Can I ... Should I?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sam - glad to hear you had a good holiday, back posting a little for now.

Glad to hear your mum is in a good mood. Hope you've told her it's midnight and she's gone to bed.:D

With the clothes, do you think the time has come to limit her access to her clothes? I know you want to keep her as independent as possible, but this includes minimising your stress and hers for as long as possible.

I think some of this sorting and looking and getting rid of is part of the confused brain knowing it needs to do something, with these clothes, but not what that something is. So by removing clothes to the minimum, you reduce her anxiety as she can't process and what to do with them, which includes the charity bag chucking. It does mean you need locked space somewhere else to put them.

Also with the food choices, I know my mum struggles with food choices, so I just put things on her plate. If you still want to give your mum a choice is it worth giving a choice of two things rather than an open question.

It took me ages to explain to OH that children need closed questions - ie do you want to have fish fingers, not what do you want, and I can see with my mum that closed questions minimise her anxiety, and she knows how to answer, with an open question or too many choices she either gives up and says 'whatever you think I should do' or gets anxious knowing she should answer, but doesn't know how. I quickly change the subject when this happens and she quickly forgets.

I know it seems wrong to treat our PWD like this, and but in total it is about minimising stress which leads to the best outcome possible. I think trying to make PWD with dementia happy is not always possible, but minimising stress and anxiety, and choosing something as simple as toast or cereal can be stressful, is the route to making them happy.

I can’t mend my mum, I do know that. I keep fighting the system, to try to keep her calm, to give her dignity & some control

Keeping her calm might mean taking away choice but it gives her more dignity if choice upsets her. You have to work out how to make her perceive she has control I think, a bit like guiding a teenager.

And re earlier comments I'm another whose mum doesn't live with me, I couldn't have ever had her live here, I would have just spent all day every day being cross with her. So you have done a fab job for your mum ever since you moved in and before with your neverending weekend journeys.

I'm glad you've had your initial counselling assessment and hope you get the dates for your 12 sessions soon. Just tell a love lie when you go out which mum will accept, it will go down better than telling her nothing. Maybe a smear test every week (can't get the smileys to work to insert here)

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Sam - glad to hear you had a good holiday, back posting a little for now.

Glad to hear your mum is in a good mood. Hope you've told her it's midnight and she's gone to bed.:D

With the clothes, do you think the time has come to limit her access to her clothes? I know you want to keep her as independent as possible, but this includes minimising your stress and hers for as long as possible.

I think some of this sorting and looking and getting rid of is part of the confused brain knowing it needs to do something, with these clothes, but not what that something is. So by removing clothes to the minimum, you reduce her anxiety as she can't process and what to do with them, which includes the charity bag chucking. It does mean you need locked space somewhere else to put them.

Also with the food choices, I know my mum struggles with food choices, so I just put things on her plate. If you still want to give your mum a choice is it worth giving a choice of two things rather than an open question.

It took me ages to explain to OH that children need closed questions - ie do you want to have fish fingers, not what do you want, and I can see with my mum that closed questions minimise her anxiety, and she knows how to answer, with an open question or too many choices she either gives up and says 'whatever you think I should do' or gets anxious knowing she should answer, but doesn't know how. I quickly change the subject when this happens and she quickly forgets.

I know it seems wrong to treat our PWD like this, and but in total it is about minimising stress which leads to the best outcome possible. I think trying to make PWD with dementia happy is not always possible, but minimising stress and anxiety, and choosing something as simple as toast or cereal can be stressful, is the route to making them happy.

Keeping her calm might mean taking away choice but it gives her more dignity if choice upsets her. You have to work out how to make her perceive she has control I think, a bit like guiding a teenager.

And re earlier comments I'm another whose mum doesn't live with me, I couldn't have ever had her live here, I would have just spent all day every day being cross with her. So you have done a fab job for your mum ever since you moved in and before with your neverending weekend journeys.

I'm glad you've had your initial counselling assessment and hope you get the dates for your 12 sessions soon. Just tell a love lie when you go out which mum will accept, it will go down better than telling her nothing. Maybe a smear test every week (can't get the smileys to work to insert here)
I agree there comes a point when giving choice on too many things and in too many ways complicates matters and makes caring even harder. Limiting options to just a few allows the pwd still to feel as though they are making a choice but also allows the carer to keep things manageable for a while longer.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @jugglingmum

Yes, the holiday was good, much needed lol. I want to go again around October, just need to find a willing victim to share the cost of the room & meet at mealtimes. I won’t be going to museums or trekking for miles, but chilling & sleeping is good

Told Mum it was late (about 11) & she said she was going to bed. I’m going to try “late” & “nearly midnight” rather than times, I’ll see if that gets her off earlier. I put the TV on & fell asleep. Still, it did mean I got an early night lol

If Mum is in a reasonable mood, I’m going to try sorting some clothes. The hard thing is finding tops that go over the cast, but still keep her warm. Yes, even though it was hot & sunny yesterday, she still had leggings & jogging bottoms on, with vest & 2 jumpers. I was in shorts & a vest top! I didn’t bother to argue, but she was at the bottom of the garden, on the swing when I got home. So, over the threshold, down a step. A few twists & another step down the path. Naturally no zimmer or stick in use. Her decision. Physio are not best pleased, but what can I do? She’s going to trip or lose her balance & fall, but she will not a see that.

