Charities in Crisis

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Did any body watch it then ????
Very thought provoking, particularly the bit about charities having to go back to basics
I wonder what affect government cut backs will have on AS ??
May be its affect on the funding of TP ???

It's strange isn't it (or is it) that we hear so much about the need to cut back on what they call frontline services
yet you never seem to hear where they are cutting back on some of the many useless jobs created in the past few years
I feel sorry for anyone losing their job but if the choice has to be made, surely it should firstly protect the sevices that are vital to the present and future of our society
jimbo 111

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I watched it jimbo.

I didn't really hear anything new, until near the end, when they spoke of the government's proposal to set up a 'bank' so that charities could borrow money, when grants ran out.

Forgive me, but isn't the country in this mess because of borrowing money? How on earth is a charity supposed to repay the loan?

Sounds too much like student loans, which will be a millstone for the reat of a student's life.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I watched it jimbo.

I didn't really hear anything new, until near the end, when they spoke of the government's proposal to set up a 'bank' so that charities could borrow money, when grants ran out.

Forgive me, but isn't the country in this mess becaus of borrowing money? How on earth is a charity supposed to repay the loan

Very true
the charity people seemed to be worried themselves about
the consequences , particularly to smaller charities
It seems the government want to take it away and then give it back ..... all **** about face as usual.....
Still I suppose it will make work for some one , and cost more to administer
jimbo 111

Ps. Just found out something
Did you now that your swear words can be censored before you even submit your post ~ I am sure said backside not ****
There I'll be ******ed it's done it again
Please moderators do not exile me I'm only joking
jimbo 111

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!!!

£450,000k directly for TP?????? For what is becoming predominantly a social ‘chat room’ for anyone remotely has or has ever had a connection with dementia?????? - and a hard core of prominent posters posting about non-dementia issues?:mad:

Just how is that spent ?????? – oh my goodness ...... :(

Right now can’t type for tearing my hair out and crying at people left bereft of any direct support who can’t access a PC or a dementia cafe – or a carers’ group .... this is becoming OBSCENE!!!!!!!

If it was the support forum it once was - I would be thrilled - and looking to back providing PCs and associated support being made available to isolated sufferers and carers ... as it stands .... it just makes me sick!!!!:mad:

Karen

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
£450,000k directly for TP??????

I suspect that, while it is a charity of choice for a year, that does not mean that the funding of TP costs that much each year, and the money will be used for long term support of the forum.

an Internet forum like TP cannot be funded year by year as infrastructure needs advance planning.

I think the point of this sponsorship is that Santander CHOSE the forum as it's target. AS has not simply elected to move that amount of people's contributions to TP, away from other support services.

Had Santander, which itself uses IT by the bucketload and thus appreciates the benefits, not been taken with the idea of using technology for such an important area, then the funding might not have gone to a dementia-related charity at all.

For what is becoming predominantly a social ‘chat room’ for anyone remotely has or has ever had a connection with dementia??????
... and some posters who have never had a connection, as well.

That is a matter of concern to me, at a personal level. The original helpfulness and veracity of the forum has, in my eyes, been diluted in a welter of posts. I think this is a natural consequence of its success, unfortunately.

On reflection, this may be more of a problem for posters of longer membership.

If the house next door sells off its garden and another house is built there, the original neighbours may think it unacceptable, and move away. New occupants, moving in, accept the houses next door as simply being there, and get on with life. Some longer term neighbours may remain because their house is their life and their only world now, and will continually complain that it isn't how it once was. Well, frankly, it never will be again.

They key thing to ask is - "are people who are NOW caring for relatives/friends who have dementia gaining support here". They are the key people on TP now.

I hope so.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
I watched the program last night.I have recently set up a Community Interest Company, a sort of charity with less red tape and that can make a bit of a profit,most profits however must be used to develop the services etc.My CIC,community interest company,provides dementia services.Low level support services are provided free and people pay for day care, social services pay for those with high level needs and to give carers a break,financially assessed.Others pay privately.

I have set this up on a wave of cuts etc etc.However,the business is doing OK. I must add that I have had hardly any assistance to set this project up,I have used my own money.I must add that I do not have alot of money but what I had I have spent it on this service.

Personally I can`t wait for the Big Society Bank to open,though it will not be a bank like we know,it will probably be monies shared out to other funders to manage.

I really feel that local communities must get motivated and start developing their own services.The lottery is a good start for anyone wishing to do this.Take the lunch club on the TV last night.How much do you think a lunch clubs needs to operate.Firstly,these people would have to pay for their lunch if they were at home, so if they all paid say £2.00 towards the food that would be a start.Secondly there are hundreds of under used buildings,church halls,community centres,schools,pubs etc where a lunch club could be held at little cost.Ask some local businesses to help with this cost.Thirdly,enlist some volunteers,try local colleges etc,it looks good on their CVs when students are applying to uni or jobs etc. Lunch clubs do not need funding from the tax payers/government.Yes they are a lifeline to many but they can be provided in a different way.

We have to get away from the idea that the state is there to provide every service we want/need.It can not for obvious reasons.We all need to do a bit more if we want these services if it means giving a couple of pound a month or giving a couple of hours.For many of us would it really be such a hardship to give say 2 hours a month to volunteer.

It is the same with lollipop services.If every mum/grandparent/uncle with a child at the school did one shift per family every three months that service would be covered.

We have just got used to having everything given to us on a plate
managed by top heavy admin public services.

I must add that the services I am talking about are not the services needed to protect our vulnerable society,for those people there should always be statutory provision.

alex

Apr 10, 2006
On reflection, this may be more of a problem for posters of longer membership.

They key thing to ask is - "are people who are NOW caring for relatives/friends who have dementia gaining support here". They are the key people on TP now.

Bruce

Tact - definition of tact
Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending.

I guess you missed out BIG TIME when they handed that one out Bruce :eek::eek: and its not the first time.:mad:

I didn't realise members had to qualify to be here by having a "living" relative/friend who has dementia?????? and it seems to have more impact when it comes from an official of TP :eek: :confused:

It would be sooooo good if we could all wipe out the effects of dementia or any other disease after "our loved ones have gone" but unfortunately it doesn't work that way :mad:

Alzheimer's strap line is affected by dementia, i think that covers everyone on TP!!! :rolleyes:

At a guess i'd say more than 50% of support in financial terms/volunteer support comes from those who have lost loved ones to Dementia

Alex

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Well, I'm sorry you were offended; that was never an intention.

For me, TP was about supporting me, in active caring for my wife, who needed help 24 hours a day. Anything else was - and frankly, is - incidental, for me.

While there may be other benefits here for those affected or even not affected by dementia - and those benefits are also important - I was only ever interested in assuring my wife's care, and that is why I phrased my post that way. I could learn, Jan was no longer able to, and was dependent on me.

I repeat
They key thing to ask is - "are people who are NOW caring for relatives/friends who have dementia gaining support here".
I always put the person who has dementia first.

Purely my own take on this complex life.

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Yes I can understand that but how do you expect to give others help without already having walked that road??????

Without the experience, help and support of those who have been there, seen it, done it, AS and TP would struggle to exist :( :confused:

If you were running TP there would be no one to advise, help or support both emotionally or financially.....in fact most of the mods wouldn't be here!!! :rolleyes: even you would not be able to participate.

Sorry but I really don't understand your line of thinking Bruce :confused: :confused: :confused:

Alex

danny

Sep 9, 2009
I don`t get annoyed very often:D But this morning I am very annoyed.

The title of this thread is Charities In Crisis,about a TV program last night.I was hoping for a general discussion on the program,however,yet again it has changed into another thread.

There are several other threads running discussing the AS and Talking Point,why start another argument here.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
If the house next door sells off its garden and another house is built there, the original neighbours may think it unacceptable, and move away. New occupants, moving in, accept the houses next door as simply being there, and get on with life. Some longer term neighbours may remain because their house is their life and their only world now, and will continually complain that it isn't how it once was. Well, frankly, it never will be again.

