Can they force her into a care home?

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
Sorry to post again ...

Nan 79 dementia but undiagnosed due to her refusing a CT scan very bubbly has her off days but not many. In hospital atm due to her blood sugars a little bit up and down.
People looking after her me (her gradaugher been doing it 15 years) my mum her daughter. 3 care calls a day and 2 District Nurses for insulin. We have had a problem with the carers saying for 3 mins when they should stay for 30 mins. They ate menag go pesuade her to eat but they get off if she says she isn’t hungry ongoing problem. Hospital today said a safe guarding issue was raised. I called SS Who said she thinks the plan isn’t working anymore and they need to take other steps. Us as family think it’s fine and know my nan wouldn’t want a home. I’m worried they can force a home on her??! She always says she would rather be dead than be in one and I know she would go downhill in one just like she does anytime she’s in hospital. Please help

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If a safeguarding issue has been raised then this means that they are really worried - SS tries to keep people in their own home for as long as they possibly can. Are you really unconcerned that she is not eating ?!

Do not confuse being in a care home with being in a hospital. Most PWDs do not respond well to being in a hospital, but many of us (including me) have found that they thrive in a care home and get a new lease of life. Most people with dementia get to the stage where it is not possible to keep them safe at home and it sounds like your nan has reached this stage.

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
If a safeguarding issue has been raised then this means that they are really worried - SS tries to keep people in their own home for as long as they possibly can. Are you really unconcerned that she is not eating ?!

Do not confuse being in a care home with being in a hospital. Most PWDs do not respond well to being in a hospital, but many of us (including me) have found that they thrive in a care home and get a new lease of life. Most people with dementia get to the stage where it is not possible to keep them safe at home and it sounds like your nan has reached this stage.

My nan is pretty much still all there .. sorry unsure how to word in any other way. She doesn’t leave her home she loves it anytime she’s away from it she is upset. She loves her little dog. She always says she would rather be dead. She has never gone wandering never left anything on that shouldn’t be on, never fell .. just her sugars up and down and I know being in a care home would not help this as she would not be happy

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Problem is, if she isn't eating, then her blood sugars will not be stable. The weight on services requiring district nurses twice a day , as well as carers is quite a lot of support, as well as the support you offer

What do you see as alternatives to a home?

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
Problem is, if she isn't eating, then her blood sugars will not be stable. The weight on services requiring district nurses twice a day , as well as carers is quite a lot of support, as well as the support you offer

What do you see as alternatives to a home?
She is eating no problems apart from when she goes into hospital she refuses their food. Diabetic nurse said it’s rare for someone of her age to still be alive after having diabetes for near 60 years. She also said they will probably never balance her insulin levels, food and sugar levels out now due to her age. That’s why I know a care home isn’t going to either. She’s been in hospital 8 days and sugar levels stilll up and down

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
She is eating no problems apart from when she goes into hospital she refuses their food.

Diabetic nurse said it’s rare for someone of her age to still be alive after having diabetes for near 60 years.

She also said they will probably never balance her insulin levels, food and sugar levels out now due to her age.

That’s why I know a care home isn’t going to either. She’s been in hospital 8 days and sugar levels stilll up and down

I managed my mothers diatetes well into her 80's , not sure why age has anything to do with it.

Don't you/doesnt she balance her insulin with blood sugar testing before food? Meal by meal, aiming for a reasonable baseline reading? I really dont get that its all shot because of her age.

Sugar levels do go up and down, thats what insulin units do. Who manages her diabetes?

Last edited:

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Check it’s ok with the ward manager, if ok can you take in a “take out “, something you know she loves. A special sandwich, fast food, anything, eat with her.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
At present we are caring for a 91 year old, whose had diabetes for at least 50 years, her blood sugar level is 6-10 regularly. On 26 Insulin units.
But she has to eat properly.
This sounds to be your problem, not eating properly, I doubt this could be fixed without at least full time care.
A good Care Home, once she has settled, will give her a great new out look on life, it did for my father, best decision we made for him.
Her alternative is a serious risk of either hypo or hyper blood sugar, neither of which she will recognise, let alone do anything to alleviate.
Time has come to consider her safety rather than feelings.

Bod