Care Homes in Thailand

Hongky

Feb 21, 2022
Hi, my husband has relatively advanced dementia and I have been caring for him for the past 10 years. It won't be long before we have to start looking at homes, but where we live they start at about GBP1500 per week. This is just not viable for us so I am researching ones in Thailand 1:1 care start at about GBP1200 per MONTH, and I wondered if anyone has done it and their thoughts about it. I'd be grateful for any advice thank you.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Wow - that's a big difference and you would not get 1-1 care here for £1500 anyway...

I'm assuming you/your husband have some connection with Thailand? Would you move there too?

Hongky

Feb 21, 2022
Yes I have contacts there and I would relocate there. The care seems to be much more thorough than here but would really like to connect with someone who has done it.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Hongky
a warm welcome to DTP
I don't know about care homes elsewhere ... though am concerned about your future as uprooting will have a major effect

and am wondering whether you have checked about paying your husband's care home fees as you mention 'us' rather than 'he'

any fees are paid only from your husband's income and savings plus half of any joint assets, not any of yours, and your home is disregarded so you won't be asked to sell it ... you can be gifted half of any of his private pensions (not state pension)
should your husband's savings fall below £23250 the Local Authority will begin to contribute, if his income does not cover the fees
so although the care fees in your area may be higher than your husband can afford indefinitely, there is financial support available

Hongky

Feb 21, 2022
Thank you for setting this out clearly but it won't really change our situation. Appreciate the support.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Hi, my husband has relatively advanced dementia and I have been caring for him for the past 10 years. It won't be long before we have to start looking at homes, but where we live they start at about GBP1500 per week. This is just not viable for us so I am researching ones in Thailand 1:1 care start at about GBP1200 per MONTH, and I wondered if anyone has done it and their thoughts about it. I'd be grateful for any advice thank you.
How would he cope with the language difference?
I appreciate"English" is a fairly universal language, but there is a real difference in foreign english to Queens English.
However if he is fluent in Thai from a very young age, there may be a great advantage to moving.
Then there is the food difference, PWD's are very set in their ways and likes. Change does not come easily or quickly.

Bod

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The care seems to be much more thorough than here but would really like to connect with someone who has done it.
The problem with choosing a care home is that what suits one person may not suit another.

When OH went into respite he was happy to go as the place had a "hotel" vibe and he was orientated in the here and now enough for him to think of it as a hotel and him having a holiday.
Mum, however, wanted a home. The place she moved to did not have any of the "bells and whistles" of the more expensive places and the decore was rather shabby and old-fashioned, but this fed into her childhood memories of what a home is like and it certainly did have a very "homely" atmosphere, so mum was very happy (and well looked after) there.

Even if someone came on here and said that they had moved their person with dementia to a care home in Thailand and it was working very well, it unfortunately does not mean that the same thing will happen to you. It is one of the reasons why in the T&Cs of this site, we are not allowed to recommend specific care homes. I always recommend that people, when choosing a care home, look beyond the brochure and visit in person - then look beyond the eye-catching stuff, ask yourself how much of what is on offer will actually be relevant to the person with dementia, see how the residents are actually treated, how the carers interact with them and whether it will meet their needs. Ask how "challenging" behaviour like incontinence, resistance to personal care, aggressive behaviour, high falls risks, wandering, insisting on "going home" and eating difficulties would be managed. You may not have any of these problems now, but they may happen in the future. I would not like to choose somewhere "blind"

Is it possible to go over there and actually view at least a couple of the places before making a decision?

Hongky

Feb 21, 2022
Thank you for your comments. Yes we are planning to go out there. I agree what is suitable for one may not be for another but at least it gives an idea.

Davidb1973

May 26, 2023
Hi. I know your thread was a while back, but I am considering the same. I have recently been out to Thailand and have to say impressed is an understatement. One of the care homes which is part of a big chain didn't really impress but the front runners where one in pataya and 2 in Chains Mai. I have selected one in Chiang Mai which is owned by a British guy, the other one was fine but the one I selected felt better and I didn't have to ask to many questions as most of what I needed to know was volunteered (the good and the bad). If you do go out there have a little break and use a popular taxi app which will make viewing homes a lot easier (I understand I can't recommend homes/companies hence have not)

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Can I just comment? My friends brother in law had extensive surgery for cancer last year In Thailand. The bill for his surgery was £50k. This figure sounds unbelievable? But literally that what it cost.

Do not forget that Care fees don’t include medical expenses.

KrissyC

Jun 1, 2023
Hi. I know your thread was a while back, but I am considering the same. I have recently been out to Thailand and have to say impressed is an understatement. One of the care homes which is part of a big chain didn't really impress but the front runners where one in pataya and 2 in Chains Mai. I have selected one in Chiang Mai which is owned by a British guy, the other one was fine but the one I selected felt better and I didn't have to ask to many questions as most of what I needed to know was volunteered (the good and the bad). If you do go out there have a little break and use a popular taxi app which will make viewing homes a lot easier (I understand I can't recommend homes/companies hence have not)
My husband and his sister are on their way back from Thailand today! Their mother has dementia and it costs £1300 a week for a tiny room in a care home. They visited five whilst out there and have chosen one. It's now just the headache of arranging to fly with her out there! She's always loved foreign travel and sunshine!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
A warm welcome to Dementia Talking Point @KrissyC. I hope it works out well for your mother in law, and I’d be very interested in what you think the pros and cons are a few months down the line.
I moved my mum from London to the East Midlands as I was worried about getting to her in time if she took a turn for the worst. Another reason was being near at hand I can keep an eye on how things are and talk to the home about concerns. All very difficult when your loved one is so far away, specially if they can’t speak for themselves.

KrissyC

Jun 1, 2023
A warm welcome to Dementia Talking Point @KrissyC. I hope it works out well for your mother in law, and I’d be very interested in what you think the pros and cons are a few months down the line.
I moved my mum from London to the East Midlands as I was worried about getting to her in time if she took a turn for the worst. Another reason was being near at hand I can keep an eye on how things are and talk to the home about concerns. All very difficult when your loved one is so far away, specially if they can’t speak for themselves.
Thanks Sarasa...My husband and his sister returned from a successful visit to Thailand two weeks ago and it's not all systems go. It really did help them to decide by taking an actual look in person. My mother-in-law has lost all memory of us - she doesn't even recognise my husband and his sister as her children and doesn't know herself in photographs. What helps is knowing that she would have loved to end up somewhere warm and exotic. She travelled around India on her own for a few months; travelled in an aid convoy to Bosnia and Kosovo and travelled around Europe , none of it when she was of gap-year age! I will definitely update!

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
I was thinking of going back to my homeland if I do need care. For £1000 a month the facilities are like a hotel but my husband does not want to. It’s a tropical island.

KrissyC

Jun 1, 2023
I was thinking of going back to my homeland if I do need care. For £1000 a month the facilities are like a hotel but my husband does not want to. It’s a tropical island.
I hope he comes around to agreeing with you Jan48.

KrissyC

Jun 1, 2023
Hi...so, an update. Mother-in-law is now out in Thailand. My husband and his sister stayed with her whilst she settled in, albeit at arms length, to enable the her to get used to her carer / other staff. She has her own one-on-one person and there are other residents with a range of conditions (from dementia to able minded/bodied). The airline that flew them out could not have been better and the home itself - well, it would be unfair to compare it to the one she left. The new home even offered to install cameras so my hubbie and his sister can 'check in' with how she's doing (they turned that offer down 😆) Happy for anyone to message, should you want info/updates. We plan on going there Christmas time to see her.