I found this imagery very helpful Bruce. Thank you.

Love

alex

Apr 10, 2006
I don`t get annoyed very often:D But this morning I am very annoyed.

The title of this thread is Charities In Crisis,about a TV program last night.I was hoping for a general discussion on the program,however,yet again it has changed into another thread.

There are several other threads running discussing the AS and Talking Point,why start another argument here.

Sorry not sure how it changed, but maybe a mod might be able to move the posts not applicable?, however, i'm not arguing with anyone, i'm just stating my point of view :(

Regards
Alex

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Karen

Just to expand on the points that Bruce has made, it may be helpful to clarify that whilst Santander’s partnership with Alzheimer’s Society is for this year only, the funding we will receive will help us to grow and develop Talking Point over the next three years.

Amongst other things, this money will enable us to further promote Talking Point in a structured and sustainable way, and reach out to more people living with dementia. It will also help us to improve the forum, making it a better source of support: we have plans to make TP clearer and more user-friendly, for example.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that whilst Talking Point is - as we’d always want it to be - free for users to access, it does of course cost money to host, maintain, upgrade and manage the site.

I’ll be able to post more in due course about some of the specific ways in which the Santander funding will help support people living with dementia, but I hope this offers at least some reassurance for the time being.

Best wishes,

Katherine

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
First of all I am going to shock by saying I agree for the most part with Brucie .... (calm down Brucie!!!;) This is a once in a blue moon moment!!! :p You know I’m only kidding!!!!:D ) and especially on this point:
The original helpfulness and veracity of the forum has, in my eyes, been diluted in a welter of posts.

TP is now too full of ‘fluff’ for me. I personally take no offence about being someone who sticks around after my 1:1 caring has gone. I seem to recall it was Brucie referred to it as being a ‘legacy member’. :) My caring remains – just in a different guise - and people with dementia and their carers - if they have them - are at the heart of everything I am striving for. In fact, I feel guilty I am too consumed with the effects of cuts locally and nationally, I have little left to expend trying to offer support in other ways at the moment.

I, too, like the imagery .... just a shame the people who gave the planning permission didn’t have the foresight to realise what might happen as a result and allow for it and control it ..... :rolleyes:

I am certainly not trying to bite the hand that fed me – and still does to a lesser degree - I want to be proud to wear the T-shirt, to rattle my tin or whatever .... but some serious questions have been raised about where money goes and how it used ... and to get back to the original point of this thread – lots of charities ARE in crisis – and more importantly therefore – are the people who have relied on them.

Danny, forgive me, but you sound like the voice of the ‘Big Society’ (and I probably come across as left of Communism!!!:eek:) – as well as badgering my own MP about concerns that support for dementia sufferers is slipping through gaps, I am wholeheartedly behind her campaign to recognise that ‘volunteering’ does not solve everything.

As examples, underused buildings need to be heated if they are to provide comfort for frail elderly (or vulnerable children for that matter). People scream ‘H&S certificates/Insurance cover/Food handling safety/ Liability cover – not to mention CRB checking etc – they all ‘cost’). The hoops and loops to jump through (sure you don’t need telling this) to get even a ‘volunteer project’ off the ground – still costs money – however much time people can throw at them out of the goodness of their own hearts even if they haven’t got tuppence ha’penny to rub together to contribute financially.

Can you believe I am actually struggling to find a volunteer opportunity to work with elderly/frail/dementia sufferers in my own area? The charities that ‘oversee’ the volunteers are so cash-strapped they can’t afford to recruit, check and give basic induction training ..... ‘groups’ have been cut .... projects abandoned ..... and some of us don’t have the time and wherewithal to do much else than volunteer our personal experience and time without the co-ordination and support of such organisations. My sons and his peers have struggled to find any ‘volunteer’ opportunities for the same reason in and amongst their college commitments ... even a volunteer gap is quickly filled ..... :(

We have just got used to having everything given to us on a plate

I am sorry, Angela/Danny – but that comment is ‘bang out of order’ ..... :mad: I don't think anyone has ever said that on TP - and show me anyone who has experienced it here????? Most of us have fought tooth and nail at some point for something or other our loved ones have needed ...... ?:mad:

What this thread has thrown up – for me – is a ‘windfall’ of nearly half a million pounds to TP. Just how many people is that serving and for what purpose? How well it will be used is the assurance I am seeking.

