Can anyone recommend an easy to use mobile phone app

Michael.

Aug 22, 2018
My Dad who has mixed dementia is forever getting confused using his Android mobile phone, so much so that he regularly just turns the phone off in frustation which doesn't help anyone. Rather than replace his actual phone with another simple to use device, I am looking into the possible use of an app. There are a some apps on app store but a few of them have negative ratings so can anyone recommend a tried and tested downloadable app for Android that is easily used? We just require simple phone functions only such as call/recieve/emergency and that the phone defaults to the phone use app screen on switch on. Many thanks

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi Michael,

My dad, who also has mixed dementia, didn't do very well with his mobile phone either. Although he seemed quite competent with using a smart phone when someone was with him, he soon forgot how it worked and we were always getting calls (from his landline) telling us his mobile was broken and could we take him to get a new one...

Three phones later - by this time he was on a Doro (which was also broken according to him) - we realised there had been nothing wrong with any of the phones just dad's ability to use them. Dad was always a bit of a techie, always fascinated by the latest device, so this came as a shock.

At this stage dad was still driving himself to town and buying his own phones - although he often used to call and tell us he couldn't remember where he'd parked his car :rolleyes:...and we'd have to hunt for it..

In short, I'm not aware of an app which would help and a Doro would only help for a short while. Dementia can fool even the most foolproof!

Sorry not to be more positive.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH has gone through several different phones. I dont think his present one has been switched on for months. In fact, he does not even use the land-line anymore. I think it has all become beyond him.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
My husband is using a Doro. It is set to answer when opened, and he uses the quick call button to call me. He can still manage to do that, but sometimes forgets to put the phone to his ear when he answers, which leads to some interesting conversations!

Michael.

Aug 22, 2018
Hi Michael,

My dad, who also has mixed dementia, didn't do very well with his mobile phone either. Although he seemed quite competent with using a smart phone when someone was with him, he soon forgot how it worked and we were always getting calls (from his landline) telling us his mobile was broken and could we take him to get a new one...

Three phones later - by this time he was on a Doro (which was also broken according to him) - we realised there had been nothing wrong with any of the phones just dad's ability to use them. Dad was always a bit of a techie, always fascinated by the latest device, so this came as a shock.

At this stage dad was still driving himself to town and buying his own phones - although he often used to call and tell us he couldn't remember where he'd parked his car :rolleyes:...and we'd have to hunt for it..

In short, I'm not aware of an app which would help and a Doro would only help for a short while. Dementia can fool even the most foolproof!

Sorry not to be more positive.
Thanks for this reply, it's so sad when previous techies cannot perform the simpler tasks anymore due to Dementia.

Michael.

Aug 22, 2018
My husband is using a Doro. It is set to answer when opened, and he uses the quick call button to call me. He can still manage to do that, but sometimes forgets to put the phone to his ear when he answers, which leads to some interesting conversations!
Thanks for this...I will look into and consider a Doro. Actually my Dad picked up the TV remote and held that to his ear the other day....so sad for someone who was previously tech savvy.

Michael.

Aug 22, 2018
My OH has gone through several different phones. I dont think his present one has been switched on for months. In fact, he does not even use the land-line anymore. I think it has all become beyond him.
Thanks for this reply, sorry to hear that.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
My OH has long since been unable to use a mobile or landline phone, the microwave or the TV remote. I have put the devices away and while it is frustrating to drop whatever I am doing to e.g. change channels for him, it is better than having to re programme devices after he has pressed every button in a random manner.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum's landline stopped working (so she said) and so I got her a basic mobile, which the next time she visited (she lived 200 miles away) she returned the phone saying she couldn't make it work. I hadn't fully realised that she had dementia and it's implications at this stage, although I suspected.

With hindsight I think that she just couldn't process what was being said to her on the phone, she has some deafness but some of her issues are (and with hindsight were) clearly processing what had been said to her. For at least 2 years prior to her landline failing she had ended all phonecalls very abruptly once she had confirmed my first brief question, and this again I put down to difficulty processing what was being said.

I therefore think with a phone in particular, once initial difficulties arise, all attempts to work round them are likely to be very short term (and at the time quite disappointing to the carer).

Michael.

Aug 22, 2018
I have now loaded an app on Dads Android called senior's phone that allows just call, text and has an SOS button to press which sends a text to the carer and a map reference. Technically it seems to work but now for the true test as I have left it with Dad to try. I will keep this thread informed as to how we get on.

Gillywood

Feb 5, 2021
Thankyou I was considering a Doro but there were some negative reviews which put me off but I guess I may try it.Is there one that is voice activated?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I would consider getting him an Alexa echo show. That way he can start to use the voice control.
Also very nice for him to receive video calls on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare