Careres pay

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Norm, I guess you mean as in employed? I did a bit of home work there for Mum. I found that if you are self funding, you may find employing privately is cheaper. SS was a lot more down here in the South but you need to look at the overal package and the back up, transport etc. Different agencies have different fees although there is a fairly middle road I found. Ring around and get some quotes, thats what I did. I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but it is how you will find out what is available in your area. Don't forget Crossroads, Age Concern etc. often do services which may be cheaper than an agency could if you want a couple of hours or a night. Hope you get the help you need Norm, you do so much for Peg. Love She. XX

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Carer's pay

Dear Norman
My Social worker told me that private agency fees in this area are about £15/hr. He gave me a list of 14 local agencies, (entitled Domiciliary Home Care Providers) I haven't contacted any yet as I am waiting to hear from the Direct Payments people.

I still feel that I can manage to provide care for Margaret, but can see that some respite would be advantageous to both of us. Therefore I am exploring possibilities before we reach crisis point.

I feel as though, while the matter needs attention it is not yet imperative that help is immediately forthcoming. I am on the waiting list for Crossroads as well as persuing the Direct Payment route. Our son has also come up with an offer (without prompting) to take Margaret out a couple of hours once a week.

If all these come to fruition at once I won't know what has hit me.

You sound from your recent postings as though you are in a similar position, hope you soon find the help that we all need.

Cheers Barraf

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norman,

Carers fees via a Private Agency down here seem to start at around $16 per hour for 'social' hours with evenings and weekends being considerably more expensive. I hope that isn't the case in your area.

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
barraff
you are right I think we are in similar situations.
I have 3 hours a week from Crossroads at the moment ,on the waiting list for another 3.
Have found a wonderful cleaner (funded by son No 2),every 4th monday AM I go to a club and she is quite happy to double up as a carer for that morning.Her suggestion.
Friday mornings I go to play bowls indoor and Son No 1 provides cover for that.
Boy am I living,lets wait and see what the direct payment is all about.Barraff I have sent you a pm about that.

Norman

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norman,

It's wonderful to know that you are getting out and about a bit more now. Even a few hours makes such a difference, doesn't it?

Jude

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare