Carer for my wife

sandman 28

Jan 8, 2023
Hi im chris i look after my wife who has Alzheimers Dementia been diagnosed officially 2 year's ago she's only 58 now that took me 14 month's to get her diagnosed being fobbed off constantly to say i struggle at time's is an understatement would love to speak regularly with someone in a similar position im not the best with social emails ect hope this works

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @sandman 28 and welcome to posting on Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis at such a young age. I don't have any experience of that as my wife was in her 70s when diagnosed. There's a lot of information to be found here and many members who will support you when you need it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Chris and welcome, you have posted it right.
I was in a similar position when my wife was diagnosed with early onset AZ mid 50s.
Luckily I was able to carry on working, transferred to working from home and made it work for us.
I was never let out of her sight, followed me round like a shadow, now she's no longer with us I miss my shadow, but Id do it all again tomorrow if I could.
K

sandman 28

Jan 8, 2023
Hi @sandman 28 and welcome to posting on Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis at such a young age. I don't have any experience of that as my wife was in her 70s when diagnosed. There's a lot of information to be found here and many members who will support you when you need it.
Thanks for your reply hopefully i can navigate through the site 🙏

sandman 28

Jan 8, 2023
Hi Chris and welcome, you have posted it right.
I was in a similar position when my wife was diagnosed with early onset AZ mid 50s.
Luckily I was able to carry on working, transferred to working from home and made it work for us.
I was never let out of her sight, followed me round like a shadow, now she's no longer with us I miss my shadow, but Id do it all again tomorrow if I could.
K
Hi thanks for your message so sorry for your loss im doing all i can do looking after her its a horrible disease heartbreaking isn't the word

sandman 28

Jan 8, 2023
Thanks for your reply 👍

LouiseK!

Jul 17, 2020
Hi im chris i look after my wife who has Alzheimers Dementia been diagnosed officially 2 year's ago she's only 58 now that took me 14 month's to get her diagnosed being fobbed off constantly to say i struggle at time's is an understatement would love to speak regularly with someone in a similar position im not the best with social emails ect hope this works
Hi Chris, my hubby was diagnosed at 59, he's 65 now and getting more confused. Struggles with most tasks, personal care is becoming more difficult and needs prompts and supervision. I would say it's humour that has kept us going, although it can be quite stressful at times. I still work 3 days a week, 2 days at home, but I'm finding it difficult, I will be resigning in August as we will be financially okay once he gets his state pension. Hopefully I will have more patience. My advice is just take one day at a time.