I usually just cook & serve. This last week she’s been very critical asking “what is this?” or pushing the food around & screwing up her face in disgust. In hindsight asking what she wanted was not the right thing to do, but I was getting fed up of her attitude. Back to no choice & just serving up. At least the weather is a bit better, so potato salad & crunchy salad are back on the menu. At least I know she still likes those. I am struggling with foods that can be eaten with just a fork or fingers. The cast is off next week, so two handed eating will resume :)

I know making Mum happy is a fantasy, I should know reducing her stress & anxiety is as close to that as I can get. Rookie mistake & I'm blaming it on my slow return to Carer mode. I shall resume leaving the room & closed questions :). Nudging her like a teenager isn’t working now, I have to be more positive about what is happening, I think I need some new phrases :-(. I’ve just tried, “thought we’d drive down to the seafront & walk Pooch” & that went down ok. She did just agree to the rollator, but we will see if that happens. Fingers crossed.

Tbh, I never thought I could live with Mum again, I’ve not done it since I was a child & that was stressful. The first few months were awful, but I read so much once I discovered TP, I’m eternally grateful for Ann’s honesty in How Bizzar, it helped me restratagise & coping mechanisms for the tantrums. I never wouId have thought of leaving the room, or offering so much cake :). I can’t say that I wouId still have moved in if I’d read before selling up, but who knows. I try to take it a day at a time. No long term plans to be cancelled. It’s the only way to go. Don’t remind me if the weekend journeys, I shudder when I think of them. Climbing in the car & pointing the car at Sussex instead of home on a Friday was not easy.

I might tell Mum I’m doing a course & off to see my lecturer lol. It’s sort of true. I can bend the truth, but I’m a hopeless liar, so easy to spot when I’m less than truthful. I’ll just have to see how opening Pandora’s Box feels.

Well, the sun is out, it’s 18* & will be hotter tomorrow. I’m finishing my coffee then taking Pooch for a walk. These walks are working at last. I managed to weigh him yesterday & he’s almost lost his excess 2kg!

With the new law on dogs not allowed loose on the front seat of a car, we bought a travelling crate. Encouraged him into it, then used luggage scales to check his weight. He seems to like the crate, we’ve left it in the lounge so it’s not a scared thing to him. :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It was a rookie mistake @Love my dad, totally blaming it on return to Carer mode not engaging lol

I spend enough time telling brother & eldest about KISS & less is more, only to break the rules myself. Duh. How dumb can I be :)

So, back to closed questions & looking for new phrases to get Mum to do what she needs. Most used (no zimmer), seems to be “bad choice Mum”.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I agree there comes a point when giving choice on too many things and in too many ways complicates matters and makes caring even harder. Limiting options to just a few allows the pwd still to feel as though they are making a choice but also allows the carer to keep things manageable for a while longer.

So annoying when someone succinctly sums up what you wrote in paragraphs, always wish I could write less:D

Sam - you are never going to stop her doing things, in any environment, even with 1 to 1 care, she would fall, at least she was enjoying the swing. Like toddlers, they damn well pick up on how to wind us up so just let it wash over you (easier said than done).

A walk by the sea sounds nice, I have 2 loads of washing on the line, third in machine and 2 more lined up to go afterwards. BBQ last night so all clothes in wash, son's winter coat was 'walking' and in machine and his sleeping bag is in queue after his weekend away, when he got into it fully clothed and covered in mud.

And what new rules about not having dogs loose on front seat, I put mine in footwell of front seat the other day:confused:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Sam, part of my is glad that you are getting back into 'carer mode' as it makes things less stressful for you. Part of me wishes you could have remained in 'holiday mode' for much longer!

Yes, reducing options helps. Like with toddlers, asking whether they want to wear x or y, again I'm afraid :( When we went out for a meal I would read the menu and then ask whether Mum fancied meat or fish, then give 2 options from her preference (knowing what kind of things she liked to eat). Later on, I would chose something I knew she liked and ask if she wanted the same and that worked when she could no longer cope with the 2 choice system.

Of course, we all know how difficult we find it to deal with evidence of the step down :(

(((hugs))) to all you brave, strong, caring women.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
So annoying when someone succinctly sums up what you wrote in paragraphs, always wish I could write less:D

Sam - you are never going to stop her doing things, in any environment, even with 1 to 1 care, she would fall, at least she was enjoying the swing. Like toddlers, they damn well pick up on how to wind us up so just let it wash over you (easier said than done).

A walk by the sea sounds nice, I have 2 loads of washing on the line, third in machine and 2 more lined up to go afterwards. BBQ last night so all clothes in wash, son's winter coat was 'walking' and in machine and his sleeping bag is in queue after his weekend away, when he got into it fully clothed and covered in mud.

