Carers' respite leave 'to double'

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Someone just sent this to me , thought I ould share it with you all
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7445369.stm

Today's announcement of a new vision for the next 10 years is - according to the health minister, Ivan Lewis - supposed to reflect the changing needs of our times.

"In a society where an increasing number of us are caring for ageing parents or sick and disabled relatives, it is right that we recognise carers are at the heart of 21st century families and communities," he said.

"In the next decade elder care will be the new childcare and it is essential our policies properly meet the scale of the challenge.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Unfortunately the money which is proposed to become available does not meet the scale of the need. It sounds like a lot of funding when you read the amount but if you divide it by the amount of people needing respite etc which is to be paid from this pot - then the figures just don't add up. Don't suppose they ever will, especially in view of the prognosis about how many people will need respite in the future.

xxTinaT

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sounds good Maggie.

However as I could never get respite, unless I paid for it myself, 'twice nothing is still nothing' in my book.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It sounds like a lot of funding when you read the amount but if you divide it by the amount of people needing respite etc which is to be paid from this pot

Well Government must of added it up with omitting people that can pay for it themselves , wondering if that how they come up with the Figure :rolleyes: , it does not say mind you , about if your self funded & having to still pay for it .

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Dear Margarita,

That lot are gearing up for their long summer holidays and feeding good news as fast as they can.

Come the Queen's speech it will all be forgotten as so many things in the past. It costs too much and they know it.

Love,

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Ron saw his consultant today

What a waste of time.
We waited one and a half hours.
This was the Parkinson's Consultant.
They want to pump Ron full of drug's:(
They might work, OR they could have bad side effect's:(
For God's sake, Ron is 84, leave him alone.
WE, will grow old, DISGRACEFULLY:D

And, if we look drunk, it is because Ron has Parkinson,s, and I am full of wiskey:D
Barb & Ron XX
PS
We will die HAPPY:D
We met each other, that is enough:)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
I'll believe it when it's actually offered it to me ...

:cool: meanwhile ...

Attachments

• I wont vote 4u.jpg
    I wont vote 4u.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 238

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Barb and Ron

I don't think I have replied to your posts before, but have read them all. Just felt like saying "Good on ya", keep Ron off the drugs and swig the Whiskey. So long as it works, keep it up.

Much love and best wishes

Margaret

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I'll believe it when it's actually offered it to me ...

I get 8 weeks a year respite Lynn so double that is 16 weeks .

So I am going to ask for 6 weeks respite over the summer ****** of to Gibraltar for the duration of those 6 weeks ( yeah I know in my dreams )

But

I don't wait till they offer it to me I tell social worker I saw it on the Internet, like I did when I saw something about direct payment for us the Carer , she ask for the link so I gave it to her , she still not got back to me about it :D.

But that only because of I not rang her up about it , as I have an important date on my mind , that I need arrangement to arrange someone to sit with mum for the day .

But soon as that only , watch this space I want my double respite this year & social worker going to get the link where I saw it written on :D :D

Good on ya", keep Ron off the drugs and swig the Whiskey. So long as it works, keep it up.

well said lol I 2nd

ROTFL lol lol I hate whiskey , but if it does the trick like Margaret say go for it :) lol.

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Maggie, don't want to rain on your parade, (or on Gibraltar:D), but:

Ministers say they want to improve carers` incomes, but any benefits reform has not yet been finalised. Until it is, many carers will give these plans only a cautious welcome.

It's only a proposal, and is part of a ten-year plan!!!!

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high!:(

Love,

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
We are still waiting

Respite, no do not want that, as in a week,s respite. BUT, would like a few hour's a week to have my hair done etc:)
OR, god forbid, Ron could do something he would like:D
Para gliding, swim the channel, have a massage;) (no, come on, it would do him good;))
Chocolate Teapot, waiting for him to say YES:(
I do not think so:mad:
Life is but a dream:)
So make it a happy one:D

Barb & Ron XX

Jane.B

Dec 7, 2007
Hampshire
I've got 6 respite's this year, of 2 weeks which is about every 8 weeks or so. The care home is private, but has 2 national health beds for those of us who can't pay.
Unfortunately the money suggested by the government won't be ring fenced, so councils can use it for whatever they want.