Both parents with very different dementia journeys

mrstanyajane

May 29, 2024
Hi all, my parents have both just moved into care together as they could no longer cope on their own. My dad has a rare dementia, PPA - the same asphasia that Bruce Willis has and my mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. Dad's condition is now advancing quite rapidly but I am not sure how advanced mum is.... she's just started medication to help.

They aren't coping. I'm their only child. It's been a LOT. Hubby has been amazing.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If hubby needs a day off we are here for you, you need a day off then same but doubled and and a cyber hug from me. K

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome @mrstanyajane to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your parents. It's so tough for you, having both parents on different dementia journeys. I hope you can take some comfort that they are in care together, and being well cared for 24/7.
You will always find support and understanding here from people that really do want to help. I'm sure ' it's been a lot', so do please also use this space to let off some steam or have a rant when you need to. Wishing you strength.

PurePlatinum007

Mar 4, 2024
Hi all, my parents have both just moved into care together as they could no longer cope on their own. My dad has a rare dementia, PPA - the same asphasia that Bruce Willis has and my mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. Dad's condition is now advancing quite rapidly but I am not sure how advanced mum is.... she's just started medication to help.

They aren't coping. I'm their only child. It's been a LOT. Hubby has been amazing.
Hiya,

I've logged in after being part of this for a loooong time.

This journey started many years ago with my dad and fast forward until now.

Dad has mixed dementia; NPH and Alzheimers. He was not diagnosed with mixed dementia until last year after entering the system in about 2018.

I took mum to her GP and we went through the memory clinic for her diagnosis which is now 2 years ago.

They've split up, tbh they should have decades ago. But it became a safeguarding issue when dad punched mum, twice.

She is in independent living with a care component on top. I was told that her situation is no longer viable and two days ago she tried to get on a bus, she hasn't for many years so this is a new state of being.

I want to explain all this because I understand how hard juggling is. I care for both parents but I don't do this FT, nor do I want to and this is also okay. So now, Dad is still at home with carers and Mum now needs a nursing home.

I may as well be an only child, my brother is incommunicado by choice and lives abroad. Even if he was here it wouldn't be helpful. He has been in touch with them twice via phone in two years, just to my mum. Mum lives near me and my dad lives 68 miles away, his choice. I'm doing my best and end up organising things over the phone for him. So, caring at a distance and coming to mow the lawns etc.

Whilst our situations aren't the same, I can feel some of what you feel and just wanted to share some highlights from my Mum and Dad's story.

Keep doing your best, let us know how you're getting on please. I can see the OG post is from last month.

SueS72

Jul 11, 2024

Hi, I've just joined because my mum has the same as your dad! I always tell people "it's the same as Bruce Willis" too!! My dad died last year of Vascular Dementia. I'm an only child too.... its so hard

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Radford