Care home guilt

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Falls will happen..in the home..hospital and care home. Unless you are glued to that person 24 hours a day ....risks can be minimised but not eliminated especially as like my dad as he declined so did his mobility which became unpredictable. You haven't failed to protect her you have done the best you could in keeping her safe and cared for so long and now it is time in your mum's best interests that a team help you in that caring job it is because of your good care that your mum has been able to stay at home for so long. You will still be your mum's carer just a different one. The dementia is declining on its own...added to that the falls which could not be prevented unless you are Superhuman and none of us carers are...it is sometimes the case after a hospital stay that the decline accelerates. Please don't be hard on yourself you have no reason to be...save your energy for tomorrow and I hope the move goes smoothly. Remember dementia made this decision not you

Ambercat

Dec 4, 2017
Exactly how I feel a traitor and I start to think is dad really that bad perhaps he could go home then hubbybgives me a reality check. The betrayal feeling is awful so glad I’m not the only one. Also he was at home just sitting in the chair never going out.
I really feel for you, I have been in exactly the same position. My Dad is also physically very able, and he has good social skills so unless you know him well or spend a long time with him you wouldn't think there was anything wrong. He has mild Alzheimer's but was in poor physical health last year and numerous UT infections exacerbated the dementia and it was extremely scary. He was living on his own but calling me 20 times a day, forgetting to take medication or taking too many doses as he'd forgotten the day. I lived about 10 minutes away but I have children and I work, so it was impossible to be sure he was safe. he also rang me a few times in the middle of the night thinking it was daytime.
We had to make the same decision and the guilt has gone on for months. He moved into a care home near me in October and only now has he settled properly. he's never been desperately unhappy, but was constantly talking about 'getting out of here when I'm better' and 'this isn't my home, I will be able to go back to living on my own' He doesn't accept the diagnosis and just says he's lazy that's why he doesn't remember things.
Finally now, he seems to have stopped saying that. He still makes comments about everyone else in the home needing walking sticks or frames so he doesn't know why he's there. Also, the top floor is a dementia floor (he's on the residential floor) so he sees those residents and says "I don't have that, I'm not like them". There is always some guilt but I'm so glad we did what we did. I can now sleep at night and not constantly feel terrified that he's going to come to harm.
Hang in there, you have made the right decision and it may take a while but it will get better I promise.

Wigglesworth

Dec 29, 2017
We take Mum to her care home tomorrow, it’s hard to believe that at Christmas she was confident when moving around at home and could get out for a walk with me although her pace was slow. 3 falls over 3 days the last of which put her in hospital for 3 days; that was 2 short weeks ago.
She is not the person she was before hospital admission. She is now in the later/severe stages of dementia and I feel so guilty as though I have failed to protect her.

I write this having comforted her after a nightmare.
There is no way to stop the guilt process except to work through it.
There are so many of us in the same position.
I

I know exactly what you mean. My mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia in July last year. She is 73 and was relatively active and aware but then caught the flu from me in January. This resulted in a chest infection for her and finally after the 2nd time of calling the paramedics because she was practically comatose, and when she was awake, she was delusional and hallucinating,(despite her GP saying there was nothing wrong with her) she ended up in hospital for 2 weeks and has now had to go to a care home for assessment.

The decline has been rapid and frightening, she is not the person she was just a few weeks ago, I feel I have lost my mum and it is my fault, I didn't take enough care of her or push the doctor enough to treat the chest infection. If I could go back I would have stayed away when I wasn't well, but as my partner and I were her only visitors and if we didn't feed her she wouldn't eat, I didn't see an alternative. This is an awful disease, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I visit mum everyday in the home, and I look at this woman who looks like my mum and sounds like my mum but mum is no longer there. It brought it home to me when we had taken some photo's in of her dad and her children/grandhchildren which we put on the wall of her room. When mum was ok these were her pride and joy, cherised beyond belief. For the first two weeks they remained on the wall, however the other day they had disappeared, we spent some time looking for them but they haven't turned up yet. Whilst I am glad the loss isn't upsetting mum her comment of 'well I can go to the shop and get some more pictures' brought home the reality that she didn't even recognise them as pictures of her family anymore.

