Carers Allowance Question

Amorphia

Nov 15, 2023
Trying to figure out what my parents are entitled to but they never make it easy for you do they?!! My dad gets attendance allowance and my mum cares for him 24/7 but we've never applied for carers allowance. I read that you can't earn more than £139 a week - is that for someone who is actually in employment or does that include her pension as her earnings? She has a small amount coming in from an investment and if you add it to her pension it takes her a little over that 139 amount so not sure if I should apply for her or not ?? I could lower her amount from her investment to the very lowest sum she's entitled to but that takes her to £5 just over the £139! 🤷🏻‍♀️

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
DWP pension is included, private pensions are not.
Is investment income a pension?
I don't think other investment income is included, it is not earnings.

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
HI @Amorphia - if your mum gets state pension, then she won't be entitled to carer's allowance. They're classed as overlapping benefits :( Sorry if that's sad news for you.
S x

Amorphia

Nov 15, 2023
HI @Amorphia - if your mum gets state pension, then she won't be entitled to carer's allowance. They're classed as overlapping benefits :( Sorry if that's sad news for you.
S x
Thank you for clarifying. It's not a big deal. I just want them to be able receive anything they may be entitled to and not missing out because shortly they'll be putting all their savings into my dad's care :(

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Also is your mum entitled to pension credit?
I applied for my mum who lived alone and was quite surprised when she was eligible.
That's a gateway to free dental, TV licence etc