Care Home can no longer care for mum

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Update on Mum: We have waited three weeks for a place in another home, Mum was assessed last week and they said they would be able to take care of her, so she is moving into her new home today. This is a relief as we have spent the last three weeks picking Mum up from her old home at 10am and returning her at her bedtime(she is no bother overnight) as this is the only way they would keep her at the old place while we found another placement, we didn't want Mum to be given an emergency placement just to have to move again after a couple of weeks, there was a possibility the emergencey placement would have been thirty five miles away!
We are going to move all her things into her new place while she is being occupied by one of my sisters at her home. Hopefully that will limit any distress she may have about moving.
The move from the old home is probably a blessing in disguise as the new home manager is making a few changes that we wouldn't be keen on should Mum have stayed i.e. she has had all carpets taken up and replaced by laminate flooring, even in the residents lounge, everything is so echoey now! Even Mum says she doesn't like being in this 'hospital' because that is what it looks like now and I thought care homes were meant to be just that, people's homes, not clinical cold places.

Hi Zena I am amazed that you were expected to take your poor Mum home between 10 and bedtime, that must have been so difficult for you all, I hope they gave your Mum a reduction on the care home fees! Hope she settles in the new home and you are then able to finally relax xx

Ange