Carer from Kansas

MK Thompson

Jan 10, 2024
Hello. I have recently taken the family role as carer for my 88 year-old mother who is in stage 6 dementia. My father has been primary carer for past 3 years and can no longer meet the physical demands so I am honored to step in. Just curious if there are others whose person is in this stage? Do they sleep alot? Limited interest in doing things? Decrease appetite/weight loss? Any suggestions with navigating these waters? Thank you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @MK Thompson and welcome to the forum

Yes, stage 6 is the point at which there are often a lot of physical problems starting. It is normal in the later stages of dementia for them to sleep a lot more and eat a lot less so that they tend to lose weight - the trick is to forget about "healthy eating" and load up what they do eat with calories.

Its also normal for them to have less interest in doing things because they can no longer remember how to do them. Go for much simpler things like colouring or sorting buttons. Eventually, Im afraid, even this will become beyond them

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @MK Thompson and welcome from me also to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here from members that really do want to help.
I am sorry to read about your Mother. At this stage of the disease, it's certainly very tough, as the decline of all sorts of faculties becomes very apparent. @canary has given you some good suggestions already.
I hope you will find this forum useful for information, suggestions and sound advice. Wishing you strength as you go through this stage.