Concern for Mum (57 yo)

yvon143

Apr 13, 2022
Hi,

Within the last year or so especially I've started to notice some significant changes to my mum's behaviour. Primarily, I've noticed she's been repeating her sentences, saying the same thing maybe 3 or 4 times to almost sooth herself. This tends to happen when she's anxious about something like cooking dinner on time or overanalysing something someone said on Facebook.

She's also been forgetting words, saying the wrong word in a similar catagory (ie. hoovering instead of washing) or saying words that sound similar but aren't the right one. Recently she's almost put things in odd places like almost putting the kettle in the fridge.

She's also prone to cutting us off mid conversation to talk about something else unrelated, especially when you are confiding in her and the conversation will be changed to her current problem or train of thought. There have been times where I have simply stopped talking mid sentence and she will not pick up on this or return to your topic. I'm not sure she's empathising as much with us, but will do with things she sees online.

Recently she's been angry that we aren't listening to her and that we are interrupting her or belittling her. The most recent one was my dad suggesting the birds must have eggs in the bird box after she said they were nesting. Or that I cannot communicate properly when I was cooking my own dinner, even though she saw me preparing it. She's also accused my dad of having dementia (often angrily) but he really is just forgetful sometimes, always has been. It's hard to tell if this is anxiousness and simply thinking people are against her or something more sinister.

She has a history of anxiety and depression and I'm fairly certain she has experienced a level of trauma in childhood which has lead to her being argumentative and explosive in the past. Since covid she has been significantly more anxious but still goes out to the pub every week but will only go with my dad as she thinks everyone is against her and often pushes friends away. She also has chronic pain which has affected her mood.

It's hard to tell what might be brain fog, anxiety or her past behaviours and what might be a cause of concern. She's not forgetful in the sense that she forgets where her keys are etc, and she has no problem remembering short or long term events as such. Nothing I'd be alarmed about but maybe she's good at hiding that? It's really her language and behaviour that's been worrying.

She had a memory test maybe 6+ years ago but nothing ever came of it, so she's had concern before but she is the kind of person to not seek help and bringing it up would certainly cause a lot of distress and most likely cause an argument. I'm not really sure what to make of it all because reading about some early signs of certain types of demetia, these things check out... but it could equally be an anxious coping behaviour.

Anyone experience similar or know what else I should look out for?

Thanks,
A (25yo)

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Many many things can caus 'Brain fog' Thryroid function for instance.

What are the chances of talking to her Dr? They cant tell you anything, or their thoughts but they should listen to your concerns

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Email her doctor listing the concerns. He can invite her in for a well-woman assessment and see what he thinks.

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
Hi,

Within the last year or so especially I've started to notice some significant changes to my mum's behaviour. Primarily, I've noticed she's been repeating her sentences, saying the same thing maybe 3 or 4 times to almost sooth herself. This tends to happen when she's anxious about something like cooking dinner on time or overanalysing something someone said on Facebook.

She's also been forgetting words, saying the wrong word in a similar catagory (ie. hoovering instead of washing) or saying words that sound similar but aren't the right one. Recently she's almost put things in odd places like almost putting the kettle in the fridge.

She's also prone to cutting us off mid conversation to talk about something else unrelated, especially when you are confiding in her and the conversation will be changed to her current problem or train of thought. There have been times where I have simply stopped talking mid sentence and she will not pick up on this or return to your topic. I'm not sure she's empathising as much with us, but will do with things she sees online.

Recently she's been angry that we aren't listening to her and that we are interrupting her or belittling her. The most recent one was my dad suggesting the birds must have eggs in the bird box after she said they were nesting. Or that I cannot communicate properly when I was cooking my own dinner, even though she saw me preparing it. She's also accused my dad of having dementia (often angrily) but he really is just forgetful sometimes, always has been. It's hard to tell if this is anxiousness and simply thinking people are against her or something more sinister.

She has a history of anxiety and depression and I'm fairly certain she has experienced a level of trauma in childhood which has lead to her being argumentative and explosive in the past. Since covid she has been significantly more anxious but still goes out to the pub every week but will only go with my dad as she thinks everyone is against her and often pushes friends away. She also has chronic pain which has affected her mood.

It's hard to tell what might be brain fog, anxiety or her past behaviours and what might be a cause of concern. She's not forgetful in the sense that she forgets where her keys are etc, and she has no problem remembering short or long term events as such. Nothing I'd be alarmed about but maybe she's good at hiding that? It's really her language and behaviour that's been worrying.

She had a memory test maybe 6+ years ago but nothing ever came of it, so she's had concern before but she is the kind of person to not seek help and bringing it up would certainly cause a lot of distress and most likely cause an argument. I'm not really sure what to make of it all because reading about some early signs of certain types of demetia, these things check out... but it could equally be an anxious coping behaviour.

Anyone experience similar or know what else I should look out for?

Thanks,
A (25yo)
Hi

You are naturally worried about your mum ?

You could ask your mum how she is? Say you are just worried about her that's all. Maybe encourage her to have a check up or ask the doctor perhaps as someone suggested for a well woman check. A simple blood test can often be a good start.

Being a lady of a similar sort of age (clears throat lol) some of the things can be , and I am not saying that they are, attributed to the peri menopause/menopause. It can certainly increase anxiety, brain fog , short tempered, mood swings etc . If your mum has had a history and depression as well it might be worth thinking about those changes your mum might have been experiencing during the last few years certainly. Even with HRT etc you can still have symptoms and those can also include pain in the joints particularly. It messes with your sleep patterns as well and you generally can feel like you are not yourself. It isn't unusual to be forgetful in it as well lol .

I think covid has affected everyone in some way or another. We learnt to be one way and now we have to learn to adapt the other way. It hasn't gone away and nor is it going too. I can completely understand your Mum's anxiety around it.

Something has obviously brought you here but it can be many other things as well before you get that far ....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407