateful that at this rate I might get my jab in a month or so ( age 64)

My more elderly friends all go to one particular GP who is not connected to the larger health centre so that might explain the slower rate. They have checked and they have not been forgotten!

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
The logistics of keeping to a strict timetable are horrendous, even at a local level.
My CCG is working out of 4 hubs and also using mobile teams.
The published plan is:

1. Phase 1: Care home residents and staff (over 3,400 people)
    December 2020 to January 2021
  2. Phase 1: People aged 80 years and over plus health and social care workers (over 14,000 people)
    December 2020 to February 2021
  3. Phase 1: People aged 75 years and over (over 7,000 people)January 2021 to February 2021
  4. Phase 1: People aged 70-74 years plus those aged 16-69 who are clinically extremely vulnerable (over 15,000 people)
    January to February 2021
  5. Phase 2: People aged 65-69 years (over 9,800 people)
    February to March 2021
  6. Phase 2: People aged 16-64 in an at risk group, including carers (over 21,000 people)March to April 2021
  7. Phase 2: People aged 60-64 years (over 14,900 people)
    March to April 2021
  8. Phase 2: People aged 55-59 years of age (over 13,500 people)
    March to April 2021
  9. Phase 2: People aged 50-54 years of age (over 13,500 people)
    March to April 2021
  10. Phase 3: People aged 18-49 (over 70,000 people)
    Target date - end of September 2021
A few phase 2 people in priority 5 have been vaccinated in hubs before phase 1 priority 4 was complete, they received Pfizer which was of no use to the mobile teams who had limited AstraZenica.

The problem of people only being able to be given a specific vaccine will raise it's head again in a few weeks when second jabs are going to be given to the higher priority groups whilst the lower groups are still receiving their first.

I await my second Pfizer jab some time in the next 9 weeks, plus time for it to be effective means I'll be lucky to get full protection before Easter.
Given the average age of death from covid is 82, I think its curious why they are talking about vaccinating anyone under 60. If the vaccines cant keep the people who have them safe, whats the point. The problem is the phase 3 trials are still being conducted and theres not enough info re how protected people will be.