Change to young, inexperienced, untrained and over-familiar carers

Katee

Sep 19, 2013
Glasgow
Change to young, inexperienced and untrained carers

For about the past 18 months my mother has received daily visits now at 8.30am and 5.30pm from about 12 regular carers contracted by their LA to a private care provider. Mum has a benign pituitary tumour, osteoporosis and renal problems. She lives with my dad, who is nearly 90 with his own health problems, and 40 miles away from me. She is in a wheelchair and uses a stand aid for transitions. My father was sometimes forgetting to give her crucial medication and then doubling when he missed a dose. Her dementia and behaviour is constantly up and down with UTIs. Six years ago she went several days with a broken pelvis and pneumonia after a fall and was hospitalized for six months. Broke her hip while there and since then has been mentally impaired (TRIGGERED DEMENTIA?) and in a wheel chair. Mum and dad are old school and independent and think there are others worse off and don't like bothering doctors.

It has been reassuring to have these carers pop in and give my mum her medication for the two visits, chat with mum and dad and leave; fifteen minutes twice a day. They were all caring, trustworthy and lovely individuals albeit without formal training and relative degrees of experience but all had common sense and decency. When I was ill they offered help to my parents above and beyond. We will never forget them.

Apart from one, they are all leaving because of working conditions: long hours, constant changes to their placements without provision of transport, red tape, inflexibility about time off with notice. In their place mum is receiving visits from very young (in their 20s) and people who have no experience and limited training. That's not what has upset my mother: some of these girls are over-familiar and cocky and... Mum is very down and agitated and wants to stop their visits and I don't blame her.

I'm worried because for the past six months I've had a few two-week gaps between helping and looking after my parents because I've had more than usual viruses and an eye infection. So it's been a huge relief to know that the carers would call a doctor or have their agency contact me.

I don't know if it's worth contacting local authority to say 'Not Appropriate Adults' for two 15-minute visits?

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I think you should. If you're not comfortable with the care your parents are being given then the LA needs to know why. I filled in a survey yesterday about my husbands needs and I would like to think somebody somewhere was paying attention.

Good wishes.

Katee

Sep 19, 2013
Glasgow
I think you should. If you're not comfortable with the care your parents are being given then the LA needs to know why. I filled in a survey yesterday about my husbands needs and I would like to think somebody somewhere was paying attention.

Good wishes.

Thank you, Marionq. Trying to stay composed and my post was far too long. I hope everything is as good as it can be for you and your husband.

Best wishes and thank you again

Kate

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Katee

Yes you must complain.

I had one carer who was too young and inexperienced to cope with my husband . I phoned the agency and asked for carers more suitable to his needs and the young one didn`t come again.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Indeed you should. Over here, although there is no legal requirement for mandatory training, most Care Agencies do train their staff to a recognised level as a minimum. And the largest Agency provider is one of the biggest campaigners for Regulation of the Home Care industry and mandatory training. The same Agency is proud of the fact that the average age of their care staff is mid to late forties, although they do have younger people too. They say that certainly elderly clients prefer to have more mature carers.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We have had a mixed bag, some of the best ones had very little formal training but plenty of life experience. Some of the younger ones were among the better ones, but iit comes down to their attitude.
Back to your question Katee, I would definitely report your concerns to the LA social care services and request a different agency if necessary.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You can learn everything on the job really, but if your attitude stinks, you'll never be a good carer, however old you are. I told our care manager that I don't care how many years experience they have - they need to have the right character and willingness to learn. Some older carers have lost all enthusiasm for their job and just go through the motions. So far we have fared better with younger carers with the right attitude, but everyone is unique and if any carer is not up to your standards, you must say so. However, I would inform the care agency first and only inform social services if the service does not improve at all or they take no action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathyann