Could it be Alzheimer's?

Yony

Sep 4, 2019
Good evening all,

I am new here and thought to share what brought me and to ask you for advice.

My dad in law passed away unexpectedly 8 months ago and I got to spend more time with my mom in law (69 y.o.) as she moved in with us for a couple of months after his death. She is back home now and we are in touch daily and try to visit her more often (we live in a different country).

My dad in law was a good man but had a difficult character, insisting to arrange and manage all in his household, and I've always known my mom in law as a woman comfortable with being dependant on her husband and having all taken care of by him. Therefore, I viewed her behaviour (before his death and in the first months after) as a result of those family dynamics and of course sorrow and general confusion about her life after loosing her pillar-partner.

However, with time passing and me getting to know her better, I started noticing a pattern - she is more and more obsessed with things - collecting unneeded items, hiding and storing them like a squirrel, often forgetting she has them; constantly panicking about random things such as weather changes; loosing her balance; changing moods; not willing to go out of the house on her own; calling her son 5 times in a row (even though she knows he cannot take calls during the day) for very trivial reasons, sometimes saying she could not remember calling him that many times. She often says she has panic attacks and falls on the street, not being able to explain why she felt/panicked, etc. Then she has days and weeks being sort of fine (balance issues still present, as well as constant conversations about her not feeling well).

Frankly speaking, I did think that, in a way, she wanted to keep our attention and have her son (only child) provide the daily care she was used to receiveing from her husband, therefore exaggerated her problems. But I do not see a change in her behaviour, even after we did all we could to make her feel supported and taken care of. Today we found out that she went out shopping near her home and blocked in the middle of the street when crossing, panicked and could not move further and was helped by strangers to come to senses and get home.

Her mother, my husband's grandmother, had Alzheimer's. I didn't get to meet her, as I met my husband years after her death, but know that her last years were a challenge for the entire family and it all started with her simply being weird and not managing well daily chores.

Could the reason for my mom in law's behaviour be an early stage of Alzheimer's? What is a gentle way to suggest an assessment? She would freak out if I am direct, and I also wouldn't want to stress my husband, he has already been through a lot this year.

Thank you so much for any comment/thought you share with me.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Yony and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

The best thing to do in this situation is have a chat with her GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you. A GP will often collude with the family to have a person called in to the surgery for a general check-up, like a well woman check, and then include checks for the cause of any symptoms you have outlined. This is a common enough thing.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Yony
a warm welcome to DTP

from your description, I can see why you're concerned about your mom in law's health, whatever is behind the issues you mention
if she is falling while alone she is at risk of harm, whether in her home or out and about

I assume she is in the UK, though you are in another country

personally, I would write to her GP outlining all your concerns, so the GP is aware ... they may not be able to discuss anything with you, due to patient confidentiality, but they have to note information given them ... ask if they might visit your mim in law or invite her for eg a 'well woman' age related check up, when they can check her over generally

I'd also contact her Local Authority Adult Services and explain your worries as the falls are making her a 'vulnerable adult' ... they may be able to assess her for any care needs, and she would at least be on their radar

maybe see if the local AgeUK office can help, eg with someone to go shopping with her
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/