Clapping I

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I think there are split opinions about the clapping but it's a personal choice, each to their own, and on the positive side it does seem to be helping to bring some neighbours together more :) I was hospitalised in a very busy London hospital during the virus peak (not covid related) and I asked a doctor if they would be standing outside clapping on Thursday and the response was that whilst the initial clapping from the public was appreciated they felt that the weekly continuation was more to do with the feelings of those who were clapping, rather than those they were clapping for. Speaking to my sister who works in the NHS and some of the carers at mum's care home it seems that they also appreciated it the first time it happened but it seems to have lost the initial meaning now. There's an interesting article here from an NHS doctor about the subject, saying that people shouldn't feel the need to clap or be shamed into joining in, and what is needed is practical input into making improvements:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/21/nhs-doctor-enough-people-clapping

My neighbours are a nurse & policeman & I notice they stay indoors during this time when we are outside clapping, even going so far as to pull blinds down. They are lovely people but I think maybe a bit embarrassed by it all now. They are committed professional people who just feel they are doing their jobs albeit in sometimes difficult circumstances like many other people.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My neighbours are a nurse & policeman & I notice they stay indoors during this time when we are outside clapping, even going so far as to pull blinds down. They are lovely people but I think maybe a bit embarrassed by it all now. They are committed professional people who just feel they are doing their jobs albeit in sometimes difficult circumstances like many other people.

I confess I get very embarrassed when they stand in the driveway as they did last night. I'll be honest I hide until they have gone. I feel the same, I'm just doing what I'm supposed to do and its no different to any other work day.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Clap if it makes you feel better but I have stopped. It's been politicised, the government do it instead of raising NHS salaries, and I'm sure NHS staff would rather we stayed inside and observed lockdown rules instead of making noise. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful to them, but if the same people who go to crowded beaches clap on Thursdays, that's as pointless as wearing a mask pulled down under your nose.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
There's been quite a lot about clapping on the news today but I shall probably continue playing as the neighbours are enjoying listening.

MaNaAk

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
There's been quite a lot about clapping on the news today but I shall probably continue playing as the neighbours are enjoying listening.

MaNaAk
We should all do what we want to MaNaAk.
I’m sure your neighbours would miss your playing if you stopped. It would be a highlight of my week if you lived in my street ?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Another successful recital yesterday but I think the neighbours may not do the clapping next week. However I think they have clapped for me as well as the NHS. After the clapping we have gathered afterwards but we have maintained our social distance.

MaNaAk

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I have taken my bugle and blown it for all I am worth, lots of noise! The neighbours probably tried to drown me out!
I will miss playing it but I'm not sure anyone else feels the same about it. It made people laugh and a chap came down our road on his bike and got a bit embarrassed! We socially distanced and had a quick chat. I am still shielding but it's getting a bit tedious staying in so this was a light relief just to see other faces!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I have taken my bugle and blown it for all I am worth, lots of noise! The neighbours probably tried to drown me out!
I will miss playing it but I'm not sure anyone else feels the same about it. It made people laugh and a chap came down our road on his bike and got a bit embarrassed! We socially distanced and had a quick chat. I am still shielding but it's getting a bit tedious staying in so this was a light relief just to see other faces!
go for it its made me smile and my husband as i read out some of the posts to him.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
It is a personal decision and I wouldn’t give a thought or even recall who of my neighbour’s did or didn’t come out and clap....

For myself and my husband we have done it each week, he is a carer in a care home and has worked relentlessly over this pandemic, he has done extra shifts and really gone above and beyond, with a lack of PPE at times........just as have many many others and that makes us very proud which is why we go out and do the ?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I've enjoyed reading these posts and there was a bugle fetching some money on Bargain Hunt. I also had people cheering, taking their hats off and blackbirds and goldfinches joining in. I would have loved to have heard your bugle.

Love

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Sunday 5th July is the 72nd anniversary of the foundation of the NHS.
There is to be 'Thank You NHS' clap at 17:00
It's proposed that it becomes an annual event.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kez15