Constant interaction with strangers

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Tried to post links for Amazon lanyard and Alzheimer's forget me not pins but I don't know how to these don't stay dementia on them

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
There are the forget me not pins but they are not specifically for the pwd. They are a support/ fund raising pin also the forget me not lanyards
I’d like something that the pwd can wear that doesn’t say anything but we all know what it means. My husband would be mortified reading a badge saying I have dementia as he would understand it in the moment he’s reading it.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
My OH tells people his badge is to keep children safe as he likes to talk to unknown children and he doesn't want their mummy to think he would hurt them . Bless him

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
This the type of pin . Alzheimer's society. Mines an old one newer are enamel

Attachments

• IMG_20240310_194650447.jpg
    IMG_20240310_194650447.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 57

Emilypen

Jul 14, 2019
I’d like something that the pwd can wear that doesn’t say anything but we all know what it means. My husband would be mortified reading a badge saying I have dementia as he would understand it in the moment he’s reading it.

Emilypen

Jul 14, 2019
Hi Ellie2018. On the advice of several people on this forum, I have just purchased the sunflower lanyard for Hidden disabilities. I told my husband it's got my phone number on the back, so I can be contacted should we lose each other when we're out. He seems quite happy with that explanation.

Emilypen

Jul 14, 2019
hi Emilypen. it must be a problem for you, you know that he's only wanting to be friendly with folk but you don't know what their resctions will be....I think that there's a a pendant that the pwd can wear round their neck that lets folk know that they have dementia, this might help. I've never seen them but I m sure someone else on this forum will give you advice about them...
Hi Scotlass. I've bought one of the hidden disabilities lanyard. I'm hoping it will help.

Emilypen

Jul 14, 2019
Other alternatives are a daffodil lanyard (Ive started seeing lots more of these around) or if he wont wear anything, getting printed business sized cards that say something like - Im sorry for any upset, I have dementia. Then discretely hand one out when necessary
Thank you canary. I'm hoping the lanyard will work!

Emilypen

Jul 14, 2019
My husband does this all the time except his conversations make sense. He insists that he knows most strangers, “from somewhere.” In his head they are all old friends of his. I’m usually with him. For the most part he is early stages. He would refuse, to wear anything that indicates he has dementia. Luckily, he just talks to adults and not children. I always tell the people that if he is bothering them just tell him they’re busy and can’t talk right now. Even though he is standing right there, I know he won’t remember what I said. He usually only talks to people for a minute or two, if it’s longer than that I tell him we need to be somewhere and need to get going or if we’re in a restaurant that his food is getting cold.

If someone has been nice enough to listen to him I also thank them and tell them that they have made his day and that he doesn’t have a lot of those.
Hi Cardinal. Yes, my husband constantly thinks he knows people! I try to indicate that he has dementia, behind his back, but that's not always possible. I'm really hoping the lanyard works. My daughter worries that he's putting himself at risk by "accosting" people in the street. So far, most people have been kind, although some just ignore him. Well see what difference the lanyard makes.

Francisco

Jul 26, 2020
My husband has Lewy Body Dementia. One of my biggest issues at present, is that he constantly wants to interact with complete strangers, including children. He will stop people passing us by, or stop at someone's table in a cafe. The trouble is that his speech is completely unintelligible. I used to be able to work out what he was trying to say,but, these days, even I can't understand him. The other day, he told a complete stranger that she was full of gas! I think he meant he couldn't see her well, because the sun was too bright behind her! He then pretended to shoot two young men coming towards us. Parents, understandably, are very wary of this big man talking apparent nonsense to their child. I try and gently pull him away from such confrontations, but he gets cross with me. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
The posts here are about males with dementia. My wife also constantly interacts with strangers, particularly children. Invariably the interactions are positive as she is very complimentary about the child ( how pretty, what lovely hair etc) and often compliments the parent(s). They are always pleased and almost always cotton on to her condition - looking at me and conveying understanding and sympathy. She is actually spreading a bit of happiness and making people smile, and I'm proud of her. The usual inhibitions have gone and I've had the opportunity to engage with many strangers thanks to my wife.