Continuing Health Care - any successes in receiving this grant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutpea

Nov 4, 2016
I will be requesting a CHC checklist to be done for my dad who has some challenging (aggressive and physical) behaviour during sundowning. I am interested to know if anyone has actually been successfully in obtaining the grant as I hear it is almost impossible to get. Any advice gratefully received.

ossettbob

Jan 26, 2017
After my & my wife`s experience short answer.....NO. My wife`s sister was the same when she was assessed last April and she was awarded Funded Nursing Care. She was then assessed again on 7 December. She wasn`t violent then but she was bed-ridden, had to be hoisted to be washed & dressed, barely eating or drinking & mainly force fed. I disagreed with the assessor as I thought she should be awarded CHC & not FNC. I even asked about fast track end of life but she said she wasn`t ill enough. My wife received the letter awarding FNC on 3 January but, unfortunately, my SIL passed away on
2 January. I sent an e-mail to NHS but got no reply. By the way, the nursing home received over £4000 on 2 January so they owed £1975 after taking off the 2 weeks which they charge after the patient died. My wife is still chasing them for that payment after being told it was direct debited on 19 January. On Monday, they said they were just too busy with backlog to pay it. So, might lead to legal action. Their payment terms for paying the fees are payment in advance on 1st of every month by direct debit. If not done on that date, they charge interest on a daily basis. They all say it`s not all done to save or make money which is rubbish !!!!!.
Sorry about going into all this detail but I`m still incensed with the whole system.

PS. My wife now has probate but Natwest will not accept it until it has been passed by their head office. Another rip-off.

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
I’m replying to this to bump it to the top again to hopefully get more replies for you.

Incensed by all this is an understatement !!
We should not have to be fighting, this is a terrible disease and should automatically be funded by NHS
We cannot just sit back and allow this government to ignore the unfairness of this.
My thoughts are, fight, fight and keep fighting and appeal if need be, get as much info as you can, read up on criteria / wording ect, and explain worst day. Threads like this go quiet because there’s not enough people fighting.
It’s time for change let’s make it happen.!!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband was granted CHC funding which was granted along with 1:1 care. The 1:1 care was for 24hours a day and that decreased as his mobility declined. He had the funding for 4 years until he passed away.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband's needs were complex medical ones. He did not need hoisting, he was not incontinent and he did not need feeding when CHC was granted. All these came into the mix as he progressed through the disease.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
After my & my wife`s experience short answer.....NO. My wife`s sister was the same when she was assessed last April and she was awarded Funded Nursing Care. She was then assessed again on 7 December. She wasn`t violent then but she was bed-ridden, had to be hoisted to be washed & dressed, barely eating or drinking & mainly force fed. I disagreed with the assessor as I thought she should be awarded CHC & not FNC. I even asked about fast track end of life but she said she wasn`t ill enough. My wife received the letter awarding FNC on 3 January but, unfortunately, my SIL passed away on
2 January. I sent an e-mail to NHS but got no reply. By the way, the nursing home received over £4000 on 2 January so they owed £1975 after taking off the 2 weeks which they charge after the patient died. My wife is still chasing them for that payment after being told it was direct debited on 19 January. On Monday, they said they were just too busy with backlog to pay it. So, might lead to legal action. Their payment terms for paying the fees are payment in advance on 1st of every month by direct debit. If not done on that date, they charge interest on a daily basis. They all say it`s not all done to save or make money which is rubbish !!!!!.
Sorry about going into all this detail but I`m still incensed with the whole system.

PS. My wife now has probate but Natwest will not accept it until it has been passed by their head office. Another rip-off.
Sorry, just your last point. I use the same bank. I had to take the certified copy of the LPA in, theynphotocopied it and it was all done instantly. I did have to make an appointment at the branch before I went in.

Smrtber

Dec 12, 2016
Mum currently in hospital but not being treated for an medical issues. She was living in a residential home but they say they can not meet her needs and are unwilling to take her back. Social worker has said she now needs nursing care. I asked if this meant she would qualify for CHC. In process of waiting for an assessment and trying to find Mum a new home.Mum went into hospital with a suspected DVT but this was quickly ruled out. Prior to this admission she was being dressed daily and talked to lounge, using hoist/wheelchair, was not totally incontinent and was eating and drinking with assistance. Her decline in hospital has been dramatic. She is bed bound, doubly incontinent and eating and drinking very little and of course totally confused. Hence the need for nursing care. One would think that this would qualify her for CHC but who knows?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Mum currently in hospital but not being treated for an medical issues. She was living in a residential home but they say they can not meet her needs and are unwilling to take her back. Social worker has said she now needs nursing care. I asked if this meant she would qualify for CHC. In process of waiting for an assessment and trying to find Mum a new home.Mum went into hospital with a suspected DVT but this was quickly ruled out. Prior to this admission she was being dressed daily and talked to lounge, using hoist/wheelchair, was not totally incontinent and was eating and drinking with assistance. Her decline in hospital has been dramatic. She is bed bound, doubly incontinent and eating and drinking very little and of course totally confused. Hence the need for nursing care. One would think that this would qualify her for CHC but who knows?

There is Funded Nursing Care that is paid directly to a nursing home by the NHS to cover nursing care.

Smrtber

Dec 12, 2016
Thank you. It has been brought to my attention about Funded Nursing Care but the whole funding issue is quite a minefield. We have to ‘learn on the job’ when dealing with PWD. Thank goodness our experiences can be shared on the forum.

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
And how are you actually fighting this fight?:confused:
Hi Pete R
Keep talking to your MPs they really do help,
Keep encouraging everybody to not except this lack of funding, literally refuse to except what ever comes out of assessment, keep appealing.
For 50 odd years it’s just been excepted Pete and It’s time to rebell !!

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
I tell my MP, lets be serious about this, what message is this sending out to youngsters ?
It don’t pay to have anything does it? This disease is going to be huge and if some are funded and some not everybody or at least majority will keep funds under that level.
On the bigger picture it needs to be sorted for the future of this disease or the country will be in bigger mess!

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
My mum got it and I didn't even know. Sadly she only got it for two weeks before she passed away. I had been told by her previous care home that there was no chance so it does all seem quite random.

Ossett bob, mum banked with same bank but did not need probate possibly because it wasn't a huge amount. We just needed the executor and the death certificate to go in with some ID and that was sorted. The other bank however required probate which is taking time.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
This thread has been closed as it was moving in an unconstructive direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.