Carers' respite leave 'to double'

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Margarita, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Someone just sent this to me , thought I ould share it with you all
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7445369.stm

2. TinaT

TinaT Registered User

Sep 27, 2006
    Bolton
    Unfortunately the money which is proposed to become available does not meet the scale of the need. It sounds like a lot of funding when you read the amount but if you divide it by the amount of people needing respite etc which is to be paid from this pot - then the figures just don't add up. Don't suppose they ever will, especially in view of the prognosis about how many people will need respite in the future.

xxTinaT

3. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Sounds good Maggie.

However as I could never get respite, unless I paid for it myself, 'twice nothing is still nothing' in my book.

4. CYN

CYN Registered User

Jan 4, 2008
    east sussex
    Yes Connie i also had to pay for respite which was £500 per week two years ago.

Cynthia

5. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Well Government must of added it up with omitting people that can pay for it themselves , wondering if that how they come up with the Figure :rolleyes: , it does not say mind you , about if your self funded & having to still pay for it .

6. Cliff

Cliff Registered User

Jun 29, 2007
    North Wales
    Dear Margarita,

That lot are gearing up for their long summer holidays and feeding good news as fast as they can.

Come the Queen's speech it will all be forgotten as so many things in the past. It costs too much and they know it.

Love,

7. lesmisralbles

lesmisralbles Account Closed

Nov 23, 2007
    Ron saw his consultant today

What a waste of time.
    We waited one and a half hours.
    This was the Parkinson's Consultant.
    They want to pump Ron full of drug's:(
    They might work, OR they could have bad side effect's:(
    For God's sake, Ron is 84, leave him alone.
    WE, will grow old, DISGRACEFULLY:D

And, if we look drunk, it is because Ron has Parkinson,s, and I am full of wiskey:D
    Barb & Ron XX
    PS
    We will die HAPPY:D
    We met each other, that is enough:)

8. Lynne

Lynne Registered User

Jun 3, 2005
    Suffolk,England
    I'll believe it when it's actually offered it to me ...

:cool: meanwhile ...

Attached Files:

9. Margaret W

Margaret W Registered User

Apr 28, 2007
    North Derbyshire
    Dear Barb and Ron

I don't think I have replied to your posts before, but have read them all. Just felt like saying "Good on ya", keep Ron off the drugs and swig the Whiskey. So long as it works, keep it up.

Much love and best wishes

Margaret

10. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #10 Margarita, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
    I get 8 weeks a year respite Lynn so double that is 16 weeks .

So I am going to ask for 6 weeks respite over the summer ****** of to Gibraltar for the duration of those 6 weeks ( yeah I know in my dreams )

But

I don't wait till they offer it to me I tell social worker I saw it on the Internet, like I did when I saw something about direct payment for us the Carer , she ask for the link so I gave it to her , she still not got back to me about it :D.

But that only because of I not rang her up about it , as I have an important date on my mind , that I need arrangement to arrange someone to sit with mum for the day .

But soon as that only , watch this space I want my double respite this year & social worker going to get the link where I saw it written on :D :D

well said lol I 2nd

ROTFL lol lol I hate whiskey , but if it does the trick like Margaret say go for it :) lol.

11. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Maggie, don't want to rain on your parade, (or on Gibraltar:D), but:

It's only a proposal, and is part of a ten-year plan!!!!

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high!:(

Love,

12. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Shame :D New it was only in my dreams like I said .

13. lesmisralbles

lesmisralbles Account Closed

Nov 23, 2007
    We are still waiting

Respite, no do not want that, as in a week,s respite. BUT, would like a few hour's a week to have my hair done etc:)
    OR, god forbid, Ron could do something he would like:D
    Para gliding, swim the channel, have a massage;) (no, come on, it would do him good;))
    Chocolate Teapot, waiting for him to say YES:(
    I do not think so:mad:
    Life is but a dream:)
    So make it a happy one:D

Barb & Ron XX

14. Jane.B

Jane.B Registered User

Dec 7, 2007
    Hampshire
    I've got 6 respite's this year, of 2 weeks which is about every 8 weeks or so. The care home is private, but has 2 national health beds for those of us who can't pay.
    Unfortunately the money suggested by the government won't be ring fenced, so councils can use it for whatever they want.