Jordrecr

Jan 24, 2018
I really feel for you, I have been in exactly the same position. My Dad is also physically very able, and he has good social skills so unless you know him well or spend a long time with him you wouldn't think there was anything wrong. He has mild Alzheimer's but was in poor physical health last year and numerous UT infections exacerbated the dementia and it was extremely scary. He was living on his own but calling me 20 times a day, forgetting to take medication or taking too many doses as he'd forgotten the day. I lived about 10 minutes away but I have children and I work, so it was impossible to be sure he was safe. he also rang me a few times in the middle of the night thinking it was daytime.
We had to make the same decision and the guilt has gone on for months. He moved into a care home near me in October and only now has he settled properly. he's never been desperately unhappy, but was constantly talking about 'getting out of here when I'm better' and 'this isn't my home, I will be able to go back to living on my own' He doesn't accept the diagnosis and just says he's lazy that's why he doesn't remember things.
Finally now, he seems to have stopped saying that. He still makes comments about everyone else in the home needing walking sticks or frames so he doesn't know why he's there. Also, the top floor is a dementia floor (he's on the residential floor) so he sees those residents and says "I don't have that, I'm not like them". There is always some guilt but I'm so glad we did what we did. I can now sleep at night and not constantly feel terrified that he's going to come to harm.
Hang in there, you have made the right decision and it may take a while but it will get better I promise.
Thank you thank you for replying to my post, this mirrors exactly my dad regarding what your dad is saying. Also dad is in residential not the dementia wing. He’s now saying he’s bored but at home he was bored and did nothing so nothing’s changed, a result of the disease socially withdrawing. He’s rung tonight but I actually didn’t pick up as I can’t bear the conversation but at least I know he’s not alone. You’ve given me faith to hang on in there. Almost can’t believe I may get my life back to some extent.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Thank you thank you for replying to my post, this mirrors exactly my dad regarding what your dad is saying. Also dad is in residential not the dementia wing. He’s now saying he’s bored but at home he was bored and did nothing so nothing’s changed, a result of the disease socially withdrawing. He’s rung tonight but I actually didn’t pick up as I can’t bear the conversation but at least I know he’s not alone. You’ve given me faith to hang on in there. Almost can’t believe I may get my life back to some extent.
At the end of the day, it is 'quality of life' which truly counts. There is nothing more demanding on the heart and soul, than having to address dementia - in whatever form - in a loved one. Unless you have done so, it is nigh on impossible to convey the actual level of despair, frustration, guilt, heartache, and so on, which becomes part of your daily life. So, the time comes when you have NO CHOICE. You cannot manage and your loved one, whilst believing they can do so - CANNOT manage, safely nor in actual fact. Dementia afflicts the brain in a manner which exacerbates confusion / communication. So you then have this painful dilemma as to both HAVING NO CHOICE, but to look to a care facility and yet wish you COULD care for your loved one at home or in their own home. But there is no choice. The prospect of something very serious happening (someone might wander from home - common) whilst you are not 'on watch', is a potential reality. This 'quality of life' can find a place within the care home environment. It takes a little time for a 'settling' to come about and when that happens, it is a definite plus for all concerned. In a GOOD facility, proper 'care' should be in place. That means proper and appropriate nourishment, hygiene, attention to all needs etc., a SAFE environment and a person-centred approach. Also, a team of carers instead of perhaps just that one family member struggling to cope, emotionally and physically alone! Despite all the angst, which can be very, very hard to cope with, once your loved one has 'settled' within the context of 'dementia world' - things DO improve. Observing from very close quarters (I volunteer in a Care Home) residents who are subject to varied presentations (Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, Vascular et al) I have noticed - without exception - how each person 'settles' in their own particular way. It is not an easy path to tread initially, but there is a definite light at the end of it. One of the ironical aspects of dementia, is that 'short term' memory can act in favour of those afflicted, i.e. people forget and often very quickly. Albeit one must always remember that 'feelings' can remain in place, despite not being linked to anything.

I should add here, that having cared for my own mother during a very difficult period and , which culminated in 'emergency respite' and subsequent admission into a Care Home, I do understand entirely the anxieties expressed in these posts. It was the most difficult period of my life to date in fact. Nevertheless, that 'quality of life', such as it was, which was given to my mother during the ongoing progress of the disease (Alzheimer's/Vascular dementia) whilst she was resident in the Care Home (very good) outweighed any notion of her still being at home and literally suffering the indignities inherent in the disease (incontinence, lack of proper facilities, having to be left alone whilst I cooked meals, precarious stairs, nighttime traumas etc etc.,) Every story is different, as is each and every person. Your own story is unique to you and don't anyone tell you otherwise. But it is not all dark. That is a fact. My warmest wishes go with this post, as one who is in total accord with all that you have expressed in your own piece.

Jordrecr

Jan 24, 2018
At the end of the day, it is 'quality of life' which truly counts. There is nothing more demanding on the heart and soul, than having to address dementia - in whatever form - in a loved one. Unless you have done so, it is nigh on impossible to convey the actual level of despair, frustration, guilt, heartache, and so on, which becomes part of your daily life. So, the time comes when you have NO CHOICE. You cannot manage and your loved one, whilst believing they can do so - CANNOT manage, safely nor in actual fact. Dementia afflicts the brain in a manner which exacerbates confusion / communication. So you then have this painful dilemma as to both HAVING NO CHOICE, but to look to a care facility and yet wish you COULD care for your loved one at home or in their own home. But there is no choice. The prospect of something very serious happening (someone might wander from home - common) whilst you are not 'on watch', is a potential reality. This 'quality of life' can find a place within the care home environment. It takes a little time for a 'settling' to come about and when that happens, it is a definite plus for all concerned. In a GOOD facility, proper 'care' should be in place. That means proper and appropriate nourishment, hygiene, attention to all needs etc., a SAFE environment and a person-centred approach. Also, a team of carers instead of perhaps just that one family member struggling to cope, emotionally and physically alone! Despite all the angst, which can be very, very hard to cope with, once your loved one has 'settled' within the context of 'dementia world' - things DO improve. Observing from very close quarters (I volunteer in a Care Home) residents who are subject to varied presentations (Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, Vascular et al) I have noticed - without exception - how each person 'settles' in their own particular way. It is not an easy path to tread initially, but there is a definite light at the end of it. One of the ironical aspects of dementia, is that 'short term' memory can act in favour of those afflicted, i.e. people forget and often very quickly. Albeit one must always remember that 'feelings' can remain in place, despite not being linked to anything.

I should add here, that having cared for my own mother during a very difficult period and , which culminated in 'emergency respite' and subsequent admission into a Care Home, I do understand entirely the anxieties expressed in these posts. It was the most difficult period of my life to date in fact. Nevertheless, that 'quality of life', such as it was, which was given to my mother during the ongoing progress of the disease (Alzheimer's/Vascular dementia) whilst she was resident in the Care Home (very good) outweighed any notion of her still being at home and literally suffering the indignities inherent in the disease (incontinence, lack of proper facilities, having to be left alone whilst I cooked meals, precarious stairs, nighttime traumas etc etc.,) Every story is different, as is each and every person. Your own story is unique to you and don't anyone tell you otherwise. But it is not all dark. That is a fact. My warmest wishes go with this post, as one who is in total accord with all that you have expressed in your own piece.
I found your reply so enlightening as I myself have to remind myself this is an alzheimers mind I am dealing with I easily slip back into thinking my dad is thinking and feeling as I would so your point of feelings can remain in place despite not being linked to anything is what I struggle with. Also has dad can dress himself and shower albeit when reminded a fact he doesn’t realise I start then to believe his pleas that he can cope. I have a wonderful supportive Hubby who has been my rock but I can see he can’t begin to understand the emotional despair I feel but as you say how could anyone unless they’ve done it. This reply has helped me greatly emotionally on the path to feeling less alone.

Baz22

Dec 30, 2017
South West
I found your reply so enlightening as I myself have to remind myself this is an alzheimers mind I am dealing with I easily slip back into thinking my dad is thinking and feeling as I would so your point of feelings can remain in place despite not being linked to anything is what I struggle with. Also has dad can dress himself and shower albeit when reminded a fact he doesn’t realise I start then to believe his pleas that he can cope. I have a wonderful supportive Hubby who has been my rock but I can see he can’t begin to understand the emotional despair I feel but as you say how could anyone unless they’ve done it. This reply has helped me greatly emotionally on the path to feeling less alone.

Have just read the full thread and it has made me feel a whole lot better. Mother in her 90's me in my 70's and after a lot of falls, paramedics and hospital trips we moved her to a care home last October. It has been a roller coaster ride between happy Mother and grumpy Mother. We have a rota so she has a visitor everyday and yet she tells staff "nobody ever comes to see me". She turned on me this week and the GUILT comes back despite doing the very best we can. She is in a better, safer place. Reassuring to read similar experiences - Thank You.

Baz22

Dec 30, 2017
South West
Have just read the full thread and it has made me feel a whole lot better. Mother in her 90's me in my 70's and after a lot of falls, paramedics and hospital trips we moved her to a care home last October. It has been a roller coaster ride between happy Mother and grumpy Mother. We have a rota so she has a visitor everyday and yet she tells staff "nobody ever comes to see me". She turned on me this week and the GUILT comes back despite doing the very best we can. She is in a better, safer place. Reassuring to read similar experiences - Thank You.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
I am delighted to hear that things are perhaps made a little easier by knowing that you are certainly not alone. There is much talk about dementia, about ongoing research into a possible cure, about this an that - statistics - the number of younger folk who now present with the disease, and so on. This is all well and good. But I have sometimes drawn upon an analogy, which seems extreme, if not absurd. It is this. When things were bad and exceedingly so, during my own journey through dealing with dementia in m own mother, if at the summit of that worst moment, terrorists had come knocking at my door and wished me harm, I would NOT have flinched. This a truth. It is a truth based upon a level of utter and total despair which I do not wish to see again. I have no problem whatsoever in saying this and meaning it from the bottom of my heart. I have been there. Hopefully, you will have passed beyond that state - albeit still difficult and demanding of heart and soul. With warmest wishes for the days and months to come.

Jordrecr

Jan 24, 2018
I am delighted to hear that things are perhaps made a little easier by knowing that you are certainly not alone. There is much talk about dementia, about ongoing research into a possible cure, about this an that - statistics - the number of younger folk who now present with the disease, and so on. This is all well and good. But I have sometimes drawn upon an analogy, which seems extreme, if not absurd. It is this. When things were bad and exceedingly so, during my own journey through dealing with dementia in m own mother, if at the summit of that worst moment, terrorists had come knocking at my door and wished me harm, I would NOT have flinched. This a truth. It is a truth based upon a level of utter and total despair which I do not wish to see again. I have no problem whatsoever in saying this and meaning it from the bottom of my heart. I have been there. Hopefully, you will have passed beyond that state - albeit still difficult and demanding of heart and soul. With warmest wishes for the days and months to come.
Bit of progress yesterday I decided to phone dad as I felt he wouldn’t be prepared with a conversation as he is always phoning me. He had rung 3 times over the last week in the evening but I did not pick up as i just could not deal with it, I know he’s in a home cared for so not alone and a great friend who has been through the same with her late mother advised me to just leave it as he has started sundowning. So I phoned and it was so lovely we had a great chat, he asked twice during the conversation about going home but I explained why and he accepted saying “so it’s better for me to stay here”. So I have a system now I will phone him in the day after 10.30 and if he rings me I don’t pick up as I know it means he is ready to whine and I will become as distraught as him. If anything was wrong I know the home would contact me. I know he will probably still have times when I ring when he is awful but at least I feel back in control as much as one can be with this awful disease. Interestingly I noticed him getting tired and drifting off in concentration during our call as his mind had had enough whereas in the evening I can’t get him off the phone and his mind is wired, another progression down the Alzheimer’s pathway.

