Coping with aggression and non-compliance

Librarymaid

Oct 22, 2012
My brother was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimers about 6 years ago. He's now 68. My husband and I try to support my SiL and her sons as they cope with the varying stages this disease is taking on my brother's health. It's agonising watching the effect this is having on their family and we try to call in once or twice a week - as much to be a sounding-board for my SiL to rant at as anything else!

The main issue now is that my brother will not co-operate in any way, most of the time. Getting him washed and dressed is a major problem as he will physically resist any attempt to get him to change his clothes and will not get out of bed, even though he's wet it. He will often remove his incontinence pads and leave them lying around - ANYWHERE! If we call round when he's like this he will either be quietly civil but not agree to anything we say or else he will just walk out of the room.

It's the same with trying to get him to take his medication!

Occasionally he will respond to someone else whilst ignoring his wife - he really seems to be nasty towards her at times. He doesn't know who any of us are but he particularly gets annoyed about 'that woman'! My SiL is breaking her heart over all this, even though she knows it's the illness that is causing it. After a day of cajoling, encouraging, pleading bullying to get anything done she is exhausted, physically and mentally. She herself has health issues so the time is coming when she will not be able to cope. She's contacted social services to see what help she can get but hell will likely freeze over before they respond, if previous requests are anything to go by.

She was going to the hospital to have a blood test herself this morning, I'd said I'd come and sit in with him, but she texted me and said he was just being so foul that one of her sons had ducked out of work to deal with him while she went.

Any ideas about dealing with this 'resistance'? So far he has not got physically abusive but one of these days I can imagine him pushing her downstairs just to get her out of his way. It breaks my heart to see this man, my 'big bruvva', who was so loving and gentle, turn into this nasty aggressive person.

Librarymaid

Mammamu

Jan 10, 2017
Bucks
Hi,

So sorry to hear you are in this situation.....

I had/having similar experience with my parents in law. Mother in law looked after her husband for over 14 years!! One day last year in September she had a break down and we had an emergency meeting with Social Services and a 14 day respite was arranged.

I would strongly advice you to try to NOT wait that long!!!

If all is done in a rush its very easy that "things"get missed.
Try to plan it with the help of GP,any other medicals involved in his care. Stress that the situation is getting out of hand and help is needed ASAP.
I don't want to sound negative but from experience it takes a long time to find the help that suits the persons individual needs now and for the future.

Not sure were in the UK you are? and what local carers org you have in your area?
I'm in Bucks and Carers Bucks are brilliant!!

If you want feel free to e-mail me not sure I can help or fix it but happy to listen & share my knowledge.

That's all for now....:eek:

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Your SIL could look at getting carers in to see if having someone else assist with washing/dressing will make your brother more compliant. She could also talk to the Memory Clinic/GP to see if any medication could help with the aggression.

I think your SIL should be prepared though to consider care homes and if she doesn't already know how it would be funded, find this info out from SS so she knows how she stands financially, especially if the LA are likely to be funding it. Being at home isn't always going to be the right environment for PWD if their behaviour is very challenging and the carer feels threatened. One person can only do so much to look after a loved one and the demands of the illness are so great :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch