carers and toileting sling

caring a

Mar 1, 2014
morning,,i posted this issue yesterday but sadly didnt start a new thread,,,,,:eek:
quite simply mums now hoisted at all times and there has been some disagreement between carers wiether putting incon/slip back on while in hoist is wrong..
some say it is dangerous and more than that not advised by the govt bodies who regulate these things,,,
i just want to know from somebody who is right,,,so i can tell them straight n stop the bickering between each other,,
any body any ideas please,,

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Whatever the task, they should NOT be bickering in front of your Mum.

Ask the agency to send a pair of carers that agree on the way to do things.

I don't suppose either is right or wrong, just best for the person they are working with.

I cannot imagine changing a pad whilst in the sling is very safe. Hoisting her onto the pad, remove the sling then do up the pad sounds much better. ( side fastening pads/nappy style)

Last edited:

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
I work with disabled children/young adults. We would NEVER be allowed to do anything whilst they are in the sling. It is very dangerous. Slings and hoists are used solely for moving students from A to B to change or reposition them.
I know I am not in UK but I would think the same rules should apply.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I did reply to your post on the other thread. Whatever you sort out, you need to get it in your care plan. You also have to be assertive with the carers. I've had to do it over several issues but it isn't fair to your mum to have different ways of doing things.
Changing in the sling, sounds very dodgy to me but whether it's downright wrong I don't know. I can only say I would not allow it for my husband

Sooty2

Jun 1, 2015
I am a moving and handling advisor and have been for many years, moving and handling should always be done in line with the risk assessment in place, toileting slings post a whole range of hazards, so the questions you need to ask initially are
Does mum have good trunk control, in other words can she sit up unaided, if the answer to this is no then the sling is not appropriate for her, I would say that if they are changing her mid air that's dangerous, if they are just lifting her a little above the bed and doing it quickly then probably it would be ok, but there are so many other dependent things, the sling should be fitted around mums waist, not underneath the breasts/chest which I commonly see, mums arms should be outside of the sling at all times, Id ring the company and ask them about staff training, what have they been told? Have a look at the risk assessment, if it says hoist, two people then it says a lot for me about the person who has conducted the assessment, best practice for me would be changed on the bed, but I know the score with most of these companies and they do it to save time, unfortunately its all to common place. Follow your instincts, if you are watching and you are thinking to yourself mum will be out of the sling at any point you are pre empting n accident, Id ask for a meeting with the manager to discuss your concerns.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I am a moving and handling advisor and have been for many years, moving and handling should always be done in line with the risk assessment in place, toileting slings post a whole range of hazards, so the questions you need to ask initially are
Does mum have good trunk control, in other words can she sit up unaided, if the answer to this is no then the sling is not appropriate for her, I would say that if they are changing her mid air that's dangerous, if they are just lifting her a little above the bed and doing it quickly then probably it would be ok, but there are so many other dependent things, the sling should be fitted around mums waist, not underneath the breasts/chest which I commonly see, mums arms should be outside of the sling at all times, Id ring the company and ask them about staff training, what have they been told? Have a look at the risk assessment, if it says hoist, two people then it says a lot for me about the person who has conducted the assessment, best practice for me would be changed on the bed, but I know the score with most of these companies and they do it to save time, unfortunately its all to common place. Follow your instincts, if you are watching and you are thinking to yourself mum will be out of the sling at any point you are pre empting n accident, Id ask for a meeting with the manager to discuss your concerns.
This has answered a number of questions about toileting slings for me, thank you. We were advised not to have one by our M and H advisor and as self funders the carers are not rushed. But you have made clear some of the things we need to think about as things get worse
One last thing caring, bickering about something seems to be almost inevitable if you have two carers. Either that or 'this is a party'. Again you have to be assertive. Doesn't make you popular but gets things done safely

Last edited: