Can't feed mum

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Mum been in hospital with throat problems now back in care home but salt team put in the discharge letter that only carers or nurses can feed or drink to my mum and I'm no longer allowed as they don't want me to be responsible if something goes wrong but carers won't put the effort in than I do and can see her suffering because of it should I contact salt team to explain the situation or the manager thank you

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
If you are worried...and you are, then I would definitely talk to the manager. I would imagine that it has been written into your mum’s care plan what staff need to do? I’m not experienced in this, but my instinct would be to talk to the manager before the salt team. See if you get a good result there first...it will keep them ‘on side’.

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Also her drink got to be down on a spoon and no longer though a cup and thickner must be used can't see carers doing that as it take ages to get drink down my mum especially as care home is short staffed half the time

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Also her drink got to be down on a spoon and no longer though a cup and thickner
This is really common in later stages of dementia - I used to see it happening all the time in mums care home. Im assuming that the SALT team are worried about aspiration leading to pneumonia. Yes talk to the manager about it when she gets back.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Mum been in hospital with throat problems now back in care home but salt team put in the discharge letter that only carers or nurses can feed or drink to my mum and I'm no longer allowed as they don't want me to be responsible if something goes wrong but carers won't put the effort in than I do and can see her suffering because of it should I contact salt team to explain the situation or the manager thank you
I'm so sorry to hear about your mums drinking problems, heartbreaking to witness x

What is a salt team? I hope they can help her x

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Mum only had spoonfuls of food last couple of days they won't feed her unless she opens mouth by herself we can give drink but she on a high risk assessment for her swallowing dad had argument that carers are not putting the effort in doctor has took some meds away to help her but always tired now and because she is overweight we can't have supplements drinks to help her I know it's the end is coming but I have trouble expressing myself having trouble sleeping worrying about her worrying about my dad health trying to juggle my job around her sorry about the long rant but don't know what to do

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
I'm so sorry Jelba. I think one of the things that is hard to come to terms with is that as a person shuts down, so does their need and desire to eat and drink. It may seem to your Dad as if the home isn't trying hard enough but I think its important to respect that of she doesn't open her mouth she no longer wants to eat or drink. Making sure she is comfortable is what the Salt team does. I know it goes against all our instincts not to feed someone but in a way pushing calories into her may be just prolonging her going in an uncomfortable way. So in my view, sad as it is, it sounds like it might be time for both yourself and your Dad to let go of the idea that feeding her is a good thing or that she is being neglected by not being fed. Just a thought for a different perspective on it. My thoughts are with you, this is such a hard time for you.