Buying a doll for mum

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I'm considering buying a doll for my mother who has mixed dementia,she loves little kids and babies and her face lights up when she sees them on tv,at the moment she has a nice collection of cuddly toys that share her bed and I thought of getting her a doll,Can anyone tell me if they think this would be a suitable thing to do or would it bring problems?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Lots of Pwd have them. Certainly OHs care home had a large stack! Try a charity shop, likely to be cheaper. There seem to be more charity shops around than toy shops, at least here!
They may be only useful for a short time, but it’s worth it.
OH used to sleep with a toy dog, and me, for a year or so!

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thanks people I had a little worry about what social services etc would think about it in their wisdom,maybe they would think I was treating my mother like a child

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thanks people I had a little worry about what social services etc would think about it in their wisdom,maybe they would think I was treating my mother like a child
Yes, of course, we all worry about things like this!! Think it would be lovely idea. And I sleep with teddy bears too. warmest, Kindred

spbeagle

Oct 20, 2016
My Mum had a doll, nothing special, just a child's toy, but she loved it at first sight. At that time she lived with me and she took it to bed with her every night and carried it around when we were at home. After a few weeks she said she should not have it - I asked her why and she said it was too much responsibility, so I said that's alright, I'll look after baby at night. She was happy with that and still liked to carry the doll around when we were at home. Several years later, Mum is now in a nursing home but baby is still with her and, although she doesn't normally carry it around with her, she still likes to look after it at times and her face normally lights up when she sees it.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I bought a couple of dolls, various sizes, but all with a soft body, cost from a charity shop = £6. Bought a few clothes too = 50p, some fit some don't. One doll out at a time and mum changes their clothes. At moment she is not interested, but in a few weeks I will bring smallest one out again and put on her bed. I am tempted to buy a small second hand cot from my local charity shop. I did have a moses basket, but she really did not understand this, she thought it was just a bag and of course she packed it with magazines. My mum seems to be aware that they are toy dolls and has never referred to them as babies, but they do amuse her for a short time. I have a few things from charity shop that may be classed as 'childish' but they work in keeping mum focussed on something harmless for a while. An Abacus is her thing at the moment, not for long, but it gives me a chance to get on with something else other than trying to stop her wandering around the house.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thanks everyone,I was looking at a local selling site on Facebook and there was one for sale,I missed out but asked the seller where she got it from and she sent me a message saying it was from Mothercare with a link,it's a little baby boy with the sweetest face,she will love him

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I bought a couple of dolls, various sizes, but all with a soft body, cost from a charity shop = £6. Bought a few clothes too = 50p, some fit some don't. One doll out at a time and mum changes their clothes. At moment she is not interested, but in a few weeks I will bring smallest one out again and put on her bed. I am tempted to buy a small second hand cot from my local charity shop. I did have a moses basket, but she really did not understand this, she thought it was just a bag and of course she packed it with magazines. My mum seems to be aware that they are toy dolls and has never referred to them as babies, but they do amuse her for a short time. I have a few things from charity shop that may be classed as 'childish' but they work in keeping mum focussed on something harmless for a while. An Abacus is her thing at the moment, not for long, but it gives me a chance to get on with something else other than trying to stop her wandering around the house.

Thanks I have fidget blankets that I purchased from Ebay a couple are double sided and one of the sellers offers them at a good price

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
My Mum had a doll, nothing special, just a child's toy, but she loved it at first sight. At that time she lived with me and she took it to bed with her every night and carried it around when we were at home. After a few weeks she said she should not have it - I asked her why and she said it was too much responsibility, so I said that's alright, I'll look after baby at night. She was happy with that and still liked to carry the doll around when we were at home. Several years later, Mum is now in a nursing home but baby is still with her and, although she doesn't normally carry it around with her, she still likes to look after it at times and her face normally lights up when she sees it.

That was lovely to read,thanks

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Lots of Pwd have them. Certainly OHs care home had a large stack! Try a charity shop, likely to be cheaper. There seem to be more charity shops around than toy shops, at least here!
They may be only useful for a short time, but it’s worth it.
OH used to sleep with a toy dog, and me, for a year or so!

Yes it's like that in my town too with regards to charity shops I love them,mum has a real cat that joins her on the bed too sometimes but he has to be directed to an appropriate part of the bed by me patting a pillow that I place to the side

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes it's like that in my town too with regards to charity shops I love them,mum has a real cat that joins her on the bed too sometimes but he has to be directed to an appropriate part of the bed by me patting a pillow that I place to the side

When I used to take my dad to charity shops he would always buy a teddy bear but only if it was a little one.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No one's going to judge you - doll therapy is actually a recognised form of therapy. My OH used to cuddle dolls at the Day Care Centre and once brought one home as he wouldn't let go of it! He also had a teddybear he loved.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think it's a lovely idea, I'm glad you've found one which will be right for your mother. My mother's care home has a pram with a few dolls which is kept in the sun room for residents to use as they wish. My mother has never been remotely interested in babies or dolls but she loves animals and I've populated her room with about a dozen soft toys (mainly dogs and cats). She likes to sit holding one and chatting to it if she's feeling sad or poorly - it was particularly useful when she was in hospital last month, because she had something familiar and comforting to cuddle.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I think it's a lovely idea, I'm glad you've found one which will be right for your mother. My mother's care home has a pram with a few dolls which is kept in the sun room for residents to use as they wish. My mother has never been remotely interested in babies or dolls but she loves animals and I've populated her room with about a dozen soft toys (mainly dogs and cats). She likes to sit holding one and chatting to it if she's feeling sad or poorly - it was particularly useful when she was in hospital last month, because she had something familiar and comforting to cuddle.
Thanks,mums in a hospital bed as she could no longer bare weight so I can't give her as many cuddles as I would like,she can tuck the new doll under her arm though when she gets it

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
My sister in laws sister in law wouldn’t go to bed at night she hit on the idea of getting her doll, now she goes to bed no problem because she has to put the ‘baby’ to bed so her husband is getting a full nights sleep again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch