Care Home - Financial Assessment

feralcole

Nov 18, 2020
Hi everyone, we have to put Mum in to a care home, she has advanced Alzheimer's and my 88yo Dad can't cope as her main carer anymore. I don't live locally so can only get to them 2 or 3 days a week to help out. We have tried to keep her at home as long as possible, but she will be better off with the care a home can provide.

Almost a year ago we had a financial assessment done and Mum was declared a self-funder, at the time my parents had all their money in one account but since then I have executed my POA and separated their finances out so they have their own accounts. When they had their joint account they had some significant costs which directly related to my mother's conditions - a stairlift, a car to help Dad to get her to places (she also has vertigo and and is disabled) and they had to have the bathroom converted to an accessible bathroom for her - these all totalled around £16,000.

When I split their money in to two accounts, i "repaid" my Dad half of the £16,000 for the costs incurred due to Mum's conditions - effectively meaning that Mum has paid 100% of costs relating to her supporting her illness/disabilities. We are now going through a second financial assessment and the lawyer for social services says they won't accept the adjustment made to my father for the costs relating to Mum's disabilities. This seems very unfair to me, and seems to go against what the lawyer told me a year ago that any costs relating to supporting my Mum will be considered when assessing her finances. If they did accept the adjustment it would mean my Mum would be just under the £23,500 cap where Social Services have to step in and help pay for care.

Has anyone had any experience of doing similar? I would be really interested to hear of outcomes. Or if there are legal types on here, thoughts on whether what I have done should be considered, or am I being unreasonable? Thanks x

I have also asked Social Services why they have gone straight to a financial assessment before doing an health assessment for CHC, am awaiting their reply...

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I think you have a valid case here. Your dad lent the cash to your mum for the stairlift etc. You have repaid the loan. I would argue the toss on this. It isn't deprivation of assets, she needed those adaptations and borrowed to pay for them.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I suppose it could be said that your father, presumably a similar age to your mother, also gains from some of the expenditure. The car &the wet room for example.

I'd suggest 3rds might be acceptable - ie, Mum contributes 2/3 and Dad a 3rd. presumably he still has the car and benefits from it.

What is your Mums qulifier for CHC funding? Does she have a medical need over and above a 'care' need that would qualify? My late mother was insulin dependant & registered blind and it wasnt until she developed a serious heart inoperable condition ( and after CPR_) that she qualified.

Last edited:

Grahamfox1?

Jan 22, 2022
I think you have a valid case here. Your dad lent the cash to your mum for the stairlift etc. You have repaid the loan. I would argue the toss on this. It isn't deprivation of assets, she needed those adaptations and borrowed to pay for them.

Grahamfox1?

Jan 22, 2022
There seems to be quite a lot of issues surrounding what happens when you need to apply for local authority funding as you come down to the £23,000 limit , My mother owns her own bungalow so thats obviously considered as a asset for this purpose , Do the LA loan against the property ? How is the running/maintenance/insurance costs taken into account etc etc can anyone shed any light , Also how long do the LA go back approx to check bank accounts.
Any comments suggestions would be welcome.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Grahamfox1? and welcome to Dementia Talking Point, which I hope you will find to be a helpful and supportive community. I can't comment on how property is handled as our jointly owned house was disregarded from my wife's financial assessment as I live in it. Others have experience of this and may be able to give you more help. So far as the assessment goes, I believe that some Local Authorities ask for several years' of bank statements etc.

This link might be useful and you could look on the relevant LA website for further guidance.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Grahamfox1?
Is your mum still living in her own home? Assuming your mum lives in England or Wales - all the while they are receiving care at home the home is disregarded from the financial assessment. Once they move into a care home the property is considered part of their assets, unless it is still lived in by a spouse or a close relative either over 60 yrs old, or with a disability, in which case it is disregarded. If the property is considered to be part of her assets, you can go for deferred payment (basically a loan taken out on the property), but there would be a fee for setting it up and interest paid, so usually its best to sell it.

Grahamfox1?

Jan 22, 2022
Hi @Grahamfox1?
Is your mum still living in her own home? Assuming your mum lives in England or Wales - all the while they are receiving care at home the home is disregarded from the financial assessment. Once they move into a care home the property is considered part of their assets, unless it is still lived in by a spouse or a close relative either over 60 yrs old, or with a disability, in which case it is disregarded. If the property is considered to be part of her assets, you can go for deferred payment (basically a loan taken out on the property), but there would be a fee for setting it up and interest paid, so usually its best to sell it.

Grahamfox1?

Jan 22, 2022
Thanks for your reply regarding the property, I was coming to the same decision that selling would be best due to the accumulated costs of retaining it.