Care home direct debit

DD1961

May 14, 2024
I recently sold my mams house to cover her care home costs . I informed the care home about the final sale cost . The care home sent me a list of direct debits with the dates that these payments would b taken . After costs my mams home was sold for £68,000 yet the care home direct debits total £71,000. How i stop the care home from taking the £23,000 that my mam is entitled to from the sale . I i stop the direct debit before the remaining £23,000 is taken..does anyone know who or what council department i get into touch with regarding funding the remainder of my mams stay in the care home , thanks denise

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
It sounds like your mum needs a financial assessment once her savings are about to reach £23,500 ( in England) at this point, she will still have to contribute towards her care with the LA meeting the rest of the costs until her savings reach £14,000. At this point she will contribute her pension towards her fees and the LA will pay the rest. Contact the local authority financial assessment team and talk with them about your mums situation.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Agree contact LA financial assessment team.

As I understand the situation mum has been self funding at a cost of £k71 and the house proceeds were £k68 which is insufficient to cover the debt.

Where needs or financial assessments made by the LA or did you choose a home and start self funding?

DD1961

May 14, 2024
Thanks everyone , me mam gets AA and a tiny pension , i wil contact local authority