Constipation

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Mum is getting more and more confused recently. The GP thinks she is constipated and prescribed Lactulose which she started yesterday. I can only compare how she is now to how she was when she had a UTI except that was a sudden onset of confusion whereas this is a slow onset, over a few days.

Can constipation cause this level of confusion? Has anyone had experience of this and how long can it take to subside?

X

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi Anongirl, my dad did indeed have more confusion and a thunderous disposition when constipated, and once the problem "cleared" it was like the clouds parted, the sun shone, and he was all smiles again.
Hope your mum has a similar positive result.

Stephanie, xxx

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks Lilysmybabypup, that's what I wanted to hear!

I forgot to mention the thunderous disposition! She is so irritable too, she has slammed the phone down on both me and my brother and yesterday she was shouting to me and because I didn't go straight away she got really annoyed and started telling me off! She's usually very meek and mild. Glad you mentioned that.

I guess it's just waiting now for the med to do it's bit.

X

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Anongirl

My Husband suffers badly from constipation. So yes it can have a bad effect on moods/confusion etc.Pete has had to have suppositories at times:eek:

I hope your Mum gets better soon.

Take care

Lyn T

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks Lyn. I hope we've caught the problem early. I might be able to give my husband suppositories but I'm afraid I would have to draw the line at mum :eek:

Spoke to her tonight and she just sounded tired. Not as confused as recently so I'm hoping this passes soon. Literally!! ;)

X

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum had bowel surgery beg of the year and was alternating netween constipation and going too many times. Thankfully shes not incontinent, but it does distress her, and she gets quite agitated but not what I would say confused.
GP had her on daily Metamucil, and Lactulose when it was bad.
Recently she was complaining of teh taste of both and I could see it was going to be a bit of an issue at some point.
I changed her to a daily tablet of these. Not sure what equivalent you can get in the UK.
They seem to work a lot better, although now Mum is complaining of stinking the bathroom out! You can't win :)

http://www.healthchemist.co.nz/product/goodhealth-mglax-natural-laxative-capsules-60-p2049341.html

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks Lyn. I hope we've caught the problem early. I might be able to give my husband suppositories but I'm afraid I would have to draw the line at mum :eek:

Spoke to her tonight and she just sounded tired. Not as confused as recently so I'm hoping this passes soon. Literally!! ;)

X

Hi

If you can try to speak to your Mum's GP. He will arrange for a Nurse to come to her house if she needs suppositories.

Take care

Lyn T

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks!

Lyn I am taking her back to her GP in a couple of weeks. I'm really hoping things have started to improve then x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My mum was prescribed suppositories. The doctor thought I would administer them but I said I wouldn't. They sent the distinct nurse in to do it.

I hope you can get some help soon Anongirl. x

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
This is a serious problem. A mentally confused person and constipated. It is not a problem we want to deal on a daily basis. A district nurse should be available to help. Glad you spotted the problem quickly.
I use a discreet chart on the diary and then I know if something should be done!

Different levels of confusion can be caused even if the person is cold/too hot/hungry/tired and cannot express oneself.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I'm hoping the Lactulose solves the issue.

Mum is still capable of expressing herself and completely mobile. She seems tired quite a lot and this makes a huge difference. She is always saying she is cold but her house isn't cold. We are trying to keep an eye on her food and drink intake but it is all very difficult as I don't live nearby. I rely on carers to inform me of anything concerning. I can often tell on the phone if something isn't quite right and I see her once a week, as does my brother.

It's a guessing game at best.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks Celia. That's interesting. The GP did some blood tests on Weds but not sure what they are. We are back in a couple of weeks so I will mention TFTs then.

Thanks! X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65