carers allowence

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Help please.

If my mum moves into residential care, do I loose my carers allowence?
Thanks.

You have to look after someone at least 35 hrs per week to get carers allowance so yes you will,

Last edited:

Corriefan

Dec 30, 2012
It sucks that they just take it away instantly without giving you the chance to find an alternative source of income. Apparently if the person dies I think they continue to pay it for some time to give you chance to get yourself sorted. If the person has gone into a care home it's cut off straightaway. How do they think people are going to manage?

Duchess602

Oct 25, 2014
Residential Care

I found this online, it may help.

Residential care

If the person you care for moves into residential care, you will only be able to continue to claim CA if they continue to receive a qualifying disability benefit and you are still caring for them for at least 35 hours a week. Your CA will stop if you are no longer caring for them for at least 35 hours a week or their qualifying disability benefit stops.

The following benefits will usually stop after 4 weeks when someone moves into residential care:

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for personal care needs
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component
Attendance Allowance
However, there are certain circumstances when these benefits can continue, such as where the person is paying their own fees. To find out more contact the Carers UK Adviceline.

If your CA stops due the person you care for moving into residential care, you can continue to get the carer premium or addition paid with your means-tested benefits for 8 weeks after your CA stops.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It doesn't automatically stop.So long as

The person being cared for receives a "qualifying benefit", th emain ones are DLA or Attendance Allowance

AND

The person claiming Carer Allowance spends at least 35 hours per week providing "care". Care has an extremely broad definition and includes almost everything (such as doing laundry, shopping, or simply being available if needed, you do not need to live with the caree either)

So there is nothing to say that just because the caree is in residental care you cannot receive Carer's Allowance - so long as the criteria are fulfilled you can

As I recall, the 35 hours has to be throughout a week and regular - so it can't be, say, just a whole weekend but nothing else. It also similarly has to be throughout a month or year so you can't do one whole week of 24/7 care in a month, that sort of thing.

However, all this said, it would probably be quite hard to justify claiming CA if the caree is in full-time residential care, as the authorities could question exactly what you are doing that the care home isn't (and possibly should be)