Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Mum’s just finishing week 2 of the care rehabilitation package, she had a week of the crisis team, but apparently that’s separate

Mum is saying she will be able to manage in her own “next week” a lot. She wants the night time ones to stop, but seems ok with the morning ones, at least for the moment. I’ve got S the cleaner coming in 3 times a week & she’s accepting that, no argument. She didn’t put up any objections to me getting brother & S to stay with her on Saturday when I went off to TW

I’m pushing Mum to keep the care going, until she’s signed off by the stroke team, but it’s a daily conversation, if they say she needs longer than 6 weeks, then it will continue. It’s just the implication today that she may need longer that’s thrown me. I should know stroke recovery is a long road, seen enough if it with various people, but I was naively thinking she’s going to be safe to be left for a few hours, but now I’m thinking I am wrong.

I am trying to think ahead @jugglingmum, to ease in support ( where I can find it) & yes, as she’s got care now, it wouId be “easier” to keep it going than to reintroduce it in a week or months time.

Next week she gets to try going outside. Just walking down the garden path, but they say they have to have double handed Physio for that! They are impressed at her determination, many of the support workers say they’ve not seen anyone go up or down stairs as quick as she does. Not bad for an 83 year old :). She’s certainly stubborn enough to prove them wrong

She bounces from wanting to die to fighting to get out & walk pooch o_O

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I think I’ll walk the pooch & then do battle with the surgery. If I phone them now I’ll just scream & get nowhere

Still no prescription for Mum & her irritated bladder, yet another early morning lung full of urine, it’s such an unpleasant way to wake up. I know she can’t help it, I know she’s embarrassed, but it doesn’t make the bed any easier to strip, or the walk to the washing machine any more pleasant

My muttering this morning, while gagging ...

Work hard Sam
Get a degree Sam
Don’t go into nursing Sam
Yet here I am .. armful of ammonia
Gagging

I’ve drunk a whole cup of coffee :). More layers required as it’s blooming freezing out there & I'm off to find fresh air & a better mood

Last edited:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Well I was feeling better ... as I’m about to leave, telling the Carer I’ll be locking them in, but the key is on the table (otherwise it’s open), Mum, very critical, says “aren’t you going to walk pooch this morning Sam!” Nice start

We got to the seafront, I can just about see the sea & it starts to snow. Oh well, at least we got out, but I’m not going any further as it’s uphill on the way home & it can get slippery, so I’m not chancing a fall

Thank the Carer, while I unclipping the lead, set the table, put the milk on to heat, warm the bowl (get told off if I don’t!), breakfast is served, my turn. Flip the kettle on, saying over my shoulder, “can you sit at the table, instead of twisting in the chair please Mum”, my daily request as she has her chair at a right angle to the table & twists to reach food, tea etc

The normal temper tantrum follows as she bangs the chair around. Only this time, she shrieks & I spin back to see her doubled over the table, pinned by the half upturned chair

First off, I thought she’d knocked the chair legs out from under themselves, her temper tantrum being the cause, her temper has probably been the cause, but not in the way I thought

I’m now behind her, holding her up, trying to right the chair, but it won’t work, so I kick it out of the way enough to manoeuvre her to another chair, by which time she’s crying. Check her over, nothing hurt, just shock.

Turn my attention to the chair. It’s an old antique “granny chair”

http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/524669/original-victorian-revolving-oak-desk-chair/

A bit like this, but tapestry seating, about 100 years old, apparently worth a few bob! Not any more it’s not. Me thinks her temper tantrum banging it around may be the cause, but it’s now minus a leg

Bring it on, I can cope, someone has obviously decided to view my attitude as a challenge:-(

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
What day is it? I think I’ve lost the plot, I think it was Thursday today

So on Wednesday I get to juggle everything to go for a pre Op assessment that the hospital forgot to arrange. It’s that or no Op. it’s definitely under a local, so I’ll be in & out in no time

Fast forward, my easy to cover (it’s relative) support for Mum, was for 12 noon, now it’s 07.30, not easy, but bless S the cleaner, she picking me up & dumping me at the hospital, then staying with Mum for a few hours & collecting me

So after midnight, when I’ve tucked Mum into bed, I’m doing notes for the carers as I won’t be here. Making up med boxes (blister pack not right & this weeks isn’t here yet) ...aaarrrggghhh

Med wash shower & crawl into bed, can’t skeep, at 03.00 I’m still tossing & turning, but thankfully the alarm wakes me at 06.00. Another med wash shower, creep around to not wake Mum, kiss her goodbye at 06.45 & I’m off with S

By the time 10.00 comes around, I’ve given my consent, repeated my details numerous times, each time I’m told it’s under a local. I’m struggling to be awake, no mobile phones allowed, no jewellery so I’m straining to see a clock high on a wall. Hey ho, it’s not so bad

Finally, I’m taken in to change. Do you ever just think ... errrrr. I’m handed a bucket, which should contain gown etc, to put my clothes in, but there is no gown & no surgical socks. I joke that the theatre staff will run away at that show. I’m given a gown

Bare foot (not pregnant) I wait around again. In comes a man, to take me through to theatre. He starts telling me about the procedure, blah, blah, blah .. your throat might be sore afterwards due to the breathing tube. STOP. Wait right there. No. This is being done under local, breathing tubes are used in general

For 4 blooming hours, they have confirmed local, as they are about to walk me to theatre, they tell me it’s changed to general. I’m swearing. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. He asks if I’m nervous, thinks I’m panicking about me. Tell him I need to make arrangements for Mum

Yup. I held up the list. Big blooming deal.

Turn on the mobile, call S, explain & give her big brothers number. She says not to worry she will sort it, she will keep Mum calm, tell her I’m still waiting to go in & nothing about change to general. That girl is a blooming star

Mum, both sons & I just don’t wake up from general. We sleep. Shortest is 6 hours, longest was nearly 8 hours in recovery! I tell him, keep it light. I can’t be here 6 hours. I get to theatre, Sussex make you walk through & climb on the bed at the theatre doors! Essex wheeled you. Whatever. I’m introduced to the team :rolleyes:

There are 2 anethatists I tell them both, I don’t wake up well, Mum has Alzheimer’s & also had a stroke, I’ve juggled care just before walking to them & I can’t be there another 6 hours. Keep it light, please.

Best part of 3 hours later I wake up. It was a 20 minute Op :eek: First question, how do I get you to let me out?

Drink tea, eat toast, use the bathroom. Great, can I have the tea please. Drank that. Nurse realises I’m serious, she ran around, did my Obs, got me toast, ate that. More Obs, offered the bathroom, off I went. More Obs & she agreed to discharge. She did the paperwork while I dressed & called S. She walked me out. Thank you nurse, you were amazing, totally got that I needed to leave

Ok. Now I’ll admit the truth. I could have slept more. I was rubbing my face to force myself awake. That tea was too hot, but it was going down. The toast was as dry as a bone & I struggled, but it was going down. Maybe not good, but I passed their tests. Maybe they need different tests

S had explained to brother she needed to go home, he came, she left. I called her & she came to collect me. I need to do something really nice for her. I don’t ask for help easily, but I had to today. She delivered, no issues, no complaint, just smiled & helped. I’ve known her 5 minutes, I’ve known some of my friends 20 years. It’s humbling what she did for a virtual stranger

Got home & Mum was fine. Brother had caught a train to be with Mum & caught one home to carry on working. S took me shopping made sure all was well & went home to walk her dog, she walked pooch with me first.

Getting Mum to help me tie a bag over my arm so I could shower was a reminder of my blooming toe :D Did it though. I felt soooooo much better.

J came round to check on me. Bless her cotton socks lol. She had to help me plate up the take away, then left us to eat. That curry was delicious, mind you I think cardboard wouId have tasted as good.

We’ve had cuddles. I think Mum was a teeny bit worried about me.

My fingers have full movement & sensation. My thumb has movement, I have sensation at the tip, but from the nail bed back I have no feeling at all. I know there was a risk of a dead area, just have to see if the feeling returns

I didn’t mean to worry anyone by not posting anything, I was just rushing about so much, juggling the various needs I didn’t have any time. Thank you for caring.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Oh, .sam ....I’m so sorry. I thought my life was bad at the moment, but this sounds awful...and you sound like a star!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Goodness me, what you've been through! Thank goodness for the support you had. Wishing you well.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Amy in the US

I’m a tough old bird really lol. I survived & today I’ll get some rest. I slept pretty well & the feeling is coming back in my thumb, so that’s good news.

Slight twinge if I twist my wrist & I'm definitely not using it to open any jars, but I’ve worked out how to grip the coffee jar in the crook of my arm to open it. Where there’s a will & all that lol

It’s just tested to pour down, as the Carer arrived. Pooch only got short walks yesterday, so he needs a good one, but I’m not sure how happy he’ll be in the cold rain.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Oh, .sam ....I’m so sorry. I thought my life was bad at the moment, but this sounds awful...and you sound like a star!

Hi @Amethyst59 its not so bad & we survived. Mine is fleeting irritations, I juggle the mess ups & get it back on track, no lasting impact on our lives, in many ways we have it much easier than you & others.

I’m no star, I was al, over the place yesterday, the general sure messed with my thinking lol. No idea how I thought I’d be able to chop onions for tonight’s dinner, that’s going to be a laugh. No chance in me asking Mum, she always was hopeless.

We have plenty of wine & CM, so we will manage :)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sounds like S was a super hero, odd how you can sometimes rely on someone you've not known long, maybe the start of something good in your mum's care, especially as your mum accepted her. And your brother managed to find the train station!

I remember being desperate to be discharged once after a 20 min GA procedure (2nd D & C after 2nd miscarriage) and I'd drunk eaten and pee'd and it took another 3 hours for them to bother to do the paperwork. OH told me off for being too insistent the first time I mithered them, and then he was starting to stress an hour or so later, and apologised to me, as our dau was due to be picked up. I knew that it had taken ages when I'd had the first miscarriage to be let out, so that was why I started the pestering early.

I was told after GA to sleep as much as possible in first 24 hours and then recovery will be quicker.

I need to take dog out here, was hailing heavily 10 mins ago and now sunny. Not sure I can walk (sciatica -see post on so bizarre).

Well done for getting it all sorted.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @jugglingmum

S was definitely the lady of the hour. I want to do something for her as a thank you, but I know so little about her, I’m not sure if she likes flowers, chocolates or a massage.

I can’t get over how much Mum likes S, she worries about her, Mum wants to help S & seems to be taking the “cleaner” as her way of helping out s girl in need. Whatever works, it’s fine by me. I’m taking money from mums account & paying her, mum is treating it like helping her out lol

Yay at brother finding the train station. It must be all of 4 minutes walk from his front door!!

It’s strange when I think about it. I’ve had people turn up at my door at night with a bottle in one hand & tissues in the other, knowing they can walk in, drink, cry & collapse in the spare room (always ready for visitors), but I didn’t feel I could ask a single one & no one offered :-(. I’m sure they think Alzheimers is catching. Yet Mum is doing so well, you wouldn’t know anything was wrong. The things she can do she does fine, no one needs to see her trying to cook, or make a bed, they see her making her own tea & walking pooch & think she just s liyylr old lady

By the time I was coming out of the general I think everyone knew I was going to be “that” patient lol. The nurse was absolutely brilliant. I kept on about Mum & how I had to get home. I suspect she has a relative like Mum, she hustled & bustled, got the Obs done on the button. There were 2 others on the ward, but she did me first every time. Even walking me out to the exit to help me leave ASAP

I know how long & drawn out discharge can be, D&C after second miscarriage took forever, tut husband left me to it :-(. Discharge after spinal Op was a real push, took me 5 doctors to finally agree to Physio talking to me, but once I’d seen her & found out what I had to do, I got her to sign off. Still took a few hours for the paperwork. I wasn’t able to wait this time, I was out the door just over an hour after waking up!!

My plan is to take it easy & rest up today ... all things being equal ... I’ll see how that pans out lol. I do have a reason to sit still though. I’ve been researching the family tree, let it slide with Mum, but I’ve been itching to get back to it. I got an email notification yesterday from a relative on my Mums paternal side. That’s the side I really can’t find anything for. So we’ve been emailing constantly. I’m really excited & will be sat in front of the laptop doing research.

I must catch up on threads, I’m just about keeping up with this & Amy’s, but hardly anything else. Lazy bones me :-(. :). Hope you are taking it a bit easy & your sciatica improves.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @Margi29 you are such a tonic. I’ve talked to Mum & will be searching holidays. She’s just rolled over on me arranging people to come in & check on her while I’m away :). Big brother will just have to step up, coz I’m blooming having a holiday, he will have to deal with it.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Thank you @Margi29 you are such a tonic. I’ve talked to Mum & will be searching holidays. She’s just rolled over on me arranging people to come in & check on her while I’m away :). Big brother will just have to step up, coz I’m blooming having a holiday, he will have to deal with it.

Well he knows where the train station is now :rolleyes:

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
What a time you have been having :(. Glad op went well, if not according to plan!, and that you managed to escape and get back home. S sounds a star, a reliable and unphased star. Hope you can now find time to breathe and plan a well deserved holiday. Take it easy and DON’T overdo it :rolleyes:.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Rolypoly

Just the normal cares life, if it can go wrong ...., but we survived. Yes, I’m so lucky to have found S, ironically, she was asking for help on a site (helpfulpeeps) & I offered. It was something I’m interested in & thought it wouId do me good as well as help out. Karma is a strange thing

Yes Mum. I’m taking it easy lol. No choice really.