Both parents with Dementia

Gill70

Feb 4, 2023
Hi
I'm newish here. Been hanging around for a bit but never posted.
Both my parents have dementia and we are struggling at the moment.we are getting a needs assessment next week.
Does anyone know the ethics of installing cameras?

Thanks Gill

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Support Frum (previously Dementia Talking Point) @Gill70.
The question of cameras comes up quite a lot, so I did a search using the search bar at the top and this is what it came up with:
Some of the threads will be old so you might not get a reply from the people that posted, but it should give you a bit of an idea of the pros and cons. I never used them with my mother, as I'd got rid of her broadband at about the time they would have been useful.
This is a very friendly and supportive place, and I'm sure people who have used them will be along with their thoughts very shortly.

Hermann

Sep 24, 2023
What stage of dementia are your parents at and what do you need the cameras for?

CrazyBunny

Jul 3, 2023
Hi
Both my parents have dementia and we are struggling at the moment.we are getting a needs assessment next week.

Thanks Gill
Hi,
I do not know your situation but I can only tell you my viewpoint. I guess that the fact that you are thinking of cameras is because you are worried about your parents' welfare. I already had cameras installed in the communal areas of the house even before dementia became a problem; they were there for security. I personally would have a problem with cameras in the bedrooms or bathrooms; even without them, you could see when someone enters those rooms and how long they have been there for. Ethics are a very personal thing. As the dementia has progressed, I have learned to become more practical and safety comes first.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I have them. Love them. Mum was told and didn’t object. Although I live with her They have enabled me to go out for short periods. I know She is relaxed and content - never gets off her chair.

Would they understand and agree if asked?

If they don’t have capacity and they are needed for safety I would hope no-one official would object!

David Marcus'Brown

Feb 14, 2022
Devon
Hi

Thanks Gill
I don't know what I would do without cameras installed. My mother has 2 carers a day. She has a camera at her front door which helps her feel safe as i can see who is coming and going. Sittingroom, kitchen, top of the stairs looking down. So I can check on her. But also, recently my mum has been wandering down to the shop and causing upset. So new care assessments took place. Keeping her at home is my battle. She would be terrified in a home. But that day may have to happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980