Not sure if this is right? My name is Susan and my husband Tom has had Dementia for at least 8 years. As far as I know it is Vascular.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A problem with a stair gate is that Tom will try to climb over it resulting in a nasty tumble down the stairs.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'm with nitram, not a fan of the idea, climbing over particularly at the top of the stairs could be dangerous, bottom of the stairs risky too.
Sorry that's not much help, but is someone is even halfway physically fit it could be a risk. K

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Probably won't understand or have the patience to fiddle with the lock. Mine would either climb over or bash it out of the way. Might make the situation more dangerous than it was

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A stair gate at the bottom of the stairs might work but even so your Tom would need watching 24:7 just in case he climbed over.

What about a curtain like barrier , on a wire, dropping from the bannister to the floor and in effect hiding the stairs? Do you think it worth trying @SueSmile ? If Tom has had dementia for 8 years he may not know what he doesn’t see.

Last edited by a moderator: