Council tax discount and higher rate AA

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
I am supporting my neighbour whose husband has got severe Alzheimer’s. Talking to her today, I usually go and visit once a week, help with the shaving and changing of clothes. I have got my own health problem and could not support more. Was surprised she did not know about the 25% discount council tax. She gets carers allowance and he gets basic AA. I told her she should claim higher rate as her husband cannot do anything. He can only eat and drink. Mobility poor and keeps falling down. She has to do everything for him and he is not cooperative. Very uncooperative with personal hygiene. Does not want to wear pad and pee all over the floor and will not use a bucket, urinal is out of question? She has got rid of all her nice furnitures and ornaments, the room is bare with washable hard chair. Requires 24/7 supervision. What does she need to do to have a review of AA and council tax.? He has deteriorated for past five years and is going downhill so fast. Thanks

Lawrence G

Jan 2, 2021
I am supporting my neighbour whose husband has got severe Alzheimer’s. Talking to her today, I usually go and visit once a week, help with the shaving and changing of clothes. I have got my own health problem and could not support more. Was surprised she did not know about the 25% discount council tax. She gets carers allowance and he gets basic AA. I told her she should claim higher rate as her husband cannot do anything. He can only eat and drink. Mobility poor and keeps falling down. She has to do everything for him and he is not cooperative. Very uncooperative with personal hygiene. Does not want to wear pad and pee all over the floor and will not use a bucket, urinal is out of question? She has got rid of all her nice furnitures and ornaments, the room is bare with washable hard chair. Requires 24/7 supervision. What does she need to do to have a review of AA and council tax.? He has deteriorated for past five years and is going downhill so fast. Thanks
Get in touch with their G P who should be able to help, also get a help support paper from the receptionist about who to contact for help. Maybe a call to the local council office about reduced council tax. Because I have to help the wife during the night and clean up etc I get the higher rate of attendance allowance, that is now just over £400 a month which helps for a carer to come and help the wife with personal care etc. I also find it helpful to buy some thing's in bulk so that I don't have to go to the shop so often and some times it work's out cheaper. My wife is not as bad as you have to put up with although some days I have to do three lot's of washing. I hope that information helps you.

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
Get in touch with their G P who should be able to help, also get a help support paper from the receptionist about who to contact for help. Maybe a call to the local council office about reduced council tax. Because I have to help the wife during the night and clean up etc I get the higher rate of attendance allowance, that is now just over £400 a month which helps for a carer to come and help the wife with personal care etc. I also find it helpful to buy some thing's in bulk so that I don't have to go to the shop so often and some times it work's out cheaper. My wife is not as bad as you have to put up with although some days I have to do three lot's of washing. I hope that information helps you.
Thank you for the information. Did you fill the form yourself as if it is your wife doing it. Had a quick look with the forms, there is a mention of help with bath, shower dressing and undressing. What do you write as he cannot do any of those activities? He requires 24/7 care with everything except he can feed himself with soft food. She has to lock the door as he wanders and fell and had to be picked by the police and ambulance. All the questions relate to a specific activities and he cannot perform any of them. The wife is 60 and hubby is 84. I will have to help her with the forms as she only uses her phone or direct her to the right people.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I told her she should claim higher rate as her husband cannot do anything
If she contacts DWP they will send a claim form, there used to be a shortened version for claiming a change from basic to higher allowance.

Get help from AgeUK or CAB, they will help with words and phrases showing that help is required overnight.

Lawrence G

Jan 2, 2021
Thank you for the information. Did you fill the form yourself as if it is your wife doing it. Had a quick look with the forms, there is a mention of help with bath, shower dressing and undressing. What do you write as he cannot do any of those activities? He requires 24/7 care with everything except he can feed himself with soft food. She has to lock the door as he wanders and fell and had to be picked by the police and ambulance. All the questions relate to a specific activities and he cannot perform any of them. The wife is 60 and hubby is 84. I will have to help her with the forms as she only uses her phone or direct her to the right people.
I had help with the forms from my niece who has had years of doing things herself and I think that I had to say that I was filling the from on the wife's behave. My wife, Doreen, has short term memory problem , mixed dementia and Alzheimer memory problem,also diabetic with tablets and insulin so I have to make sure that she has these each morning and evening. I do all the house work, shopping,cooking, washing and organising her clothing etc, help her in the shower and so on. I mainly work to a set program when I can which I find helps her as well. Doreen also has aggressive talking with a few swear words thrown in for which I tell anyone coming into contact with her. I look on myself as lucky that we get along okay and the problems are not as bad as you have. I find that Doreen gets worse when other people come to visit, it's like a warning off.