Care home at last

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
Thanks Canary. I don’t know why but I thought that him being in care would slow up the decline. Ignorance on my part. I maybe misinterpreted his settling in so well as an improvement. You’re right. Initially it was difficult to see the changes but just st looking back to this time last year, it’s clear now that his condition has rocketed along. One of the carers who used to look after him when he was home said that in her lengthy experience, it’s often the case that when some people go into care, especially if they’ve lived alone as he did, they sort of give up making an effort to survive. Or as you say they just loose their grip. It’s awful to see how fast this condition got a hold of him. Thanks again for you response. It’s very much appreciated.

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
Im sure it isnt moving into the care home that has caused his decline. I think its just that the point at which people with dementia need 24/7 care is the time when they start to lose their grip on reality and is also the time when they often start with incontinence.

When the dementia is advanced it is easier to see the decline which had been happening since before the diagnosis, but was harder to spot in the early stages
Thanks Canary. Yes, I was maybe thinking that his 'settling in' would improve things for him but of course you're right. There's nothing that will stop the condition advancing.