Constipation in later stages

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH always subject to constipation, often with overflow. As dementia has got worse, so has his bowels. I used to give him lactulose, which helped. As it was so so painful, I also used to give him paracetamol. That way, the pain was reduced and he was more likely to 'go'.
He sometimes forgot how to use his bowels, or got bowels and bladder confused.

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
OH always subject to constipation, often with overflow. As dementia has got worse, so has his bowels. I used to give him lactulose, which helped. As it was so so painful, I also used to give him paracetamol. That way, the pain was reduced and he was more likely to 'go'.
He sometimes forgot how to use his bowels, or got bowels and bladder confused.

Just like my dad. You summed it up.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Re my previous post #12, I just wanted to say that the last few weeks of immobility have really emphasised the importance of exercise in trying to deal with faecal incontinence. We still have regular days when the diet produces the sort of clearout that will mean a clean day the next day but then the old haywire periods return until the next time, maybe a couple of days later. So if you are caring for a PWD who still has reasonable mobility, walking or any other exercise is a vital part of the answer.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Re my previous post #12, I just wanted to say that the last few weeks of immobility have really emphasised the importance of exercise in trying to deal with faecal incontinence. We still have regular days when the diet produces the sort of clearout that will mean a clean day the next day but then the old haywire periods return until the next time, maybe a couple of days later. So if you are caring for a PWD who still has reasonable mobility, walking or any other exercise is a vital part of the answer.
Thank you. You've just given me a terrific argument for having my weekend "sitting hours" put back to what they were as they are in effect "walking hours", which he loves and which do him the world of good.

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015

Hi Stanley,

My dad also has COPD and emphysema, so he can only shuffle a few meters without getting exhausted. What with his lack of mobility and his difficulty eating, I guess it's no wonder he is so constipated. Poor dad.

LS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandzz