Council tax reduction

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
Found out yesterday that live in carers who do 35 or more hours of caring can be disregarded for council tax. Mum gets 25% reduction for having a mental impairment and now a further 25% reduction will be applied as I live with and care for mum.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
and now a further 25% reduction will be applied as I live with and care for mum.
Correct, before members get excited not available if caring for parent or own child.
@nitram i think you are mistaken, you can claim a discount for caring for a parent subject to eligibility. The person you care for can’t be your husband, wife, civil partner or child under 18 to claim disregard

Apologies, my senior moment, thanks @chessieram

Last edited:

chessieram

Feb 14, 2024
@nitram i think you are mistaken, you can claim a discount for caring for a parent subject to eligibility. The person you care for can’t be your husband, wife, civil partner or child under 18 to claim disregard

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I got a 25% discount when we both lived here, a "qualifying benefit" for her so effectively I was classed as me was classed as a "mandatory disregard" frposes.
Live in carers depends on the relationship, family or paid for carers.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I got a 25% discount when we both lived here, a "qualifying benefit" for her so effectively I was classed as me was classed as a "mandatory disregard,live in carers depends on the relationship, family or paid for carers.