Court of Protection

Michael42

Jun 28, 2014
Hi, where on this site would I find help in completing the Court of Protection papers? Has anyone completed then without the help of a solicitor.

One question to start is what's the difference between these two statements and what does it mean when it states you do not need permission to apply?

COP Application pack 1
This Pack Is for Those Applications That Relate to Property and Affairs Only and You Do Not Need Permission to Apply

or

COP Application pack 2
This Pack Is for Those Applications That Relate to Property and Affairs Only and You Need Permission to Apply. This Pack Includes the Following Files. 09B, 09F, COP1, COP1 Guidance Notes (For Use With COP1, COP1A, COP1B, COP2 & COP4), COP1A, COP2, COP3, COP3 Guidance Notes and COP42

Any help would be most welcome. Thanks

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
Hi Michael. :)

Generally speaking, for finance Deputyships you should go with option 1 - don't need permission to apply. The second option is for more particular issues that can arise to do with wills and trusts.

Option 1 will allow you to do a great deal - operate bank accounts, deal with all kinds of bodies (like HMRC) and companies (utilities etc), as well as selling or renting out property (if you ask for this to be included in the order). Unless there is something very complex and specific then there's no reason not go for it. I've managed two Deputyships without a solicitor.

tealover

Sep 8, 2011
Hello,
I have just completed them without the use of a solicitor, posted them off on Thursday.

There are guidance notes which are really helpful, the cop people are very helpful if you ring with questions, but the best help I got was from the lovely people on talking point.

Get a big notebook, supply of coffee and biscuits and a couple of free hours and search this section, there is a vast knowledge all of which I found incredibly helpful. I also printed 2 sets of forms, one on a coloured paper and I used that one until I was absolutely happy, then copied it to the forms I then sent off

Good luck x

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Hello,
I have just completed them without the use of a solicitor, posted them off on Thursday.

There are guidance notes which are really helpful, the cop people are very helpful if you ring with questions, but the best help I got was from the lovely people on talking point.

Get a big notebook, supply of coffee and biscuits and a couple of free hours and search this section, there is a vast knowledge all of which I found incredibly helpful. I also printed 2 sets of forms, one on a coloured paper and I used that one until I was absolutely happy, then copied it to the forms I then sent off

Good luck x

What's the basis to use coloured paper - is it so you know which is draft version and the other the proper one? Printing two forms is a brilliant idea.

tealover

Sep 8, 2011
What's the basis to use coloured paper - is it so you know which is draft version and the other the proper one? Printing two forms is a brilliant idea.

Yes, I used lilac paper to create my replies. When I was happy with them I copied word for word onto the white copies which I then sent off.

X

rosie6151

Jul 3, 2014
Help with Court of Protection papers as to why you wish to be a deputy

Good Morning Everyone

I am filling in some court of protection forms for my Father and wish to do them properly !! He has been in care now for 3 years and because I have been ill this has not been done, but care home fees need to be paid. He has a house to be sold as well.

What do you find is the best thing to put for the Statement to the court as to why you wish to be a Deputy ? I don't want to mess it up !!:(

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Good Morning Everyone

I am filling in some court of protection forms for my Father and wish to do them properly !! He has been in care now for 3 years and because I have been ill this has not been done, but care home fees need to be paid. He has a house to be sold as well.

What do you find is the best thing to put for the Statement to the court as to why you wish to be a Deputy ? I don't want to mess it up !!:(

Just say you don't believe your father has capacity to manage his affairs and therefore you are in the best position to do this and hadn't done so before he lost capacity as you were too ill.