Council Tax rebate

laptop

Dec 2, 2017
Following the Martin Lewis (MSE) program, I applied for the tax rebate for my husband with dementia & was told because my son lives with us, because he cannot afford a house, we are not entitled to even the 25% reduction? anyone else tried?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You have to understand how council tax works. If there are two or more people living in a property, full council tax is payable unless someone is eligible for some discount. If one person is completely disregarded due to SMI, it will still depend on how many people are in the property. If the person with the disregard was the only occupant, no council tax should be payable. If there were two people, one disregard would trigger the single person discount. If there are still two people in the property after the person is disregarded - no council tax discount.

However, if your son was your husband's carer, he could be disregarded as well (this does not work for spouses I'm afraid).

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
As Beate points out, certain other criteria need to be met before any council tax discount/rebate can be applied for a person with dementia.

I have my adult son and daughter living at home. A couple of years back my son would have been disregarded for council tax as he was a full time student, but even then we still would not have met the criteria for any council tax discount for my husband because my daughter was living here.