Council tax exemption

Greddy

Jan 21, 2017
My mum is exempt from paying council tax due to mental impairment,she lives alone.Can I as her main carer claim carers allowance,I do not work and do not claim any benefits.Mum claims attendance allowance( high rate).

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Greddy
here's the link to the GOV site
https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/overview
your mum gets Attendance Allowance, so that's part of the qualification
if you provide 35 hours of care in the week, that's another part
as long as you don't earn more than £116 a week (sorry, at first I read your post as you do work; if you don't at all, then this earnings limit won't be a problem!)

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I don't think the CT exemption is at all relevant, the conditions for getting carer's allowance are:
The person you care for
The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:
Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
Attendance Allowance
Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
Armed Forces Independence Payment

and you do the following:
You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:
you’re 16 or over
you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
you’re not in full-time education
you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
you earn no more than £116 a week after tax and some expenses - these will be assessed when you apply
you’re not subject to immigration control

It's on the link below where you can apply on-line, as I say the CT has no bearing on the situation, she gets AA which is a qualifying benefit so as long as you do the above then apply.

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/overview