Can we claim anything?

maldives

Nov 17, 2017
Hello all.
I have my mother who has very bad Alzheimer's and has been in a home for 3 years now, she is 86 yrs old.
My mum lost her husband (My dad) many years ago, and has lived in the same home they brought many years ago.
Mum made my brother legal next of kin, and went through the courts so he can mange all her money affairs, and also all care needs etc, I presume i get no say in anything?
The house was sold 3 months after she went on the home.
We have been paying for her care and have already spent £101, 500 in the 3 years she has been there.
The home that she is in at the moment is closing down and mum needs to get another place so they tell me in a Nursing home, as she can't stand long anymore and has lost the use of 1 of her hands.
My brother went to see this place and there's a strong chance she will go there as she has been assessed by the home already, my brother won't let me help at all or have anything to do with the money side of things sad but true...
The home mum's leaving has been shut down because it won't pass the test anymore...this year they took another patient in and this person had severe mental issues, and should never have been placed there at all, the staff told us that, anyway this person pushed my mum over and broke her hip/pelvis for which she needed emergency surgery that night, and from then has never walked or stood for long at all, if that was me dealing with it i would have done something more than just send her back there i would have taken action against them as she was left to sit all day in terrible pain until they couldn't get her to stand up to go to bed, they then called an ambulance and let her go in on her own!!!!
What i wanted to know is this home is better than the one she's at now but this will be at a cost of £895.00 per week that's nearly £50,000 per year! We have about £200,000 left at the moment, and my brother is sure that we must be bale to claim something towards mum's care, but i keep telling him she has to get down to £23,000 before anyone will help with cost's for her care, I'm presuming that's right? I'm worried that the cost is just to high and we will only have enough for 4 years care for her, and i have no idea what will will do after it's all gone, although the home she will be going to is second to none but the cost i feel is to high? Maybe I'm wrong i don't want you to think that I'm trying to say oh no mum can't go there it's to expensive, i think the opposite, I want her to be in good hands, as she knows none of us now and hasn't done for the last 3 yrs.
I'm so worried about this situation and wonder do any of you know if mum would be able to claim anything at all? All my parents have worked for all there lives has been paid for care and soon there will be nothing left, very very worrying times ahead i think........ any advice i would be very grateful for thank you..x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The best thing for your brother to do is ensure that any home which accepts your mother will, when the time comes, be willing to accept the la rate so that she would not have to move if the time comes that her assets reach £23k. The time to do this is now, as often a home will require x years of self-funding before they are willing to accept that rate.

There is no other financial help available unless your mother is eligible under some kind of charity scheme at this time.

P.s. she should be getting AA and she should be eligible for the FNC (nursing) contribution.