care home fees

dipnstrip

Feb 10, 2016
I have read through the various threads that cover this topic but every situation is different so does anyone know how my mothers situation would play out.
My mother owns her own house worth approx £250k (owned for 35 years and paid for ten years ago) and has aprox 40k in bank accounts. She has two sons myself included and we are both, and only us, named in her will. Mum 73 Me 50 brother 45. My brother moved out of my mothers house two years ago and very shortly after i moved in, in anticipation of her soon needing full time care.
Two years down the line and Mum has needed full time care for around 8 mths now. own a small businees that my brother works for and we earn a modest income.
What i would like to know is what sort of outlay my brother and i could expect to have to pay in order to provide a good care home for her when/if needed.
Do we pay a percentage or all of the cost if we try and preserve her assets for her will to proceed as she would have wanted. If we find it is too expensive for us, how would her self funding affect her assets.
Obviously i cant have exact figures i am just looking for a rough idea so i can at least try and get my head straight for all options.
Also heard that care homes want contracts signed. How does that work? Is my mother unable to move homes if she/we are unhappy with the care provided?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Care costs vary tremendously across the country, if you post the first part of your post code somebody may be able to give you a ballpark figure.

Contracts quite often have a two way cooling off period after which notice has to be given the length of which will be specified in the contract, in my wife's case it was 4 weeks either way.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I have read through the various threads that cover this topic but every situation is different so does anyone know how my mothers situation would play out.
My mother owns her own house worth approx £250k (owned for 35 years and paid for ten years ago) and has aprox 40k in bank accounts. She has two sons myself included and we are both, and only us, named in her will. Mum 73 Me 50 brother 45. My brother moved out of my mothers house two years ago and very shortly after i moved in, in anticipation of her soon needing full time care.
Two years down the line and Mum has needed full time care for around 8 mths now. own a small businees that my brother works for and we earn a modest income.
What i would like to know is what sort of outlay my brother and i could expect to have to pay in order to provide a good care home for her when/if needed.
Do we pay a percentage or all of the cost if we try and preserve her assets for her will to proceed as she would have wanted. If we find it is too expensive for us, how would her self funding affect her assets.
Obviously i cant have exact figures i am just looking for a rough idea so i can at least try and get my head straight for all options.
Also heard that care homes want contracts signed. How does that work? Is my mother unable to move homes if she/we are unhappy with the care provided?

we are in Northamptonshire and its around £1000 a week so if your mother has more than £14000 i think it is she will have to pay and sell her house

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"We are in Northamptonshire and its around £1000 a week..."

You can knock ~£300 of that for N Manchester.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
And add up to 700 for South Manchester

Yes a week in dementia care at 1400.

You probably need to specify what type of care you need.

If someone is confused and needs a hotel which will do their washing and navigate the end of their life then its cheaper than if someone has challenging behaviour.

Personally I would like to see a great deal more openess about fees. In in particular the fact that one provider will accept less in fees from a local authority for the same category of care.

I don't know..and I cannot see why it should not be the case that if a self funding person pays via the local authority that they should pay a higher rate. eg if there is a deferred payment agreement.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Firstly the provisions your mum's will have no effect on the financing of care home fees. The issue which might be relevant is that if you gave up your own home to care for your mum the LA might (at their discetion) disregard the property when calculating her assets.

Have a read through Annex B of the guidance, especially paragraphs 34 to 43 which explains in more detail.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../file/366104/43380_23902777_Care_Act_Book.pdf

However even if the house is not counted, your mum's savings are above the level where LA would contribute to the fees. As a self-funder she would still have her pensions (and Attendance Allowance which she should already be getting) and you would have more choice as to which care home you prefer.

When it was my mum, I was frankly relieved that I didn't have to argue with SS about whether she needed a care home place or which one it should be. The one we chose wasn't the cheapest, but she was looked after exceptionally well and the peace of mind was worth far more to me than an inheritance.

Frederic H

Apr 1, 2015
Devon

I am looking at how to manage care home costs I do recommend reading the Age Concern leaflets. What I did not realise is that the costs if self funding can only absorb the assets of the person in care and that if a partner or relative is living in the house then that is excluded from the assessment.
The CAB have all the info and worth a visit
Hope it works out

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
As already stated the "will" has no relevance till your Mother dies. In view of her savings and the value of her house she will be able to fund her own care for what hopefully will be many years to come. :) All her pensions and any benefits will off set some of it.

Your task is to find one that is suitable that can sustain her for the rest of her life. If you find that at some time in the future it falls short then she is free to move as often as she likes.

If you do not want to sell the house then when your Mother's savings get close to £23.250 (that will not take long:() then you can apply to the Local Authority for a Deferred Payment Agreement whereby they will pay and then on death you have to pay them back. This can be from any means and does not necessarily mean the sale of the house.

Only when the value of her assets and her house fall below £23,250 will the LA step in but the choice will be limited and if you want to keep where she is it normally means the family paying the extra.

Midlands area Nursing Home with non challenging behaviour average around £800-1000/week.

:)