Ambercat

Dec 4, 2017
Yes it sounds exactly the same, Dad also calls all the time to say he’s bored, and I used to try to explain that he would be just as bored in his own flat, but now I see that doesn’t really help, so I just suggest things he could do. He always has an reason as to why he can’t, he used to love sudoku but although he makes an excuse, I know he can no longer concentrate on that, but the conversation just replays several times. I am now able to see that he is much better off where he is, and definitely couldn’t live alone any more. As you said about your Dad, I know he’s not alone and he’s safe and that is a huge weight off my mind. I don’t always pick up when he calls as there are days when he calls more then 20 times. When he was on his own I absolutely had to answer in case he needed help, but now I know that if it were an emergency the Home would call. I therefore leave my mobile phone (he only has that number now he can’t remember the landline) downstairs at night, as he still forgets the time and I have missed calls at 5am.
You will never stop worrying but you will get your life back, knowing that your Dad’s safe. I always say to people that if Dad had a partner then he probably would have been able to stay in his own home for longer, but even with me 10 minutes away it was not safe as someone has to be there 24/7.
Once your Dad settles you will feeel better, but it definitely takes a few months.

malcolmc

Mar 11, 2017
Colchester
I feel so guilty, mum has been in the home for about a month, all not to bad..today when we arrived she was fuming,she was moved to a bigger room,nice view,on the ground floor as she needs less help,
Mum was firey eyed demanding she wanted out,that there was nothing wrong with her and they were ruining her life..
I did the blame the Dr bit..saying about her falling,and having been in hospital..but she recalls nothing of it..she said she was getting about doing everything ..had me doubting why she was here and feeling a traitor, especially now we are having to rehome her cats and her house will need to be sold....even hubby was on about could we block off stairs and she live downstairs..we know that won't work..she would just sit in her chair all day,not doing a thing.been there done that, its not feasible.
Distracted her,and got her to cone to the conservatory..she was pitifully slow , hip bad..needing zimmer..she
Calmed down for rest of the visit, but it really made me feel bad..had to give myself a reality check of how bad it had got trying to look after her at her place
Reading that, I can sadly imagine that's where I'm heading too! My mum is currently in hospital following a stroke, which has worsened her speech and cognition. This, on top of her vascular dementia (diagnosed in 2015), means she is most likely to have to move into a Residential Care Home. Mum is fiercely independent and stubborn, so whenever I have tried to broach the subject of possible Care Homes in the past she has gone ballistic. She has lived in a bungalow (partly owned by her, the rest by me) in her home town of 60+ years, which is 180 miles for me and my wife. She has no other close relatives in the UK. I've started to look at Care Homes near me, as she can no longer go out anywhere (beyond a local shop) as she gets lost. My wife and I quickly dismissed the possibility of mum living with us for practical reasons, plus I don't honestly believe I could cope with her mood swings and anger (huge guilt there). Your comment "saying about her falling,and having been in hospital..but she recalls nothing of it..she said she was getting about doing everything ..had me doubting why she was here and feeling a traitor" has huge resonance and I fear that's where i'm heading too.....

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Reading that, I can sadly imagine that's where I'm heading too! My mum is currently in hospital following a stroke, which has worsened her speech and cognition. This, on top of her vascular dementia (diagnosed in 2015), means she is most likely to have to move into a Residential Care Home. Mum is fiercely independent and stubborn, so whenever I have tried to broach the subject of possible Care Homes in the past she has gone ballistic. She has lived in a bungalow (partly owned by her, the rest by me) in her home town of 60+ years, which is 180 miles for me and my wife. She has no other close relatives in the UK. I've started to look at Care Homes near me, as she can no longer go out anywhere (beyond a local shop) as she gets lost. My wife and I quickly dismissed the possibility of mum living with us for practical reasons, plus I don't honestly believe I could cope with her mood swings and anger (huge guilt there). Your comment "saying about her falling,and having been in hospital..but she recalls nothing of it..she said she was getting about doing everything ..had me doubting why she was here and feeling a traitor" has huge resonance and I fear that's where i'm heading too.....
Very few of out LO want to move to a care home , as other posters have said need supplants wants.
Both my parents are in homes, Dad liked it, he was finding life stressful and having meals, laundry etc reduced his worries, Mum not so much “she can look after herself “ but as she can’t remember my name and asks me to buy her a boat ticket home no way!
I could maybe have looked after dad, but mum, never! Also like you my house impracticable , three stories. So lose the guilt, we do the very best we can to keep LO safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandzz