Carer Support

Nuala

Nov 6, 2009
Dorset
Hello Everyone... The wonderful carer who helped our family look after my mum as she died of mixed dementia and, who has been caring for my dad, diagnosed with Alzheimer's, has retired. We have found a new carer but it's no longer possible for us or the carer to leave him when we take a break during the day.
I've been trawling through the internet to see if I can find a sitting or companionship service - someone who would be with him for a 2 hour stint once a day. It would need to be a regular person as all the change is really disturbing him. We were hoping to find a volunteer service but I'm a bit confused how to go about it. So many of the items on the web are agency based and we already pay a fortune to an agency for the carer.
Does anyone have any suggestions... in the Poole, Dorset area.
Thank you in advance...

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Hello Everyone... The wonderful carer who helped our family look after my mum as she died of mixed dementia and, who has been caring for my dad, diagnosed with Alzheimer's, has retired. We have found a new carer but it's no longer possible for us or the carer to leave him when we take a break during the day.
I've been trawling through the internet to see if I can find a sitting or companionship service - someone who would be with him for a 2 hour stint once a day. It would need to be a regular person as all the change is really disturbing him. We were hoping to find a volunteer service but I'm a bit confused how to go about it. So many of the items on the web are agency based and we already pay a fortune to an agency for the carer.
Does anyone have any suggestions... in the Poole, Dorset area.
Thank you in advance...

Call Mind
Call Crossroads Care
Call Social Services.

I may not be possible to get one person as they all give such limited hours, you might need to get a few hours from a few places.

Sorry I don't have anything more of value to add. I hope others will.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Have you had a community assessment/Carers Assessment? If not I would advise you to phone social services and get this done.

Nuala

Nov 6, 2009
Dorset
Call Coventry Mind
Call Crossroads Care
Call Social Services.

I may not be possible to get one person as they all give such limited hours, you might need to get a few hours from a few places.

Sorry I don't have anything more of value to add. I hope others will.

Thanks so much - all ideas are gratefully received...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65