Care home won’t supply incontinence pads

Embly8

Mar 13, 2024
Hello, my mum has mid stage Alzheimer’s and went to a lovely care home 5 months ago which she loves. However, recently there has been a lot of staff leaving and a lot of issues which I’m trying to sort. One of them is my mum needs incontinence pads now - I’d put enough there for her when she went in but when they were running low I asked if the home could provide pads. The home has told me they only provide full pull up incontinence ‘nappies’ (sorry to use this word) but because my mum has leakage and not full bladder or bowels emptying they will not assess her or provide her with pads. Yet her need for pads is due to her Alzheimer’s. Had anyone else come across this? Just wondering if I can push them in this or if this is the same in all care homes? Thank you

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
You can make a referral to the local NHS Community Health Care Services

Care Home Continence Patient Referral Form​

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
get a referal, and get them supplies.

If you dont like what they provide, there are not really other altenatives unless you supply them. Id imagine they will have a bulk delivery in a couple of sizes and just use from a central store cupboard, rather than each have something different

Embly8

Mar 13, 2024
get a referal, and get them supplies.

If you dont like what they provide, there are not really other altenatives unless you supply them. Id imagine they will have a bulk delivery in a couple of sizes and just use from a central store cupboard, rather than each have something different
Thank you, just asked again for a referral to be assessed, sounds like they only have the large pull up pads available which I know my mum won’t wear at this stage. Thank you, it’s the endless pushing for their rights that gets you down!

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
In my mums first home where her continence was similar to your mums, I had to provide pads for her. Now she needs pads for double incontinence and they are supplied .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gill Fowler