confused about funding and benefits

Imstressedout

Jun 6, 2019
I’m so confused about funding. Mum doesn’t have any bank statements and anything to do with money was dad’s domain. He’s now moving into a care home and I’ve found out there’s no power of attorney so will try and set the ball rilling on Deputyship.

They have been receiving lots of benefits which I assume will stop now dad is in a nursing home. But I have no idea as I’m not familiar with benefit payments. I have no idea where to start and am hoping the solicitor will know what to do.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Imstressedout
is your mum able to go with you to their bank as she can then request statements of any shared accounts and you can help her sort things out ... she may need to show some ID
maybe simply say that your dad has moved into a care home rather than bring up any issue of his capacity
hopefully the statements will show the source of all their income

when you can, it may be worth considering splitting their finances into separate accounts

benefits won't necessarily stop .. the solicitor may well help ... and when you know what they are, you can ask here
I guess your dad is receiving a state pension, and you are applying to become his Deputy, look into becoming his Appointee
https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
They have been receiving lots of benefits which I assume will stop now dad is in a nursing home. But I have no idea as I’m not familiar with benefit payments. I have no idea where to start and am hoping the solicitor will know what to do.

You need to contact DWP to let them know that your Dad is in a care home. Here's a helpful link which explains which benefits can still be paid and which stop when moving into residential care. It also explains about any changes to a partner's benefits: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Care-homes-and-benefits/Introduction

Imstressedout

Jun 6, 2019
That’s incredibly helpful all. I need to access their bank accounts to find out exactly what benefits they have and the calculator will then be very useful.

Shedrech I hadn’t even heard of an appointee. This seems far more what we need to be honest. They hardly have any money and survive on benefits and pensions. There aren’t any complications of investments so I’m going to look into this rather than Deputyship as it looks very much simpler. Definitely going to be doing an LPA for mum.

Thanks again.