Carers kissing and cuddling CH residents

hilliver

Feb 19, 2013
Hampshire
It really should depend on the reaction of each resident, if your mum does not like her hair ruffled then he should not do it, but he is obviously unaware of her dislike.

When working as a carer I found a smile, gentle voice and some physical contact worked well, but you have to be sensitive about who and when. My mother who I care for, will welcome me sitting with her and holding her hand one day, and another day she will pull her hand away. She had a nasty fall last weekend, I arrived to find she had got out of bed herself, normally she now needs assistance to stand and walk, and once I had checked that there were no broken bones I covered her up and sat on the floor stroking her face which calmed her down before I moved her, later that day she was back to her stroppy self.

Rosie Webros

May 8, 2013
This is a really difficult situation. My dad just loves all the attention. Since his Alzheimer's has taken hold he loves the ladies. He was not like this at all before the illness. He was such a gentleman. Now in his care home he is so happy because there are lots of lovely nurses who hold his hand, give him a kiss, tell him he is special. He is always smiling. I feel happy for him, and it is all so innocent. But that's dad. If he wasn't happy with this I would bring it to the care home's attention. It is such a personal situation, and I hope it soon gets sorted for you. xx