Council demanding financial details when we are "self funding"

sisterlouise

Oct 7, 2021
Hi All.

I would appreciate some advice and opinions about this situation.

My brother was diagnosed with terminal brain tumours in 2017 after radiaton & chemo was simply told there is nothhing else they could do. He has gradually declined, but still with us and was put into a nursing home for assessment.

I and my mum have lasting power of attourney and can see that he is lucky enough to have savings and property that can cover the nursing home costs for at least a year.

My brother was discharged from hospital to a home to "assess his needs" We were asked to a meeting that we thought was purely clinical only to meet with a council care rep who pretty much demanded sight of all my brothers bank statements and investments sighting "duty of care" as they have agreed to pay for a SRN aprox £140 pw . They want proof that he doesnt need funding.

The care home costs £800 a week and he has funds to cover it for over a year why should I have to "prove it" surely it should be between US and the carehome to deal with these fees. Speaking priately to the nursing home we have proved sufficient funds for them to approve his place but the coucil wants "fukk disclosure"

Got the distinct feeling the council rep was on a power trip with the "ambush" meeting.

I am going to ask them to "put the request in writing"

I can understand proof when you ARE asking for funding, but asking for proof you DONT seems dam odd.

Obviously I am emotional about this subject and I may be making a mountain out of a molehill but I want to protect my brothers privacy

I would be grateful for any ideas and hear your exoeriences

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I agree with you, this demand seems extremely odd and I think you have done the right thing in asking for it to be put in writing. You might ask them to quote the legal basis for their request. The £140 a week sounds like the nursing element of care that is funded by the NHS, is that what it is? That isn't means tested. Definitely wait until you get this demand in writing - which might not happen.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I assume they are paying for the SRN as he needs some nursing care. Have you applied for CHC for him? Often if this is refused you get an amount towards nursing care instead but it's paid directly to the care home.

I can't think of any reason they need to know about his finances.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I assume they are paying for the SRN as he needs some nursing care. Have you applied for CHC for him? Often if this is refused you get an amount towards nursing care instead but it's paid directly to the care home.

I can't think of any reason they need to know about his finances.
You are right but that's paid by the NHS not the local authority....

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
'Funds for a year' is really not that long.

Presumably at some point in the near future you will be asking for funding from them- Many homes ask self funders for proof of at least two years funds.

Is to see proof that he can self fund so unreasonable? I dont think so.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Have you asked the nursing home if, once you reach the point of needing the Local Authority to fund your brother’s care they will accept the LA weekly rate? LA rates will very likely be way below the figure you will be paying for the 12 months you will be self funding. If the nursing home say no then the difference will have to be found by a third party or a move to another home that will. It’s always best to find out well in advance what might happen and be prepared. Sadly residential care is never easy or straight forward.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH is just on the cusp of requiring LA funding. I was told to contact SS financial office when he reached the point of only being self-funded for another 6 months. It can take a while for the process to go through - especially at the moment where there is quite a long back log.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
About this time last year (or a little earlier) I contacted our Local Authority as my wife's funds were likely to fall below the threshold. A full financial assessment was then carried out. This was worth doing as it meant that an agreed timetable was in place so that there was no gap between my wife fully self-funding (for 2 more months) and the council starting to make a contribution. This was eased by my wife's home accepting the LA rate.

If there is a prospect of needing a council to contribute within a few months going ahead with a financial assessment may be helpful.

I can't see that this impinges on personal 'privacy' in any way. When it comes down to it, full disclosure of income and assets going back some time (a year in our case) will be required in order for a financial assessment to be completed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susan Martin