Carers

MattsMam67

Nov 27, 2023
Hi there my names Jan . I'm on benefits and claim Carers Allowance for looking after my dad . I'm wondering will this be affected if my dad has carers coming in to help me twice a day. As I'm not sure and I don't have any support from my sibling.
Thank you in advance x

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @MattsMam67 It is my understanding that as long a you are caring for your dad for at least 35 hours per week that you are entitled to carers allowance however some benefits can affect your entitlement. If you have any doubts about this I would be a good idea to check this out. There should be a telephone number of the letter that you received regarding your carers allowance.

I have attached a link from the government website for your information regarding carers allowance.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hello @MattsMam67 It is my understanding that as long a you are caring for your dad for at least 35 hours per week that you are entitled to carers allowance however some benefits can affect your entitlement. If you have any doubts about this I would be a good idea to check this out. There should be a telephone number of the letter that you received regarding your carers allowance.

I have attached a link from the government website for your information regarding carers allowance.
carers allowance gets taken off of other benefits. ive never claimed it as i dont benefit being on benefits as well. does your dad claim attendance allowance which is not means tested and wont be taken off any benefits he may be claiming.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I claimed carer's allowance for my mother in law even though she had private carers visits 3 times a day for breakfast, prompting medication , preparing lunch and checking she was OK in the evening. I covered the hours by taking her shopping, taking her to appointments, sorting out finances, being present for the hairdresser, podiatrist, nurse etc., doing her laundry and facilitating visitors to her home. The hours quickly mounted up .