Care Home Closing

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
We have just been informed that Mum's Care home is closing in 28 Days time. To say we are shocked is an understatement.
Apparently if failed the CQC on aspects of safety (fire exits etc) the care and wellbeing of the residents is great.
I just wonder where we stand. Can a care home just close and throw mum onto the street. We probably won't find anywhere else in our price range and even if we did they may not have room for a while.
Has anyone else had this happen to their loved one? What did you do?
Any advise or suggestions desperately needed.
Many thanks J

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I'm sorry to hear that you and your Mum are facing this @Concerned J. I don't have any direct experience of what you describe but know that the contract that I have with my wife's care home stipulates that it can be ended at a month's written notice. So, if your contract says something similar, the answer is probably yes it can just close in 28 days.

As to what to do, my first suggestion would be to speak to the manager to see if there are any plans for helping residents find and move to other places. You should also speak to social services as a matter of urgency, pointing out that a vulnerable person will be at risk. Others who read your post may have some better ideas than mine.

I wish you good luck in dealing with this most unwelcome situation.

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Just before Christmas like you we were given 28 days to find a new NH for mum because her current one was giving up nursing care. It was a total shock and I literally went into melt down. We were given a named social worker but no one believed mum would survive the move given her health etc. I spent so many days crying and was near to a breakdown over it. Mum is in late stages of this evil illness and her health is very fragile.

Fast forward 6 months - the social worker was beyond excellent and really understood my fears etc and went that extra mile for mum. Between us we found a new Nursing home and hand on heart it was the best thing that ever happened for mum. The new home are going that extra mile for mum in getting her up in a special chair and in the lounge and even outside on nice days. Her care is just outstanding.

So I guess what im trying to say is 1/ Speak to social services as matter of urgency and demand a social worker who has experience with this situation. Don't ask. Demand. Its is your mothers ( and yours) entitlement to have the support of a social worker in this situation . 2/ Get looking at new CH straight away. There will be a few people looking so get out there and be first in the queue so to speak. 3/ Stay strong. Don't crumble into the mess I did ( I ended up with a speeding ticket the day mum moved because I was so stressed. ) In mums case it was actually a really positive move but I just didn't realise it at the time.

Stay strong x