Contented Dementia Book and Website

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
On a little explore of this site I've come across this thread. I am so glad that it isn't just me that couldn't get on with this book. I did get three quarters of the way through and realised that it didn't 'fit' with my circumstances and where mother was at the time. Now lent out to a friend whose MIL has only recently been diagnosed.

It seemed to me far too rigid in its rules and almost impossible to implement as a sole carer at home.

I have to admit also that dealing after with dementia all day it was getting really hard to read about it before bed.

Thumbs down from me.

striblet

Oct 2, 2013
look past the annoying acronyms and style, this REALLY works

I agree 100% with SBA..... Please don't dismiss SPECAL - it works, it is worth taking time and effort (and perhaps cost) to understand properly, and its real main points - not the 'commandments' but its underlying principles - are incredibly useful to people with dementia relatives/clients, at any stage.

Like many on this thread, I was extremely sceptical and very irritated by some of the things which the book appears to say. But I like to think I'm open-minded, and since I live close to the centre, recently went on a SPECAL course in case it could help a newly diagnosed relative.

Look past the annoying OJames style, the apparent infantilisation of dementia/Alzheimer's sufferers (SPECAL really does not do that, but I agree, it looks as if the book recommends it!), the many ways in which the method and its practitioners can raise hackles. What readers may see on the surface, just isn't true - SPECAL is a victim of its own attempts to summarise the whole thing in a nutshell, when in fact, though easy to understand when properly led through it, it is quite complex and counter-intuitive.

I think the reason it's complex is that it's hard for non-sufferers to understand that we can't push information into someone with dementia - if they have a blank, we can't fill it. Nor can we force their memories to access something which due to stress isn't being retrieved at the moment (a common dementia problem). So trying to argue somebody with dementia round simply doesn't work. We can't push them into our world view, so we do have to join theirs (ie not contradict), and then find a way to show them what they need to do (eg go to hospital) with whatever explanation they feel is acceptable. It may appear to be deceptive, but some kind of deception is going to be necessary when a sufferer simply cannot see the world as it really is.

The actual system is incredibly empowering, for both dementia sufferer and family/carers, and can be applied at any stage. Sadly, I think you need the full course sessions to understand that properly and to see how it can help, however recent the start of the dementia. However, it is even worth a trip to another country to do it. Interestingly, having done the course, I'm now managing to explain it quite well to other family members. I'm a scientist, cynical, and very definitely no kind of evangelical convert. But I would now say, having looked into it properly, that SPECAL works, 100%.

To take the AS statements of what sufferers want -
1. "I have personal choice and control/influence" etc.
SPECAL doesn't remove that choice, but offers a way to help sufferers cope without getting stressed, when the real world and their memory clash so badly that they can't make a genuine choice. And, what is not said in the book, is that once you've properly understood dementia and how you can detect stress points, you CAN offer straight choices, as long as you stay alert to whether it's creating worry.
2. I know that services are designed around me and my needs.
It might look as if the book recommends that the SPECAL 'theme' is chosen for the sufferer, ie imposed on them. In fact as I can now see from the course, it's our job to find out what the most important theme is to the sufferer - needs a lot of detective work. Could not be more designed around them.
3. I have support that helps me live my life.
No-brainer, that's exactly what this method does. Contrary to appearances, it does not insist that somebody else lives the sufferer's life for them.
4. I have the knowledge and know-how to get what I need.
We have to be realistic. Once gaps become more frequent, a dementia sufferer simply cannot do some things for themselves (eg order items online, program the TV to record), especially if they learnt how to do those things relatively recently. And we can't fill the gap, no matter how many times we explain, or write it down. So we have to help, and that means what might look like interference, but is actually enabling. The important bit is the outcome: if the order is made, does it really matter whether the sufferer makes it (on a good day) or somebody else does (if the sufferer has forgotten how)?
5. I live in an enabling and supportive environment where I feel valued and understood.
When most of a memory is gaps, the only way to be valued is for the things that can be remembered. So we have to find out what is being remembered, and then show our value of the sufferer by allowing them to spend time thinking about those parts of their life, rather than trying to force them to recall what has been forgotten and will become increasingly irrelevant. That's the SPECAL approach in a nutshell.
6. I have a sense of belonging and being a valued part of a family, community and civic life.
Again, that doesn't clash at all with SPECAL, other than that it may not be feasible for dementia sufferers to continue being on committees or carrying out civic tasks once their condition makes it hard for them to link ideas together because there are too many memory gaps.
7. I know that there is research going on which delivers a better life.
Nobody's contradicting that, though a dementia sufferer is very likely to forget about it and thus to slowly stop caring about it!

Give SPECAL a try, and you might be pleased and surprised by the results.

Last edited:

flisss

Sep 14, 2013
Contented Dementia book

I found this book utterly amazing - it's a lot to take on and I,m still working ton techniques etc., but it has truly rocked my world. People/carers say u need patience when caring for a sufferer, but it isn't a question of patience it's a question of keeping the patient relaxed so they can do their 'thing' - and I don't make my Mum do anything- gentle encouragement is the best I can so - and she has days in bed and I let her be there - then she gets up when she wants and off we got for a few weeks then back into the circle. Mum is moderate Alzheimer's and for now the method works - my friends bar 2 of them who turn out not to be true friends, have all embraced the communication approach to Mum and we hav lovely times together. Most people I find are naturally able to deal with Mum eg let Mum do the talking/rambling - a lot of what Mum says is inaccurate or mashed up but I just let her run on with her line of conversation - and I hav a rest from having to input - for a few minutes.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
At the start I read so many books about dementia. I became overwhelmed with information that I didn't always relate to at the time

So many different ways of dealing with different situations

After a time.... I ended up using "a bit of this book" and "a bit of that book" to cope with what was happening in mum and my world.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
At the start I read so many books about dementia. I became overwhelmed with information that I didn't always relate to at the time

So many different ways of dealing with different situations

After a time.... I ended up using "a bit of this book" and "a bit of that book" to cope with what was happening in mum and my world.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

I think that's right, if person-centred care means anything it is surely that the same approach will not work for all. A friend of mine at whose mother had dementia recommended this book, but I have to say that a lot of it didn't seem to fit with how my MIL was or how my mum is now. My mum has not so far said or done anything to indicate she's not living in the present; she just forgets details eg how many children she has.

I was actually worried this book didn't resonate with me more as it had been so highly recommended, so a bit relieved to see others feel the same doubts. I agree that it does help to understand a bit better how a person with dementia looks at the world and improve attempts to communicate effectively, but I can't ever see myself sitting in a doctor's surgery pretending I'm at the airport.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I found this book utterly amazing - it's a lot to take on and I,m still working ton techniques etc., but it has truly rocked my world. People/carers say u need patience when caring for a sufferer, but it isn't a question of patience it's a question of keeping the patient relaxed so they can do their 'thing' - and I don't make my Mum do anything- gentle encouragement is the best I can so - and she has days in bed and I let her be there - then she gets up when she wants and off we got for a few weeks then back into the circle. Mum is moderate Alzheimer's and for now the method works - my friends bar 2 of them who turn out not to be true friends, have all embraced the communication approach to Mum and we hav lovely times together. Most people I find are naturally able to deal with Mum eg let Mum do the talking/rambling - a lot of what Mum says is inaccurate or mashed up but I just let her run on with her line of conversation - and I hav a rest from having to input - for a few minutes.

Fliss, can I ask how you deal with professionals/one-off appointments which are medically necessary? My mum is in respite care for a week following a fall while the rapid response team sort out her UTI and dehydration. They come in daily to the home but obviously have a full schedule of appointments so it's tricky if mum doesn't want to talk to them or engage in any way or wants to chat to them instead about family anecdotes.

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
I've just read the views of an American lady author who has early onset AD on two books. "The deal 'Still Alice' is that it reads false. The author took a composite view of people she had observed with Dementia, then placed the woman character in a cushy life with access to the best care and a freaking beach house. This felt like a false narration. It's now a movie, about educated Harvard."

Her comments on the second book; 'Alzheimer's Care My Way' read: "I thought I would read it over the weekend, but could not stop. I finished it last night and woke up crying.
It is a beautiful story and more important than the now popular book 'Still Alice' in my opinion. The beauty of the work is that it from the heart thought not technically perfect.
This is a major contribution and I would love to see this story made into a movie instead of 'Still Alice'

https://www.btcloud.bt.com/?shareObject=0b4d7b97-f8b5-976d-fe50-4b722d9ed3f5

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Is there a way of cancelling the above post as I feel it was a waste of time posting it?
Thanks for cancelling it.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Is there a way of cancelling the above post as I feel it was a waste of time posting it?
Thanks for cancelling it.

Padraig we all put posts on that no-one answers but it doesn't mean that it hasn't been read a lot of times and been helpful, some people just don't know what to say or don't feel the need to answer,

If you really want to change it just click on the edit post at the bottom of the post and you can remove or add as much as you want ,

best wishes, Jeany x

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Read the book, it had some useful bits, but decided I could never keep up those high standards. Several years on I could no longer follow that book as fly to the moon.
Use amalgam of ideas, from various sources, that suit the state your caree at that time, then change as necessary.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
I agree 100% with SBA..... Please don't dismiss SPECAL - it works, it is worth taking time and effort (and perhaps cost) to understand properly, and its real main points - not the 'commandments' but its underlying principles - are incredibly useful to people with dementia relatives/clients, at any stage.

Like many on this thread, I was extremely sceptical and very irritated by some of the things which the book appears to say. But I like to think I'm open-minded, and since I live close to the centre, recently went on a SPECAL course in case it could help a newly diagnosed relative.