I agree, a lot of threads at the moment are overlapping with concerns ... but I think they are all appropriately in the ‘Raising Awareness’ section and other people who have far more immediate needs to be concerned with can ignore what those of us are trying to achieve through dialogue and support here? I personally am struggling to keep up with them and put together what I would like to, to ask the questions ‘off forum’ to the right people. But it helps me now, to have input from like-minded souls in this section who are still caring in their own ways ... and I have asked before about whether it should be ‘blogged’ – that when I am despairing of what I am discovering locally – I can still come to TP for support and encouragement, to find out what is happening at national level – when quite frankly I feel like throwing in the towel - to challenge – and work - for change and improvement for all those affected by dementia.

And that includes those who cannot, for whatever reason, access TP which I very strongly feel (as people may have gathered!!!:rolleyes:) is sooooo important.

I must add that the services I am talking about are not the services needed to protect our vulnerable society,for those people there should always be statutory provision.

You don’t think dementia sufferers who have no-one to speak up for them are not amongst the most vulnerable in society?:confused::eek::confused::(

Right, that’s my last ramble here for a long time (phew!) .... got other fish to fry, as they say ...... ;)

Karen, x

PS: Thanks again Katherine – I think you know by now my challenges are meant to be nothing but constructive – even if they don’t always come across that way initially!:rolleyes:

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Tender Face;445274 Right said:
Just recently there have been quite a few posts that have created a bit of friction amongst members
It is a terrible shame that those people who feel so passionately about a subject ( and there are many who have differing views } should get to the point of saying they will no longer contribute their views
Whatever my (or other peoples) views are, this Forum needs your input
It is essential, wether we contribute or not,that we have the opportunity to listen to , and take in the subject of the discussion
Regretably the forum does not seem to cope with the opportunty for a structured debate Far to often an important
dicussion is sidelined before it ever gets the chance to develope
If only we had a chairman to control the discussion I am sure we would all benefit from the knowledge and wisdom of our fellow members
Please don't desert us ,we might like to digress occasionaly but I am sure I am not the only one who values your opinions , wether we agree with them or not
Keep up the good work
jimbo 111

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Karen, if you read my post you will realise that I am not talking about services for people with dementia, as I said ,services for our most vulnerable should be provided by the statutory sector.

However,as a country we have got used to hundreds of services given to us on a plate, and this has nothing to do with services for people with dementia,for example, mobile libraries,scholl patrol crossing, social lunch clubs etc etc.As a country we can not simply afford all of these things, so what are we to do.

This is where we need to give a bit back and help as a community run these services.

And yes, I am a supporter of the Big Society because in a nutshell to me it means that we should all start caring for our community and give a bit back for free whether a few hours or a few pounds and not be reliant on the state for everything.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Jimbo111, you’re right – there’s got to be a place for healthy debate.

Charities in Crisis: I watched the programme.

I don’t have personal knowledge of the resource/day centre in the programme that’s facing closure, and if I lived anywhere near there I’d fight tooth and nail to keep it going and fully-funded. Because I know that area of London very well indeed, and it’s one of the most deprived parts of the county. Very close to Kings Cross where no vulnerable older person would choose to walk during daylight hours, let alone after dark. Prostitutes, pimps, drunks and druggies are the main ‘street walkers’ – that’s one part of the fabric of the community there. I don’t think they’ll be volunteering their services to the day centres facing closure.

The majority of social housing there is very grim indeed. The older people in the programme won’t have gardens; they’ll be lucky to have a balcony and a window-box, and a lift that works to get them from their 6th floor flat to ground level – and if the lift ain’t working, it won’t get fixed in a hurry; many of the estates have been heavily vandalised by the bored ‘yoof’ because there’s nowt for them either. There are no parks; no affordable ‘eateries’; no meeting places safe for 80+ year olds.

They have never had anything handed to them on a plate – in their whole lives. (Sorry, Danny, but that one really got to me.) They’re not asking for charity either – they’re just asking for care and support as they live out their remaining years. Those girls and guys are made of tough stuff, believe me. I think it's shameful to take away their support and leave a great big gaping hole in their lives, without first having created the replacement support. It's almost as if this government is expecting a magician to come along, wave a magic wand and hey presto, normal service has been resumed. It's going to take years - and the kind of people featured in the programme don't have enough years left. It's taken many many years to build up the charities; it'll take as long again to create this strange thing called a Big Society.

The only cushion they’ve ever had is the kind they use to ease their aching backs.

They probably won’t have anything like the £14,000 savings that from now on will be the means-test crunch point for social care of any sort. They probably already pay for their lunch to be put on a plate for them.

They’ve no say in whether or not the day centres stay. Take away their day centre and they’ve got absolutely nothing left. Just their state pension, for which they’ve all contributed from the age of 15 probably. It doesn’t go far in that part of London – even if they use their bus pass to get to Chapel Market, for the leftovers.

There are 3 day centres in that immediate area facing closure – because of a loss of £770,000 funding from the council over the next 2 years. How does that compare with the £450,000 possible donation from Santander to fund TP? I can see Karen/Tender Face’s point. The loss of 3 day centres is serious and far removed from fluff. So if any charges are needed, perhaps a charge to access TP? If each TPer paid according to the number of posts they post in any given week - or even the length of post!! :cool:- the AS could be one charity increasing its funding. Now there’s a thought for the AS to consider! (And I might even consider posting more often!!)

There are now 20 day centres threatened with closure in the relatively small county where I live. Not one single protest group is being listened to. Social care provision is now to be fully-self-funded here, unless someone is in absolutely desperate need, or is destitute.

The programme talked of ‘frontline’ services being cut back. There’s no definition of ‘frontline services’ anywhere according to the government, who promised not to cut back on frontline services. That may be why they didn’t define it. But that’s exactly what is happening.

Should frontline social care rely on charities and charitable donations? A civilised society, rich as ours is - we are not a Third World country, we are a rich country - should be prepared to support those in need of frontline health and social care by taxation, not by charitable donations, and certainly not by volunteers alone. But taxation is apparently another sticking point. Modern charities, like the AS, are funded by the state to deliver services on behalf of the state. The AS must get government funding, and it also gets local authority funding. That’s part of the reason for the uncomfortable threads of late.

£3bn funding to be lost over the coming 4 years? 26,000 charity workers to lose their jobs and become unemployed. Are they the ones who should now become cheap/free labour, volunteering to do for nothing the jobs they once did to keep the wolf from the door, to house, feed and clothe their own family? They’ll be on benefits themselves soon. I can’t work out how you can fill that kind of Big Hole with a Big Society: which according to spokesperson on the programme involves “volunteering, philanthropy, social action”.

Baroness Warsi: "Social Action involves millions of people doing millions of things that make a real difference to their community every day. It is how we can all create social change within our society. I like to think of it as doing your bit or mucking in, however small the action, it all adds up to changing your community for the better.”

Before long, we'll all be urged to dig up our gardens and plant potatoes, and build an Anderson Shelter.

There’s nothing wrong with that kind of social action, but I fail to see how you can replace services that have struggled to provide essential adequate support, with their funded and trained professionals, by ad hoc volunteering. An infrastructure will still be needed, plus all the other things Tender Face mentioned. It’s a sad day indeed when all the hard work that has gone into building up charities over many years is about to be swept away. All because of ideology.

One rule for some? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12860296

“We’ll all be up the knacker’s yard” she said. I think she’s right. She may not have dementia – she’s just an older person who's probably worked all the hours sent, for a pittance. She lives close to the knacker's yard already.