And what new rules about not having dogs loose on front seat, I put mine in footwell of front seat the other day:confused:

Lol @jugglingmum I can write a book trying to explain, while others do a one liner. My one liners are usually put downs to very rude people.

I do say I am living with an 80+ year old toddler & oh yes, she always finds the quickest wind up possible

I’m going to have to go check I did turn the machine on, thank you for the timely reminder, I could have been hanging dirty clothes lol

Errrr. New law just come in this month. Dogs cannot be loose in the front of a vehicle, so it’s seat belt, crate or some barrier to prevent them getting into the front. It’s a £2,500 fine, I got told as a friend knows 2 people who were fined the day the law changed :-(

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent

Haha :D Oh no...you may have seen from some of the other posts I waffle inarticulately on and on....zzz!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
It was lovely here yesterday, OH and I went out for an ice-cream and a short stroll yesterday. I suspect TM and I will go to our riverside pub this afternoon. I might even wear a dress!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Slugsta

Holiday mode was great, but getting into Carer mode makes the here & now workable. At least the sun is shining, always puts Mum in a better mood. Please will everyone stop mowing their lawns though ... I know I’m going to be nagged to do ours :-(

The last few times we’ve gone out for a meal, I’ve just told Mum what she’s having, sort of, “you always like their steak” & then kept the conversation going until the order is made. Tea & cake was much the same, how about chocolate cake Mum. I know some people critique me doing that, but I know it’s less stressful for everyone.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Carefull @Slugsta ... is it really dress weather :eek: says she in shorts :D

I’m trying to remember how to make iced coffee, I worked it out last year, but I’ve forgotten. I might just do banana milkshake today & ponder the recipe later

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Carefull @Slugsta ... is it really dress weather :eek: says she in shorts :D

I’m trying to remember how to make iced coffee, I worked it out last year, but I’ve forgotten. I might just do banana milkshake today & ponder the recipe later
I’ve skipped the recipes altogether and am drinking Becks ....while wearing a dress!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I thought we had a loverly day yesterday. Mum joined me on the garden swing, she snoozed in the sun, it was very peaceful. I made banana milkshakes, which she said was delicious & she’d forgotten how good they were. Potato salad, with prawn fio dinner & watched some TV before she took herself off to bed a little after 11

For no reason at all, when I tried getting up to “help” her into bed, my back was a ball of pain & I had to climb the stairs on all fours. Very dignified lol. Apart from that there were smiles & laughter most of the day

This morning .... not so good

The Carer arrived at 09.30 :). Brilliant thinks I, no complaints about times today. Optimist lol

We walk in to find Mum in her wardrobe, she’s changed over the clothes she put out last night. She’s added a second pair of joggers & removed a top. Interesting. I go to put one pair of joggers back in the drawer & get a very cross “I need those”. She’s then telling me how she needs a blouse, I hold up the one she’s put out (this morning) & she’s really cross about it?

She then stomped into the bathroom & slammed the door in my face :-(

Great start. Poor Carer.

Whatever happened while she was sleeping to have her wake in such a foul mood?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Oh dear...Dad's mood could turn on a sixpence as the saying goes! I would go out of the room come back a couple of minutes later and he would be completely different so what happened while I was gone...continuing dementia happened!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
TM and I went to our riverside pub and were lucky enough to see quite a bit of the kingfishers. I did wear the dress and TM approved (OH doesn't know how to give a compliment, TM is very good at it!) :)

I'm sorry that Mum's mood changed as it did and am hoping that today's sunshine restored her good humour.

Friday evening - rum and coke o'clock for me, accompanied by Green + Black's dark chocolate ginger today :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @love.dad.but.. , yes that horrid dementia again. I just wish I could find what the triggers are now. They used to be “relatively” easy to spot, now, not so much

Much later, Mum said she’s in pain when she wakes up, apparently that means she can be stroppy with me & it’s ok :-(

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I guess it’s that old thing Sam...that we can be nice outside the home, but we need somewhere to let off steam..and your mum needs an audience...and it’s you.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Good that you got a nice day out & a compliment @Slugsta ... I could do with those, they make such a difference :)

The sun was out again, so I got Mum down the garden, where she promptly fell asleep lol. I even Immac’d her legs as she’s determined to get some razors. Hopefully I’ve headed that one off for a few weeks.

Good humour returned until the Carer arrived at 19.20 ggrrrrrr. I grabbed the paperwork & bundled her in the lounge so Mum could continue with her soap. I’d even phoned the agency this morning & strongly suggested they get it sorted. I also had a call from the agency telling me of a change in Carer for tonight .... as they still haven’t managed to send me the rota’s, it doesn’t make any difference if they change a Carer, as I didn’t know who was coming. They also got a blast about the evening call times.

Fish & Chips were not as good as usual, but so far while not great, Mum is at least not huffing & puffing at me :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5