Look past the annoying OJames style, the apparent infantilisation of dementia/Alzheimer's sufferers (SPECAL really does not do that, but I agree, it looks as if the book recommends it!), the many ways in which the method and its practitioners can raise hackles. What readers may see on the surface, just isn't true - SPECAL is a victim of its own attempts to summarise the whole thing in a nutshell, when in fact, though easy to understand when properly led through it, it is quite complex and counter-intuitive.

I think the reason it's complex is that it's hard for non-sufferers to understand that we can't push information into someone with dementia - if they have a blank, we can't fill it. Nor can we force their memories to access something which due to stress isn't being retrieved at the moment (a common dementia problem). So trying to argue somebody with dementia round simply doesn't work. We can't push them into our world view, so we do have to join theirs (ie not contradict), and then find a way to show them what they need to do (eg go to hospital) with whatever explanation they feel is acceptable. It may appear to be deceptive, but some kind of deception is going to be necessary when a sufferer simply cannot see the world as it really is.

The actual system is incredibly empowering, for both dementia sufferer and family/carers, and can be applied at any stage. Sadly, I think you need the full course sessions to understand that properly and to see how it can help, however recent the start of the dementia. However, it is even worth a trip to another country to do it. Interestingly, having done the course, I'm now managing to explain it quite well to other family members. I'm a scientist, cynical, and very definitely no kind of evangelical convert. But I would now say, having looked into it properly, that SPECAL works, 100%.

To take the AS statements of what sufferers want -
1. "I have personal choice and control/influence" etc.
SPECAL doesn't remove that choice, but offers a way to help sufferers cope without getting stressed, when the real world and their memory clash so badly that they can't make a genuine choice. And, what is not said in the book, is that once you've properly understood dementia and how you can detect stress points, you CAN offer straight choices, as long as you stay alert to whether it's creating worry.
2. I know that services are designed around me and my needs.
It might look as if the book recommends that the SPECAL 'theme' is chosen for the sufferer, ie imposed on them. In fact as I can now see from the course, it's our job to find out what the most important theme is to the sufferer - needs a lot of detective work. Could not be more designed around them.
3. I have support that helps me live my life.
No-brainer, that's exactly what this method does. Contrary to appearances, it does not insist that somebody else lives the sufferer's life for them.
4. I have the knowledge and know-how to get what I need.
We have to be realistic. Once gaps become more frequent, a dementia sufferer simply cannot do some things for themselves (eg order items online, program the TV to record), especially if they learnt how to do those things relatively recently. And we can't fill the gap, no matter how many times we explain, or write it down. So we have to help, and that means what might look like interference, but is actually enabling. The important bit is the outcome: if the order is made, does it really matter whether the sufferer makes it (on a good day) or somebody else does (if the sufferer has forgotten how)?
5. I live in an enabling and supportive environment where I feel valued and understood.
When most of a memory is gaps, the only way to be valued is for the things that can be remembered. So we have to find out what is being remembered, and then show our value of the sufferer by allowing them to spend time thinking about those parts of their life, rather than trying to force them to recall what has been forgotten and will become increasingly irrelevant. That's the SPECAL approach in a nutshell.
6. I have a sense of belonging and being a valued part of a family, community and civic life.
Again, that doesn't clash at all with SPECAL, other than that it may not be feasible for dementia sufferers to continue being on committees or carrying out civic tasks once their condition makes it hard for them to link ideas together because there are too many memory gaps.
7. I know that there is research going on which delivers a better life.
Nobody's contradicting that, though a dementia sufferer is very likely to forget about it and thus to slowly stop caring about it!

Give SPECAL a try, and you might be pleased and surprised by the results.

Thanks for this. It's very interesting.

I must admit I'm surprised that people here are so against SPECAL on deception grounds, when as far as I can tell everybody who has a clue about how to care for a dementia sufferer advocates "loving lies" rather than devastating them with unhappy truths.

Last edited:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I don't think the AS advocates lies, loving or otherwise.

Personally, I think the factsheets indicate that the Society has a pretty good idea of how to treat a person living with dementia.

And it doesn't seem self-evident that the only choices, ever, are 'loving lies' or 'devastating them with unhappy truths'.

halojones

May 7, 2014
I have also read the contented dementia book and I have found quite a lot of good advice that applies to my mum and is helpful in our situation..But it is like any advice, some of it applies, some doesn't.If it works for you then its great, if not then you find your way with what does..I was naturally doing what it said in the book, and am reassured that this was okay..I do use lovelies, whatever it takes to keep mum from worry or upset, I spend all my time protecting her physically, so it works for us to protect mum mentally and emotionally...The book also helped me to prepare for the future...

Last edited:

Michael La

Jun 28, 2015
Hi I just had a great experience with my father inlaw

I shared the book Blue Sky/White Clouds by Eiliezer Sobel with my father in law who does not remember who I am or his wife or grandchildren. It is full of pictures of memorable universal moments like weddings and dogs and he was able to smile and laugh and talk about old times some. It was great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bebb